Charlie Smith

Oh no, Its true... I've got the the wheel horse bug.

Hello all, 

yes it is official, I have a case of the wheel horse bug! My third horse now, I've still got some catching up to do, especially with Mr. Showman..

This one isn't the best out there It needs a bit of welding and engine work, I'm just going to drop a new engine in there and slowly work on the one that's in there over winter then keep it up for a spare. needs the normal, new tyres , seat , decals and paint... 

some of you may have seen it on that auction site this morning, but with a bit of discussion we came to a price that i was very happy with! he explained that its not working, its 'ONLY' a lawn mower with no deck... a little later in the conversation he said that he spent £30 on parts for his VW camper last night and if i could just cover him for them that would be great, so i sure enough snapped up his hand and made a deal...

got a few things on my hands now what with the round hood lawn ranger, now this lawn ranger and another little cart I'm in the middle of doing 

post-131-0-65905000-1412017173_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-64742900-1412017218_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-50336500-1412017257_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-55656900-1412017313_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-47798600-1412017369_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-27398400-1412017423_thumb.jpg

Indeed, I love it! And to be honest with you I haven't looked at the engine closely just yet, so I couldnt tell you anymore, will be out there tomorrow looking about, so as of this evening your guess is as good as mine..., seeing you have three! Could you tell me where the ID tags are located?

Indeed, I love it! And to be honest with you I haven't looked at the engine closely just yet, so I couldnt tell you anymore, will be out there tomorrow looking about, so as of this evening your guess is as good as mine..., seeing you have three! Could you tell me where the ID tags are located?

Should be on the left hand side of the chassis on the top, near the carb area.

b19cdd1c4bf3b8fb0084be898e67ced0_zps4b75

Awesome! Little rangers are fab, we've got three in the family :D

Look forward to the restore! :thumbs:

Btw is that the original v70 engine? Cowl looks too square - not a Briggs is it?

I looked a little closer at the engine this morning, however rain has now stopped play... I'm not too sure if its a V70 as it looks a bit different in shaping, however it is a Tecumseh with a serial number: 2325D

post-131-0-79179800-1412069715_thumb.jpg

As for other stuff this morning i didn't get much done due to rain, but the tractor model number is: 2-0230

serial: 129 129 ? 

whilst removing the bonnet this morning, something popped into my head. i know a lot of you have little names and nick names for your machines, so i thought why not... whilst removing the bonnet the name popped into my head, 'Iron Man' and this is why...... what with the headlights, the bonnet and grill...  :lol:  :lol:

post-131-0-86571800-1412069511_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-58133800-1412069530_thumb.jpg

Last thing, can someone tell me is there anything missing round the gear lever, it looks like something has been cut out? 

post-131-0-97688300-1412069609_thumb.jpg

Look's like you did well with the price Charlie. The Engine is original. It's a V80 150018 (number is under the silver paint below the label in your pic). 

Tractor is a 1973 model and there is no panel missing as the gear lever is a Wand type and the Fwd/Rev Speed numbers  are around the edge of the aperture. Illustrated Parts List is available, just type your model number into the search box in this link- https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro〈=us_en

So that's your winter fully booked for refurbishment work :)

Look's like you did well with the price Charlie. The Engine is original. It's a V80 150018 (number is under the silver paint below the label in your pic). 

Tractor is a 1973 model and there is no panel missing as the gear lever is a Wand type and the Fwd/Rev Speed numbers  are around the edge of the aperture. Illustrated Parts List is available, just type your model number into the search box in this link- https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro&lang=us_en

So that's your winter fully booked for refurbishment work :)

:goodpost:  saved me looking up the model Richard :D

looks pretty original then charlie - except for the new choke knob :P

I do have the parts manual though...

Thank you very much Richard.

And it's looking that way isnt it Mark, about the choke knob, I'm sure I can source an original one from somewhere.

Not around until Thursday now. So watch this space and more will be posted.

Great buy, the price could not get any better. I am looking forward to seeing the restoration.

When I first saw your post I was thinking that I don't have the Wheelhorse bug and then I did some counting. I now have six WH in my collection, maybe it is not classed as a bug until you have double figures....

Iain

I started the strip down today on the lawnranger, I manged to remove the engine and fiberglass body. I can now get onto the welding... as it needs a fair bit.. but fear not all shall be done in good time... it appears it has been out in the weather a fair bit however due to how the rust has run in like a water puddle shape, I had a good look around and noticed that the old {very old}  :lol: battery has a crack in the bottom and on one edge, so I was assuming maybe the battery acid didn't help the rusting process much.  :scratchhead:  

The steering is going to need some sorting out... due to rust once again.... 

The engine has a spark when pulled by hand (starter motor didn't work) however the fuel lines,tank and carb are full of a wonderful smelling solid gloopy mess!!.... I've now freed the starter motor up and it works lovely, (saves pulling it by hand)

post-131-0-30804900-1412279561_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-88279100-1412279607_thumb.jpg

next job will be keep some metal sheeting/plate and weld the chassis up..... :hdance:

here is some pictures.

post-131-0-27380100-1412279694_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-48772100-1412279780_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-54447100-1412279837_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-71365700-1412279880_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-59462800-1412279925_thumb.jpg

Wow, that needs some work! Good luck

Indeed it seems it does. I must say it looked better with the body on  :lol:  :lol:

Keep at it Charlie, good luck mate :thumbs:

Thanks Paul.  :D

:blink:  I think I'd be using that chassis as a pattern to make a new one.

It may end up that way... i've got a few days to think it through yet  

Ouch Charlie, that's a lot of rust!     But on the bright side it could be repaired using some thick flat steel, no need to try and shape the ribs into it..