Wallfish

Bridges Mini-Mota 3 speed drill

6 hours ago, pmackellow said:

The chap that did it used chemical metal to bond the brackets

Chemical metal? What kind of stuff do you guys have over there???

13 hours ago, Webhead said:

Chemical metal? What kind of stuff do you guys have over there???

Chemical Metal is a brand of two part polyester resin made by Loctite/Henkel over here, it is probably sold under a different name in the US. The safety data sheet provides all the info on what's in it; http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/001f/0900766b8001f4d2.pdf

David

J-B Weld is available over here and presumably they have a similar product.

Chemical Metal is a brand name of Loctite here, I'm guessing it's named something else in the US as there is a company called Chemical Metal Industries over there, just haven't found it yet.

David

Well I know J-B weld won't hold up to gasoline very long no matter what the manufacturer says. Personal experience.

Loctite states this stuff is "resistant" to fuel but I think J-B states that too. Hope it does, it will be useful. The stuff usedtoolman suggested does hold up to gasoline but can't use it for attaching things. It's called Lab Metal

I have 2 Mini Motas which I used every day during the course of my work back in the sixties. One is in good workable condition but has a cracked fuel tank which appears to  e the Achilles heel of this machine. The second one has been robbed for spares but could easily be made to work if a new or refurbed tank was available and a con-rod which is missing. I originally though bought  genuine spares from a company called Rupert Ledger although I am not sure if it still exists.

Does anyone know where I can get spare engine parts for this project ?

I originally though bought  genuine spares from a company called Rupert Ledger although I am not sure if it still exists.

Interesting that you dealt with Rupert Ledger. They went into voluntary liquidation in 1976 . They were better known as manufacturers of ignition testing equipment and I have one of their portable test units. I also have a very useful gadget, the Dy-tone,  that they made for ascertaining the condition and the opening / closing point of contact breaker points in flywheel magnetos without the need to dismantle - one wire to the HT lead and one to earth giving an audible signal that changes when the points open or close. A sharp change of note equals clean points and a slurred one, dirty points. Invaluable for setting the timing on early Villiers etc as being audible , hands and eyes are free to align timing marks etc.   

The company morphed into Ledger Selby and Co. Ltd and also traded as Uni-Pak Maintenance Systems. No mention of drills in any of the literature that I have.

On 4/1/2018 at 4:17 PM, barry38 said:

I have 2 Mini Motas which I used every day during the course of my work back in the sixties. One is in good workable condition but has a cracked fuel tank which appears to  e the Achilles heel of this machine. The second one has been robbed for spares but could easily be made to work if a new or refurbed tank was available and a con-rod which is missing. I originally though bought  genuine spares from a company called Rupert Ledger although I am not sure if it still exists.

Does anyone know where I can get spare engine parts for this project ?

:WMOM:

The fuel tanks seem to disappear on all types of O&R engine not just this drill, I guess the cracked one could be repaired (mine has been soldered on one of the seams). Do you know anyone that could make a new tank using the original as a pattern? (a model engineer maybe), unless someone has a spare tank of course.

There are three possible part numbers for the con-rod depending on the age of the engine (due to bearing size changes over the years), if the engine dates from 1964 or later and is a Compact II (0.85HP) or Compact III (1HP) then the part number is 31-3 according to the information I have, the Bridges Mini-Mota manual in post four of this thread also gives the same part number.

Early Compact engines (no HP decal but are 3/4HP) from 1960 to 1962 use part number 31-1, I am missing the 1963 parts list so can't confirm if part number 31-2 is for that year.

Rupert Ledger & Co. Ltd of Airfield Estate, White Waltham, Maidenhead in Berkshire (also at 28 Mackenzie St. Slough according to an older service directory list) were the main sales representative and central warehouse distributor for Europe.

Have you already found the other common problems with these engines, i.e. the carb diaphragm, air filter foam and sometimes the crankshaft seals?

David