slf-uk

Wheelhorse D-160

I have this week off work with lots of outside jobs to do. This morning it was raining and as I was not feeling great I decided not to get wet. Instead I went into the workshop looking for a small job to do and I decided to look at the D-160. I rebuilt most of the mechanics about two years ago and then dumped it in the corner, so I decided to re-commission it. By the time I had it running the sun was out so I took it for a run.

The exhaust stack from a full size tractor (can't remember which one)  makes it sounds great with no fumes for taking the boy for rides.

After taking it for a run it went back in the workshop and I got a Bolens out to do some real work  :hide:  The real reason was the D-160 does not currently have a hitch fitted and I can't remember where I put it.

Iain

post-276-0-08325000-1409254425_thumb.jpg

Diggerjames,

Do you have any attachments with your D200? Both of mine have even have the PTO's missing from the front of the engine. My D200 does have a PTO shaft running front to back and 3pt linkage.

Iain

I had a D200 Iain

That had 3point linkage & 5ft mower on the rear B)

Like a muppet I sold it to a mate who has run it into the ground & now awaits restoration

The PTO clutch on it has blown so needs replacing

Hi mate no I haven't any attachments at all for it I ended up making my own 3 point linkage . I have a thread on red square doing a full nut and bolt restoration ! Good luck with yours

I had a D200 Iain

That had 3point linkage & 5ft mower on the rear B)

Like a muppet I sold it to a mate who has run it into the ground & now awaits restoration

The PTO clutch on it has blown so needs replacing

No chance of buying it back then Chris ??

I don't suppose anyone has a starter motor they want to sell? The magnets have broken up on the D-160 starter. I have glues the bits back together and it works most of the time, however a replacement would be great.

Iain

post-276-0-42307100-1409571715.jpg

I don't suppose anyone has a starter motor they want to sell? The magnets have broken up on the D-160 starter. I have glues the bits back together and it works most of the time, however a replacement would be great.

Iain

Hi Iain, if the 16hp K series starter is the same as other smaller K series starters then I think I may have a spare starter.. I will have a look when I'm feeling well enough to head out to the shack.

Ian,

This looks almost perfect. I can't remember mine having a slight overhang with the bracket on the drive end. I will check tonight and get back to you.

Thanks

Iain

With a big thanks to Ian the D-160 now is fitted with this

post-276-0-91863100-1411375655_thumb.jpg

It works great and now I just need someone to paint the rest of the tractor to match.

I quickly fitted a tow hitch to it over the weekend and was using it to pull a trailer around. I have no idea if it was fun to drive because my 7 year old lad decided he would do all the driving. It is a very easy machine for him to drive because he can get by without using the peddle.

Iain

Ian,

thanks again for the starter however I am less sure about the advice about taking control.

It would be easier throwing favourite toys away than extracting a tractor from a seven year old. He has already worked out which of my tractors he is going to have when he leaves home.

Iain

Today I decided to do some work on the D160. It has been in storage for nearly two years and if I remember correctly the last time it was used was when Tom used it and I believe it kept cutting out.

My D160 came out of the factory as poverty specification and it was supplied without a tow hitch or lights and did not have 3pt, PTO shaft or wheel brakes. With the help of friends in the US plus some parts from Harry (via Chris) I have collected a few bits to put on it. It now has lights and a tow hitch and I have most of the parts to put a 3pt on it.

Before I started I kicked a few things out of the workshop to give me plenty of space, they are a big machine.

IMG_1543.JPG

I then pulled the complete fuel system off and cleaned out the horrible smelling fuel. The carb got stripped down and went through the Ultrasonic cleaner.

With the fuel tank removed and with no 3pt or wheel brakes you have lots of space at the back.

IMG_1538.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

It is not uncommon for the panels on these to rust under the fuel tank and mine even has a hole in the panel

IMG_1542.JPG

I hope to have it running tomorrow and then I can focus on some of the repairs I have planned.

Iain

Iain, that's  a damn fine looking machine that. It's interesting to see two D series WH on MOM at the same time.

Just out of interest, how good is your ultrasonic cleaner on the carbs? Also how quick is the turnaround? Keep meaning to invest in one myself

Glad to see you are recommissioning it. Let me know if you need any more parts as I have doubles of a lot of the important parts, almost another complete hydraulic system! Will look forward to se it up and running again:thumbs:

18 minutes ago, Triumph66 said:

Iain, that's  a damn fine looking machine that. It's interesting to see two D series WH on MOM at the same time.

Just out of interest, how good is your ultrasonic cleaner on the carbs? Also how quick is the turnaround? Keep meaning to invest in one myself

The Ultrasonic cleaner is fantastic tool especially on carbs, the hard bit is finding the right cleaning fluid to use. I have used caustic soda which is the right price

but a bit too harsh for alloy parts. I am now testing a fluid specifically designed for carbs and it appears to work well. Earlier in the week when I cleaned the

1962 RAM carb I also put in the glass bowl from the tank tap/filter and it went from brown to looking like new. When I clean the 1961 RAM carb I will take some before and after pictures

12 minutes ago, harryt said:

Glad to see you are recommissioning it. Let me know if you need any more parts as I have doubles of a lot of the important parts, almost another complete hydraulic system! Will look forward to se it up and running again:thumbs:

Thanks Harry, I am planning to make the remaining parts I need for the 3pt but I know I am missing some bits from both of my D-series, just need to remember which bits.

Iain