S1g

JCB Beaver Hydraulic Power Pack.

they will make a nice unusual exhibit gareth :thumbs:

That's what I'm hoping, plus two power packs will go in the back of my Astra van with the rear seat up, no more bouncing around in the cabstar, and with the Nissan's horrendous thirst for diesel, the Astra should see big savings!

Just had the new fuel top arrive from the states, only fit for the bin. Why do people do this? Probably yet another fight through PayPal. Think I'm going to stop using ebay alltogether soon, to many crooks in my experience. Allthougth I have got another new fuel tank on its way to me, and if it's anything like the last one I will be very happy.

I've not been able to make much progress for a week now due to a bad case of Shingles- anyone who's ever had this ailment will know just how painful it is. The good news is though that I've come across a couple of the krupp breakers in the workshop, I knew they were in there somewhere! I've also been talking to a college who was involved with these packs when new, he's told me that the very first were supplied with NPK breakers as well, so will have to now try and search one of these out, but what I've got will do. Hopefully I'll be on the mend by next week and can get some photos etc of the breakers and report what I'm finding with the newer beaver.

hope you get better soon gareth i caught shingles a few years ago and it was very  very painfull  and i certainly would not want it again :(

Thank you Nigel, painful is certainly one way of putting it. Ive spent this afternoon, measuring up and sketching the decals with a view to getting them reproduced.- I'm unable to do much else due to the pain.

post-104-0-90022700-1424622968_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-73520500-1424623002_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-88477900-1424623045_thumb.jpg

send these photos to titch at machinrey decals he will soon sort them out for you

He has allways done a top job for me in the past, and have allready packaged up the sketches etc to send to him. I've had to do a lot of detective work and educated guessing at the missing words where the decal has been damaged, just hope I've got it right.

After not having the best of weeks, - My shingles is still causing great pain, and suffering yet another attempted break in at the workshop, I finally had a bit of luck when a college sent me this pack of period brochures free of charge. Going from the dates on them Ive realised my two packs are actually slightly older than I first thought, probably dating from 1985 and 1986.

post-104-0-83020200-1425062427_thumb.jpg

Progress has been very limited due to a combination of still suffering from shingles and being very busy at work. You may laugh but I have found it near impossible to obtain good condition honda parts for a second 8 hp of this period, so have therefore decided to put the newer beaver on hold and redo the compact 2 instead. Saying that though,It's not been easy trying to find good enough parts for the 5hp engine of this period either,but after hunting high and low I have now got enough. I made the mistake of buying a Chinese exhaust off ebay,and trying to fit it, I can see why its so cheap. I have also started prepping the compact. The beavers frame has also seen dome attention.

Looks like I've done it again, tonight I've just purchased the beavers predessor, a Hydrochief Solite. About twice the size of the latter, yet only gives out the same power. It's a good job that its so rare otherwise I'd of simply told the seller to f*#k off and got back in the van. I've never had a deal that someone has had such a bad attitude!! Photos to follow on the weekend.

I've been giving this a once over this morning and am very pleased. It appears to run well, on the hand start anyway , yet I'll have to rig a battery up to test the electric start option out. I will also have to plug the flow gauges into it to see what oil it's producing. About the only things that I can see wrong is it needs a new rear castor, one engine mount is perished( I believe I've got one in my spares) and the oil cooler is a bit marked( 3 brand new old stock units are sat on my shelf). I've also just had arrive a very nice sales brochure off ebay covering these machines and all their attachments, it's in full colour and 8 pages so should look good displayed with this machine.

Also I've found a solitary photo on the net of these packs when new.

post-104-0-20815500-1428742179.jpg

post-104-0-99215200-1428742237.jpg

This afternoon I've finally felt up to doing some more work on the Beaver (thanks mainly to a stronger prescription for my shingles). This involved stripping the paint off the oil tank and removing the ground in name and dents. Then several coats of high build etch primer. This was then followed by several more of gloss black. In the final picture it looks like ive missed some of the inside but this is down to the trick of the flash.

post-104-0-95599600-1428776725_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-31159700-1428776897_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-42057300-1428777013_thumb.jpg

This afternoon I've finally felt up to doing some more work on the Beaver (thanks mainly to a stronger prescription for my shingles). This involved stripping the paint off the oil tank and removing the ground in name and dents. Then several coats of high build etch primer. This was then followed by several more of gloss black. In the final picture it looks like ive missed some of the inside but this is down to the trick of the flash.

I hope the pictured Black Grouse Label was the stronger prescribed medication!

Looking good.

I hope the pictured Black Grouse Label was the stronger prescribed medication!

Looking good.

I wish, I'm not really supposed to drink on the new tablets, seems to magnify the effect of the alcohol.

Went into work just gone 6 am this morning and bar the coil have got the beavers engine ready to trail run. My cameras battery died just as I went to take a pic. Will see if I managed to get one, once I'm back at the PC tonight.

I cant get the picture off the camera, however I have now fitted the coil and the engine genuinely started first pull, not bad considering it must of been stood for at least 10 years prior. The other good news is theres no smoke what so ever, its allways a concern when fitting new rings to Hondas.

Heres the finished engine in the sun. Just needs a bit of spit and polish.

As the weather was good I took advantage of it and repainted a few items.

The first was an original spec oil cooler, boy did it take some finding as they were discontinued 15+ years ago and the latest beaver ones are different.i had to go through nearly all my contacts in the trade before I traced one. I also cleaned up and painted the oil cooler cover and the tank plate.

post-104-0-33316500-1429039066_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-79757500-1429039239_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-63068800-1429039423_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-65905200-1429039619_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-34674100-1429039769_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-15235600-1429039924_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-10961500-1429040084_thumb.jpg