slf-uk

Bolens Ride-a-matic

This year has been a very difficult year for reasons that are far too boring to go into, however one of the outcomes was that I agreed with the other half not to buy any more tractors this year and to focus on other priorities. It has been very painful agreement to keep to and I hope you will agree that I did well to last until October before buying two more.

The most interesting one is a 1962 Ride-a-matic which has been fitted with a Honda engine and what looks like a Land Rover hitch. I do have the original Kohler engine, which has a broken flywheel and missing the coil. These are a couple of pictures the seller sent to me.

post-276-0-84422400-1415193320_thumb.jpg

post-276-0-14596800-1415193319_thumb.jpg

This is my second Ride-a-matic, with the other being a 1961 machine.

The tractor has a few challenging issues and missing parts, but I think I know what needs to be done. It works really well with the Honda engine and I may leave it like that while I work through some of the other issues. A full refurbishment and repaint is the long term aim but for now I just want to use it, enjoy it and work on continued improvements.

Iain

Iain,

That does look like a tidy example and yes you should be proud of yourself that you lasted until October; a credit to your will power!

I look forward to seeing more about this project as I would love to get my hands on one myself.

Andrew

That's quite tidy. :thumbs:  BTW. That hitch is the removable part of a Dixon Bate adjustable hitch.

Thanks. Would anyone like the removable part of a Dixon Bate adjustable hitch?

Iain

Thanks. Would anyone like the removable part of a Dixon Bate adjustable hitch?

Iain

Probably someone who's had theirs stolen.  I usually keep mine in the back of the vehicle.

I've not seen one of those before Iain, that's very cool and a very nice find :thumbs:

Have you managed to keep it a secret from your other half? :D

Great looking machine that 62 Bolens Iain, nice find  :thumbs: . Good that you got the original Kohler as well. K161 I believe. would be good to see it back and running in the Tractor if you ever get the chance.   

We had 4 of them last year at Newby hall, from this pic I took, I think one must have been unreliable :D

attachicon.gifIMG_2871.JPG

These are the same shape and design as my other one. It is a much more attractive shape. I believe the green painted ride-a-matic's are pre-1961.

That is a great picture.

Wow, despite one being towed they are all about to overtake the WH :yankchain:

Iain

I've not seen one of those before Iain, that's very cool and a very nice find :thumbs:

Have you managed to keep it a secret from your other half? :D

Ian, it would be more than my life is worth to keep it secret. I just owned up to my sins and took the punishment. Apparently this also means I have agreed to the purchase of another expensive handbag. I was thinking about asking why someone needs more than one handbag but I thought better of it because it would probably end up with a discussion about why more than one tractor is required,.

Great looking machine that 62 Bolens Iain, nice find  :thumbs: . Good that you got the original Kohler as well. K161 I believe. would be good to see it back and running in the Tractor if you ever get the chance.   

Yes, the later ones like this have the K161. I think it may have to go in earlier than I planned because the belts line up does not work very well and space is not available to lift the Honda. I plan to have another look this weekend. The tractor looks much better with the Kohler installed. Parts for these engines appear to be easy to get in the US although I don't fancy the shipping cost for a replacement flywheel.

Anyone know where I might be able to get a replacement flywheel in the UK?

Thanks

Iain

Anyone know where I might be able to get a replacement flywheel in the UK?

Try Mike Hitchins  www.guypartsandservice.co.uk/

or Chester Hudson

Great thanks. Iain :thumbs:

The really cool bit of a Ride-a-matic is the gearing (Versa-Matic) and the ability to make a minor change to the gearing on the move. As my description would be poor I pulled this from a brochure

post-276-0-70250400-1415360046_thumb.jpg

As you have two ranges you end up with 12 forward gears, 12 reverse and 12 neutrals (the gearbox has two neutrals).

Iain

A got about 1/2 hour on the ride-a-matic and managed to get the versa-matic working as well as it can until new belts are fitted. I have just ordered two new belts which hopefully will arrive before next weekend.

Ive got a 50's ride a matic, a gold one with the square bonnet and one the same as yours. If you want to get in touch RE any issues we may be able to help each other out. Also I may have a flywheel if your struggling - leave it with me.

James

James,

Three ride-a-matic's, wow! I think the older one's are more attractive. I have just dropped you a PM and it will be great if we can help each other out. If you have a flywheel that would be even better.

Thanks

Iain

Ive got a 50's ride a matic, a gold one with the square bonnet and one the same as yours. If you want to get in touch RE any issues we may be able to help each other out. Also I may have a flywheel if your struggling - leave it with me.

James

It would be great to see some photos of your Bolens collection.

After a very long time we did some work on the 1962 Ride-a-matic.

Over the weekend we removed the non Bolens hitch from the tractor and fitted one imported from US

Before:

IMG_0857.JPG

After:

IMG_0859.JPG

It looks much better. We now need to either make or buy the end panel for the chassis

Joseph