slf-uk

My shed on wheels

Over the years I have tried a number of ways to reduce the effort involved with firewood movements and the latest is a shed on wheels. The time between Christmas and New Year is about the only time I get for projects and this was my project last year.

When a few friends first saw what I made they could not stop laughing and thought I was mad. So before I add a picture to the post I will try to justify my madness. I tend to work long hours, have two small kids and all the heating/hot water in our house is from a woodburner. In the winter I was finding that I would get home from work, help with the kid’s bedtime routine, collect the next days wood and then go to bed. I had tried a number of things over the years to reduce the time moving wood and this has been the most successful as the wood handling is at a minimum. I move the trailer shed to my wood store once a week, fill it, drag it to the back door of the house and then we can just use the wood as we need it.

Anyway enough trying to justify it, here a picture of the loaded trailer shed heading back to the house.

The trailer shed has to go over boggy ground so it has lots of nose weight and I always pull it with a strong tractor. It is not unusual for it to sink into the ground a number of inches as it is being pulled. It is interesting to watch the ground move. I keep meaning to weigh it full to see just how much it weighs full.

Iain

Fab idea!

Is it a shed, is it a trailer? It's neither, it's a shailer... :D

I like that. I is now called my shailer

Good idea Iain.

I see you are using a strong tractor to tow it :D

From past experience of failures I have come to realise that the only strong tractors I own are Bolens :) , it's just a case of which one. When it gets really boggy I move over to one with diff lock.

Great idea lain , I have a similar set up too , only I use a small garden trailer as a portable work bench which I fill up with tools .

Great idea

No need to justify anything Iain, you built it to do a job which by the sounds of it, it does the log job very well :thumbs:

It reminds me of an old shepherds hut.. Good for camping around the garden in during the summer when it's not full of logs :)