rotoscytheben

westwood lawnbug!!

Wow, that's some Westwood collection frozen in time! All you need now is the Gazelle mower haha. If you're interested I have one perfect for restoring (not my W8E) lol. Thanks for sharing this. Getting some new pulleys for my W8E so will be posting that running soon hopefully. 

1 hour ago, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Wow, that's some Westwood collection frozen in time! All you need now is the Gazelle mower haha. If you're interested I have one perfect for restoring (not my W8E) lol. Thanks for sharing this. Getting some new pulleys for my W8E so will be posting that running soon hopefully. 

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass on the Gazelle :thumbs:

On 10/11/2014 at 3:43 PM, rotoscytheben said:

got the carb fitted back on today it soon became clear that all the governor linkage and springs etc were in the wrong place 

they are all fitted in there correct place now i just need a new governor spring and that should sort that out then i will see if the ultrasonic cleaning has worked with the carb

oh and i need to sort the rear tyres out they are done for 

here is another couple of  pics of it anyway

post-220-0-07473400-1413038468_thumb.jpgpost-220-0-99357200-1413038519_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Sorry to bump an old tread!.

Are you able to help with how the governor works on these machines, or send pictures of how your working set up is connected?

I've recently acquired an old lawnbug (mainly because it looks fun, I arguably don't have enough area to cut with it lol), I'm really struggling though because after giving it some needed attention I've managed to put it all together and get it idling okay, but if you put any load on the engine such as the cutter deck or you try to pull away it'll die. There doesn't appear to be any movement from the governor however to up the revs on the engine.

I've pretty much played with the high speed set screw and the idle speed screw on the carb, none of the mixture screws as I've left them 1 turn out as it runs lovely in those settings.

I initially was under the assumption the governor had to be set with the throttle plate closed as the if you adjust the governor to any setting the return spring will close the throttle plate, however at a loose end and pretty much given up I'd assumed maybe the governor was broken on the inside so  took the engine off and removed the bottom to find the governor appeared to be working fine but... from my new guess because the internals appear to be set up to move the the governor towards the driver (reduce throttle) is that somehow I need the machine to default to full throttle which because of the spring on the carb is not possible so I'm at a loss and motivation but hoping that once the gasket has arrived to repair my unneeded disassembly that someone might have an answer or be able to help.

My only thoughts are the spring on the carb could be backwards, but... it appears it can only go one way where it wants to close the throttle plate or maybe I'm missing another spring on the governor as there is 3 holes and I'm only using 2... the throttle at the top, and the governor below that and an empty one quite a bit further down.

If I can't resolve it, for me it's a toy I should just get rid of if I can't get it going which I don't want to do. And I don't want to fit another engine because the machine isn't worth the cost of an engine and I'd don't have a bunch random donor engines lying around I don't do lawn mowers usually cars and only brought this machine as a friend showed me his and then sold it before I knew and could buy his so went with this one.

Thanks all,
Sorry for the massive story above :). 

Edited by LawnBug