the showman

Been Wheelhorse Picking Again

It's a shame the original trans is scrap, but it's very handy having a spare in your spares :D

Ahhh, yes.. Drilling out a hitch pin!   A nasty job to be sure but sometimes it's the only way..

Not having much luck with the trannys, the one i was going to fit won't go into 3rd gear now and i cant get the hubs off to open it up and have a look.

Removed the tranny from the tractor, got the hub off one side and the other came out with the shaft and the needle bearing is shot, started drilling out the towbar pin and the drill went up in smoke.

So at the moment I've got 3 transmissions scattered across the workshop floor and the chard remains of a drill

I have always managed to get the axle pin to move with a large propane torch. I put to torch on the casing and keep the pin cool, whilst hitting it lightly with a non-metal hammer. Usually takes about an hour and best done on a cold day as you get nice and warm.

Iain

After going to buy a new drill, i spent the afternoon in the shed. I finished drilling out the hitch pin removed allthe hubs from both boxes without braking them with my home made puller and opened them up.

The box on the left is the one that won't go in 3rd gear, it looks like the problem is rusty balls in the selector shafts and the one on the right is the box out of the tractor which is just about a bin job, there was aload of needles in the bottom and one of the roller bearings is missing some balls.

Next job is to throw it all in the parts washer and see what can be saved out of three boxes

post-98-0-48159700-1427568425_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-26689800-1427568445_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-00104600-1427568469_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-95919800-1427568485_thumb.jpg

I know where to come for two hubs and a third gear cluster... Don't throw anything away! :D

I could especially do with two of the more modern hubs to modify for my next 4x4 creation.....

I'm after two of the later beefier ones. I need to reverse them and turn them down. I've a pair of good condition early ones, there's just not enough meat on them for what need.

Been having a think, Chris. Could some kind of baffle be fitted behind the roller bearing, to stop needles going into the bearing if the needle roller fails? It would have to have very small holes in to allow oil through, but not big enough for needles to pass through.

Another day on the trannys, out of 4 i have found 2 casings with good ball bearings in and have cleaned them both up in the parts washer, ordered all new needle bearings and oil seals from my local bearing shop.

They have them all in stock at another branch and i will have them Wednesday, ive made a new gasket so at a standstill until they arrive