neil

Drake & fletcher Orchard sprayor with lister D engine looking for info

I have a Drake & fletcher Orchard sprayor pump that i am looking to get some information on , does anyone know anything about these  pumps ?

This is the only picture i have of the sprayer at the moment so ignore the little tractor at the front, i will get some better pics later

It has a Lister type D endine that needs comissioning & it also needs a new or restored pressure gauge then she is good to fire up , but because my mechanical skills isnt up to much  I dont think i have the confidence to get this up & running , so i would like to know if there is anyone that knows anything about this type of pump to help me get her working . would love to see it working for the spring time

post-5-0-72725000-1390248588_thumb.jpg

Neil, I suppose you've already found these sites but I thought I'd post them so you know there is still info out there on them.

Engine data: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/ListerData/spec.htm

The next two links are from tha National Archives:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=007-drake&cid=-1#-1

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=007-drake&cid=0#0

It looks like there is a lot of documentation there if you can figure out how to access it. I couldn't.

Are you missing the Pressure Gauge entirely ?, or do you have an original that may need replacing? . Wondering if you know what make/type you need exactly.

Edit - Also Neil, you would have to go to the Museum in Reading to view the Drake n Fletch Docs, as they are not digitised online (yet).

120 documents on file for them and from the lists I've seen, some may well cover your Unit type.  

Edited by Anglo Traction

Richard, thanx for the reply , The pressure guage is made by Drake & Fletcher and is missing the glass front which isnt too much of a problem yet but i would say that the guage could do with being restored . I dont know if the guage works as i havent been able ti fire up the pump yet .

I was considering selling the the sprayer as i have a few bills to pay but i feel once i let it go i would regret it , so i would like to get it going & have a play with it first but what with all my other projects it will have to wait its turn , so i think i would rather pay someone to get her going . I dont think the Lister D engine would take much to get sorted out , it is probably just the magneto that just needs sorting out

Pressure Gauges are sensitive precision instruments. Depends if it measures water or air pressure.

They have what is called a 'Bourdon Tube' inside that is at risk of damage if water settles in it and freezes.

It is likely the gauge was made to order by another company such as Brannon (been around for a century), they produce the dial with the customer name... bit like Clock makers/retailers.

Glass faces are replaceable.

You shouldn't have a problem finding a 'Lister' Man or information......fix it up!. Good piece of 'Old Tackle'          

I will get some pics of the pressure gauge & post them

The drake & fletcher pump is virtually all brass & would look amazing if it was polished up .

Im not sure whether to paint it all when i get it going or to leave it original .?????

I think it would look great painted but i also like it as it is

any comments anyone?

hi neil the lister d that we have driving the saw bench is still mounted on its original trolley and both trolley and d still retain their drake and fletcher brass plaques this unit started out as a vegatable washer or so we are led to believe it came from inverness where it had been in the same family from new belonging to the war ag ? will stick some more photos when time permits    thanks   danarmdave       ps i left it in its working clothes and it gets loads of attention

Edited by danarmdave