neil

Have you ever sold something you wished you hadnt

Have you ever sold something that you wish you hadn't .

A year ago I sold my RJ58 ,it needed a fair bit of work but was still a nice tractor and I ended up selling it for £50 less than I bought it for

It still went to good home and I hope the new owner is enjoying her

post-5-0-82170300-1423549113_thumb.jpg

I have loads of times, that's why I've got so many, I just don't like selling them

I'm with you on this one Chris.

That RJ58 is a very nice machine, I could have never let that go.

Iain

I have, I haven't sold much but it is like selling your children!  Everytime I do it I regret it as soon as it vanishes from sight.  It is the same with spare parts, you aquire stuff that you don't REALLY need then much later pass it on to sombody else.  Sods law then decrees that shortly after you will be offered an engine or machine that is missing the very part you disposed of but then there is only so much space available to store stuff for most of us.

Pete.

I sold a six furrow vineyard / orchard plough,to a neighbour, I bought it to use the mouldboards to fabricate ploughs for my w/horses.

the neighbour pestered me to sell it to him to show behind an IH 250.then he fell out with me because I made £25.00 profit on it. I then spent £50.00 on a single stubble plough mouldboard to make myself a plough, at least I can get the rest of the metal out of the skip ;) ;)

i dont regret selling any of my machines, i get my enjoyment from restoring or building them, i then ether show them or work them for a couple of years, and then sell them to fund my next project i have sold many including, 3 bolens 2 mayfield merlins 1 quadractor 1 jimshot loads of mustangs and many more i look at it this way i cant use them all and i know that every one i have sold has gone to a good home and gives a lot of pleasure to the new owners who havent got the skill or the time to restore them there selfs :)

I should have kept my D200--- Sold

Brinley Plough--- Sold

WH double towed rollers--- Scrapped

300tdi 110 Landrover

I should have kept my D200--- Sold

Brinley Plough--- Sold

WH double towed rollers--- Scrapped

300tdi 110 Landrover

Should have bought the D200 when you offered it to me Chris (what a muppet) at least it would be seen round the rally fields

Bought and sold a lot over my 30 plus years of doing rallies, one of the machines I really regret selling is a trials spec BSA

Bantam motorcycle that I acquired from a friend (swapped him another bike for it),  did it all up and like a muppet I sold it for

little more than what it owed me...  :angry:

I can see Nigels point of view that the restoration is what floats his boat rather than long term ownership, a mate of mine with

vintage motorcycles has owned some for over 30 years so its horses for courses really...

well my oh my if only i knew it used to be yours..... the current owner lives in wales, he might not be the one who brought it from you, he may of got it from the person you sold it too, but this young fella lives in wales hes only my age. his name is Lewis Vaughan me and him talk regularly hes got a lovely place in wales and has many machines..

Neil if you're interested i have some pictures of the restoration stages hes put it through, and what it looked like when he got it and how it looks now, he told me... " this is my wheel horse rj-58 one of the original 5 wheel horses brought over in 1958 as demo models" 

hes now restored it and its looking in tip top shape, he also owns a wheel horse comando 8, roper RT-10, huffy 5hp, wheelhorse c121 with lots of attachments, a bolens ride a matic and many more, 

like i said in the start all these times of talking about the rj too him and i never knew it used to be yours... 

Charlie ,

Yes that guy bought it from me & he also bought the commando 8 from me , I didnt realise it was 1 of 5 demo models .

Thank you for telling me that , I regret selling it even more now

This pic was taken in 1958 at a horticultural show in Oxfordshire promoting the new wheelhorse RJ 58

I wonder if it was my old one .

I know of 3 original RJs that still survive

.post-5-0-46950000-1423607990.jpg

I have sold several vehicles which I have regretted. I have been a classic car buff for years. I regretted selling my original Morris Traveller to finance a new central heating system for our new then house. I also regretted selling my Series 3 Land Rover which I have put back on the road after years of neglect for some other boring financial necessity. Though I was sad to sell the VW Bay camper van in orginal condition I made a mint on it. I sold it to a guy who had more money than sense and I know he wouldn't look after it as he was a follower of fashion. A pity but money talks regrettably. I had an Agrati Capri scooter which I sold to a guy who promised to restore it but saw him advertising it the next day on eBay.....

I find it difficult to sell and I am a hoarder by nature.

I don't sell them very often. Most of mine come here live out there lives for there intended purposes. I did sell/trade all my standard twins a few yrs back for some more David Bradley and a pile of cash. I used the cash to drive 700mls and buy some braiding machines that I couldn't live with out.

Even though I didn't want to sell the 6x6, I don't regret selling it as it allowed  us to move to a place we can afford to live in..

But I do regret selling my Wh 312-8.. The best workhorse I have ever had.. But I am happy it has gone to a good home and Tom is working it just as hard as i used to :)

Hi all,

I have to admit I haven't had to sell many of my own collection yet although I did let my suburban go which I regretted a lot and I was lucky enough to buy it back, I definitely won't be letting that go again.

Another one I definitely won't let go is Ian's 312-8 as it's a really nice machine and I feel that it has a lot of sentimental value if you like within the wheel horse community as it was such a famous horse.

Tom

Nige, don't spose you wanna restore a Trojan for me , I aint got the time or know how .

i offerd to do one loads of times for you neil but you never came back to me, i could not believe it when i saw them under water i would be quite happy to do one for you :)

Nigel.

This time I'm gonna take you up on your offer , I will get you some pics of the one that I want doing , i will be going to Essex in a few weeks and I will bring it too you .

Nigel.

This time I'm gonna take you up on your offer , I will get you some pics of the one that I want doing , i will be going to Essex in a few weeks and I will bring it too you .

ok neil :)