Timm

Governor vane

I have noticed trouble with sticking governor vanes. My solution was to file the shaft until it cleared the motor body where it has a tendency to hang up. It took very little filing, only a few thousandths.

As well, the throttle tends to hang up on the carb body when you twist the throttle to full (this is an outboard motor). Two solutions here and maybe both. I adjusted the cable push so it falls short of pushing the carb butterfly valve to hit the carb body. As well, slight bending of the vane on the butterfly valve to make sure it clears the carb body when it goes to full open.

Anyone else have sexperience?

I've had some that tend to stick but most of the time the problem was the governor vane being bent or the carb gummed up so the butterfly shaft was sticky. Also needed to bend that little butterfly wing up a little too so it didn't hit the carb body.

I had governor vane trouble with the first engine I repaired, it kept vibrating loose out of the butterfly valve on the carb, resulting in in the engine over-speeding.

The engine got put to one side until I joined the previous forum last year, after posting about it I compared the vane to one borrowed from another engine (damaged vane on the left).

post-325-0-19158300-1420226997_thumb.jpg

The cause turned out to be governor vane shaft being bent & the vane having an extra bend. The incorrectly bent vane section had also been in contact with the flywheel.

post-325-0-47329500-1420226677.jpg

After straightening it to match the borrowed one, the engine ran without the vane falling out.

post-325-0-85050800-1420227655.jpg

I also have two outboard motors which a previous owner had removed the vanes, I don't know why they removed them. Luckily they were found in the tin of bits that came with them.

David

Am I to understand this last photo is of a correct vane position? That is what I really want to know.