slf-uk

Ultrasonic cleaner

I have seen a couple of adverts recently for S/H carbs where the advert has stated that they have been cleaned using an ultrasonic cleaner.

I had a quick look on fleabay and a small one designed for jewellery can be bought for about £4, with professional ones starting at about £40.

I was thinking about buying a small one as a Christmas present for the misses and trying some carb parts when she wasn't looking but I am not sure I would get away with that. ;)

Have any of you guys used one? are they worthwhile and what is the best size to get that will take carb parts?

Thanks

Iain

Don't buy a small one.. you will always wish you'd gone bigger!

I have the use of a pals when I want it and swear by the results, swearing as in Good! It's just big enough, and deep enough to get a cylinder head for a 4 cylinder bike.. just.

Buys the liquids from somewhere in Ireland, I can find out where if you wish.

Titch

Where I worked we bought a big ultra sonic cleaner. By big I mean very big. Superb piece of kit but to big for us lads. 12 - 14ft long. The solution was water with 10% caustic acid.

When I had the business we had a 5 lire capacity stainless steel tank with a heater that would take several carbs at a time. In retirement I have a three litre stainless, again with a heater and it does a good job.

It came with a bottle of Seaclean concentrate but I prefer Ultraclean SA plus just a drop of washing up liquid. It should be noted that the cleaning fluid should be matched to the metal being cleaned. Some cleaning solutions are too aggressive for the soft alloys used in carburettors. Some people use a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. Another tip that I picked up along the way is that the plastic parts baskets supplied with some cleaners absorb about 30% of the ultrasonic energy before it reaches the parts being cleaned, whereas a stainless mesh basket only absorbs around 8% - I found a suitable stainless one in a cookware shop and subsequently a better one from a jewellery supply company !

Remove  jets etc from the carb body and clean them at the same time but loose in the float bowl or a separate container. Alter the orientation of the carb body during the cleaning process so that the "shaken loose" dirt can fall out.  I usually clean in two 15min sessions at 50degrees C.

After posting the above I was browsing some US sites looking for home made cleaning solution recipes and stumbled across this - interesting,

"Do not clean ball or roller bearings in an ultrasonic cleaner. The vibration of the components of the bearing will cause surface damage on the raceways and rollers or balls. We ran tests on several groups of bearings and found that even after a short cycle in the cleaner there was enough damage to cause rough noisy operation when we tested the bearings in a noise test machine. This program was initiated when customers complained about noise after ultra sonic cleaning the rust inhibitor from new bearings, since it was not compatible with the lubricant they were using in the application."

Edited by Wristpin

Yep,

just like those lethal engine oil flushes.. a pal once cleaned almost every microscopic bit of carbon build up etc on a crankshaft on VW Golf.

Result..? Extremely noisy top end!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/jpl-8050-h-professional-ultrasonic-cleaner-25l-a74jk

I have a 2.5 litre cleaner as the attached link and I have found that it is just the right size for occasional use on most small engine carbs without incurring the expense of a larger perhaps more commercial machine, you would certainly struggle with a smaller capacity tank size. And a heated tank is a useful bonus.

Interesting point about the effects of U/S ceaning on bearings I had heard the tale of vehicle wheel bearings suffering from Brinnelling during rail transport but not heard of this effect before.

Thanks for the great advice everyone.

Don't buy a small one.. you will always wish you'd gone bigger!

I have the use of a pals when I want it and swear by the results, swearing as in Good! It's just big enough, and deep enough to get a cylinder head for a 4 cylinder bike.. just.

Buys the liquids from somewhere in Ireland, I can find out where if you wish.

Titch

It would be great if you can find out, not urgent though. Thanks

the small cheap ones are crap, go bigger and not chinese

Thanks, lots to choose from.

I have just been given a 6L cleaner from Maplins for my birthday, tried it out on a carb that was absolutely caked in crud, came out spotless but discoloured. I am experimenting with different fluids for different metals. Well worth having if you clean up  parts regularly. 

I bought a ultrasonic cleaner a while back but not had the chance to use it until today. I used it on the troublesome Bolens G14 carb, first with caustic acid as suggested by Norm and then with a general cleaner to remove any traces of the acid. It came out looking great but I have not had the chance to reassemble and test the carb yet. 

Picture of the cleaner I bought sitting on the Hood of a rather rusty Bolens G10. My Bolens are just like our cats, they get into every picture :)

post-276-0-40959300-1430674551_thumb.jpg

Iain

Very nice Iain, it will be interesting to see how it goes on the G14, hopefully it will cure or at least help it run better.

Tom

Ive just bought one, delivered today. First impressions are quite good cleaning a couple of carbs but it didnt shift the thicker grime tucked away in crevises but scrape the thick off and ok, also the heat softens the paint so that comes away easier, ok if you want the paint off.

Thanks Sten, ive been looking for a while, which one did you get ? I wanted one with manual controls and a stainless baskit but didn't know what size to get for the average garden tractor carb also did you use the carb cleaning fluid available from the bay ?

Thanks Sten, ive been looking for a while, which one did you get ? I wanted one with manual controls and a stainless baskit but didn't know what size to get for the average garden tractor carb also did you use the carb cleaning fluid available from the bay ?

I got it from ebay, it is made in China but I thought its worth ago. It has digital controls, a stainless basket, it is a 10 litre capacity, you wont need one that big, the tank size is 300x240x150mm, a 6.5 litre tank size is 300x150x150, would probably do for you. I haven't tried the cleaning fluid.