slf-uk

How do you keep track of your equipment information?

As part of my current tidying up I found an old Hayter mower over the weekend which I had forgotten about. As soon as I saw it I realised that it was waiting for me to get a crank oil seal, but I never got around to it because I kept forgetting to write down the engine specification. I then put something in front of it and now about ten years later it needs a bit more than an oil seal.

As such I realised that am really struggling to find a way to keep track of my equipment information and a combination of small children and old age is not helping. At one time I wrote it down, then I started creating files on the computer and now it's just a mess. This is some of the information I like to keep:

- Serial numbers

- List of outstanding jobs

- Translation of part numbers (belts, bearings, bushes, etc.)

- Good suppliers

- Parts I need

- etc.

I should point out that have never written down a list of outstanding jobs because this is a bit too much like the lists I get given by the wife, although her lists are handy for lighting the woodburner...

What do you guys do? Does anyone have a simple but organised way to keep track of this information?

Its all in my head Iain B)

Funny thing is I cant remember any Birthdays or important days :hide:

That was my approach but I seem to forget everything these days, including birthdays. I got married on my birthday so that I have one less date to remember.

I'm not organised, but do have a whiteboard in the workshop with some scribbles on it :D

I have just got a whiteboard for my workshop, just need to find wall space to put it on

if you have a smart phone, create a file (note) for all your machines. I use it to keep track of customer jobs/machines. I also use the contact info for storing model & serial numbers associated with each customer

if you have a smart phone, create a file (note) for all your machines. I use it to keep track of customer jobs/machines. I also use the contact info for storing model & serial numbers associated with each customer

Great tip. I have started doing this and I am already seeing the benefits. The other day I got the chance to buy a part for one of my tractors and I couldn't easily check the tractor but I had the details on the phone.

Many thanks

Iain