Thorn1979

Ransomes Conquest makeover

So we've waited until this little project was complete to show it off.

post-215-0-52236100-1411225615_thumb.jpg

I got bored of racing green and decided that the retro shape of the Conquest needed something more stylish... This will probably horrify the purists out there, but meh.. What do you think?

post-215-0-56767500-1411225594_thumb.jpg

There's 1.5 acres here that needs mowing, and the plan was originally to give this machine away as a gift cos it's not much use here. I don't think we can bear to part with it now though!

post-215-0-09371500-1411225605_thumb.jpgpost-215-0-02820500-1411225622_thumb.jpg

The roller, by the way, was a bargain buy - it's a rolling pin. The grass-bag is made of a shower curtain, the side of an old PC tower case, and a metal bean pole.

That's fantastic Alison, you did the right thingy by not painting it green, the new colours suit the lines just fine :thumbs:

I will second what Neil said above.... "we would love to have a thread on your restoration process"    :)

TBH there wasn't that much to do to it, there was surface rust but it was in pretty decent nick. All we did was sand the old paint (right back to the metal on the main cover), repaint everything (using some old red lead primer that had been knocking about for years), Martin sharpened it, and added the new roller which was just a rolling pin, we regreased everything and put it back together. The grassbag was just kinda cobbled together after looking at photos.

Oh and I think he made a plastic bush on the lathe, for where the handle connects on, cos it rattled.

I love the shape of them, and I want another - I can imagine one in grey with a big red shark-teeth mouth! Or with WW2 bomber-style artwork, a glamour girl astride a bomb Flymo..