slf-uk

Bolens G14

Hi ian ive bout a g14 with rotorvator.plough.and rip hook.shes a lovely mashine thats just been respraid.loveley condition ive always wonted one as im a landscape gardener desprate for mower for her.would love a front loader to make my life easyer will put some photos on soon

ryan

Ryan,

I saw that G14 too as well! Very tempted but I am into the older Bolens stuff at the moment.

You made a good choice the with the G14; plenty of grunt there with the 14hp engine in it. A front end loader is on my wish list too.

Look forward to the photos.

Cheers

Andrew

No progress on the G14 until this weekend as I have been doing some work on my Bolens HT23. 

I pulled the carb off (again) and took it apart, again no obvious signs of any debris. I put it through the ultrasonic cleaner which certainly made it look visually better. It started looking like this

post-276-0-35555600-1430762603_thumb.jpg

and ended up looking like this

post-276-0-51335400-1430762718_thumb.jpg

I connected up the fuel and it started up without a problem. My test driver took it for a 1/2 hour drive without issues. It passed the smile test. 

post-276-0-20586100-1430762800_thumb.jpg

Carb still needs tuning and a few other jobs were highlighted.  

Iain

Andrew, I first used caustic acid then a product called Sea Clean 2. The machine is a 3.2 litre machine which is the perfect size for tractor carbs. I put a picture of the machine of the Ultrasonic cleaner thread.

Iain

11 hours ago, Triumph66 said:
  • What's the latest on your G14 Iain? How do you rate them too? Just been reading about the model....... ;)

The latest is a little embarrassing. After doing all the work on the exhaust port of the engine and the fuel system it ran great, however the engine had what sounded like a tappet noise and I still had a problem with the charging system. I pulled all the panels off the engine and rigged up a temporary fuel tank so I could get a better idea where the noise was coming from. At that point I got distracted and then I had 12 months with no tractor time, resulting in no progress for 18 months :(

I have three G14's and I love 'em. It is the only G model that has all the great features that were installed on the Husky's, with the additional benefit of a more powerful (14hp) engine. The G models were made at the time when Bolens where trying to match the prices of lesser machines and foolishly they did that by removing all the good bits. The other popular G model sold in the UK was the G10 which had nearly all the good bits removed. It still has a full size tractor type PTO and a tubed chassis rather than angle iron, but no sprung seat, no diff. lock, a belt clutch rather than an automotive one, no sealed beam headlights or ammeter.

Andrew, if you have the chance to get a G14 at the right price jump on it, you will not regret it.

Iain