S1g

Wheel Horse Raider 10

This project is something that ive had at the back of my mind for a long time.  Ive allways fancied building a scale Field Marshall Tractor.  The other day on ebay this very sad looking Wheel horse turned up fairly local to me. The tin work and engine are pretty far gone, but I only really wanted the gearbox, chasis and steering set up.

As im a bit of a novice with wheel horses can anybody answer when it says 4 speed does that include 3+ reverse or 4+ reverse?

post-104-0-86607700-1414251741_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-96350700-1414251861_thumb.jpg

Ok that's explains why I couldn't find reverse gear. Does anybody have any spare narrow front rims they want to sell?

I got the perfect squat single cylinder swan Diesel engine to fit allready on the shelf, photos to follow.

3speed /4 speed and 6 speed / 8 speed difference has something to do with where the axle for the brake drum comes out, some come out closer to the rear(fixed on the mushroom gear) others are attached on the cluster gear shaft.

Koen

Koen,

That only stands for the earlier trans. I've two 4 speeds with the brake drum in the same place as the 8 speed...

8 speed over 6 speed was a marketing ploy in around 1975 when the first C series came out.

Get the new '8 speed' wheel horse was the claim :)

Koen,

That only stands for the earlier trans. I've two 4 speeds with the brake drum in the same place as the 8 speed...

8 speed over 6 speed was a marketing ploy in around 1975 when the first C series came out.

Get the new '8 speed' wheel horse was the claim :)

ah, makes sense, was talking with steveasaurus a couple of weeks ago, he told me it had to do with the brakeshaft thingy that makes it a 3speed or 4speed / 6speed or 8speed

Koen

Ok thanks for the advice, I was thinking maybe to use some classic type mini rims on the rear, will just have to see how much work is involved in re drilling the hubs? Everything is now soaking in diesel to try and free it up as the horse has apparently sat outside for a very long time. I'm moving my workshop over the next couple of months so will not have a lot of spare time for a while but hopefully work will slowly progress, only decision to make now is wether to paint it green or orange as the series 3a's were?

Look forward to seeing what you make of this derelict :thumbs: (look's about the same condition as my C-120 when I got it) . 

If you need a Service Manual for your 'Uni Drive' Transmission, there is one available.

As said, your Tranny should be the 3fwd, 1 rev (4spd) - 5084 version that was last used on/fitted to the 74/75 B80 series in the US.

Raider 10s were normally 8 speed Trannys (6 fwd,  2 rev incl Hi/Lo) from 1974 on.

Belgium Built units used up the old surplus 4 spd Trannys in mid 70s.   

Thanks Richard, do you have a link to the manual by any chance? I will have to note the serial number down to find out the age, I know the engine I'm planning on using is a brand new Chinese engine but built in 1980 and stored. It's unlike any of the modern Chinese stuff, as it's such a lump I hope the quality is going to be up to par.

Hi Gareth, yes. 2 choices ( or more) for you. top of the page (7) in this link gives you the choice of a high res copy of the full service Manual, or low res. You'll need section IV of it for your transmission-

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/category/23-manual/?sort_order=ASC&sort_key=file_name&num=10&filter_key=all&st=60

Just post the Tractor Model Nbr (and serial nbr) if you have them for a poss build date.......addendum to my previous- If your tractor is a 1974 model, then you may have a 5080, or 5084 Tranny version. Only difference I believe is the differential types, being either 4 pinions on shafts or 4 solid one piece pinions.

Regards  

Thankyou for the link.

Heres a couple of shots of the proposed engine, very squat in construction, so should give me a low bonnet line.. I know perkins badged some up a few years ago, so the quality should hopefully be ok, but its only going to get light use anyway.

post-104-0-60615200-1414436775_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-23279800-1414436881_thumb.jpg

It's a 5.5 hp single cylinder air cooled diesel, with electric start, made by the Jintan engine works in china. It was one of a batch of two imported to the uk by lifton a large plant manufacturer in 1980, for evaluation, however they were never used and stored on the bog roof in the warehouse. My father owns the other one(hand start). Apart from a quick trail run it's never done anything, but when running it actually sounded very smooth.