Wallfish

Aerokits Sea Queen Cabin Cruiser

Reply posted by Webhead

Feb 20 12 6:56 PM

Re: Aerokits Sea Queen Cabin Cruiser

I fired up the Sea Queen over the weekend and wow, I was impressed with the power that the Octura rotary valve and carb put out. You can see, feel and hear the power. My neighbor actually came over and told me that it was the loudest boat that he has ever heard, including full sized boats! It makes a very loud crack or popping noise. I'm curious as to how much power that the performance parts really add. It might have too much power and noise for a cabin cruiser and I may switch the engine with the White Heat.

Very nice boat, I hope someone on here buys it, did you try the engine in your White Heat boat?

I had an Aerokits RAF crash tender for a short time, but it had to go as it wasn't in great condition and was too fragile for my liking. It found a good home with a model boat collector who was going to restore it & convert it to electric drive.

Edit: Some of the old Aerokits model boat kits are still available as laser cut kits in the UK, the Sea Queen seems to be missing from the range offered here:

http://lesromodels.co.uk/product-category/boat-kits/aerokits-laser-cut-kits/

David

Edited by factory
Extra Info

This boat came with the very rare Octura modified engine with a rotary valve. I transferred the engine in to the White Heat, which was much more appropriate. Thanks for that link.

The updated Sea Queen still available from various suppliers including    https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/sea_queen.html  

I restored one of the originals from a wreck a few years ago. No propshaft or rudder had ever been fitted, the propulsion and steering was via a small electric outboard motor on the transom.  Don't want to hog this thread but a couple of photo's before fittings added and a trial fit of a home built ( not by me )15cc 2 stroke engine.  Had my arm twisted to sell the boat but kept the engine.

100_3147.JPG.a38b2998174c832421e95b9e85814b35.JPGIMG_7920.JPG.8860ba92de21308133870de73fe39fc2.JPG100_3594.JPG.c44f23241a643d50d8c5aa83a65363b8.JPG

Looks very nice too, was the engine built from scratch, or from a kit?

I have an Original brochure/leaflet for the Sea Queen (with O&R engine & Octura accessories), it needs to scanning & adding to the manuals sticky thread when I have time.

David

59 minutes ago, factory said:

Looks very nice too, was the engine built from scratch, or from a kit?

I have an Original brochure/leaflet for the Sea Queen (with O&R engine & Octura accessories), it needs to scanning & adding to the manuals sticky thread when I have time.

David

Engine is a much modified version of a pre war design.  Scratch built by the builder, who if I remember correctly, made all the castings, patterns etc.  Even made the miniature spark plug.  Test run only by the builder.  I never got to run it myself before selling the boat.  Now safely stored away.

I’ve seen the Octura carburetors but what is this rotary valve people speak of?

Are the Octura carburetors worth installing without the full rotary valve setup?

I can't tell you exactly what the rotary valve looks like as I haven't seen the parts, but it will be something similar to rotary valve used on the pre-Compact model engines. The reed valve assembly & PTO shaft will be replaced with parts with holes machined into them,  to allow fuel through at a certain point in the rotation when the holes in the bearing plate & shaft line up.

You can see the hole in the crankshaft that lines up with the carb port in the sectioned Ohlsson 29 engines.

i2a.jpg.d5d49fe9d5d01676424079ac89d6fa07.jpg

And the crankshaft has a hole through to the crankcase as seen in my Ohlsson 60.

SAM_2869a.jpg.97d0f83c1f7a917b5f7ce34ef46ca275.jpg

Many more engines had the Octura carb fitted than the rotary valve, it's entirely up to you if you want to use one or not, note the fuel tank cannot be fitted the carb above as they sometimes are, unless you want the fuel to slowly leak out through the carb.

David

Yes he does have an O&R with the Octura rotary valve (& water cooled cylinder), but it was a bit camera shy when he was restoring it :yankchain:, hopefully another will turn up eventually as I wouldn't expect it will need opening up anytime soon.

It's now in the White Heat in the first post here;

David