meadowfield

Kohler M16S rebuild

Been a busy week, managed an hour though...

Rebuilt the starter, though I think it's brand new anyway - so it just needed a blow through with the air line.

post-100-0-56674800-1427051951_thumb.jpg

Cleaned up the fuel pump, and rebuilt and cleaned the breather which was full of silicon!!!  morons, a gasket costs a few quid and it was full of bathroom silicon!!!!

IMG_20150321_161354_zps7orbdggj.jpg

Before I strip the cowl as it's got hammer rash, that's why it has a new starter... I took the liberty of making out a very vague serial number and printing a few new decals.

post-100-0-79794800-1427052094_thumb.jpg

Is there a verdict yet on the leaving the balance gears out Mark?

Reason for asking is that when I used a K301 from something else to replace the beyond economic repair one on my C-120 there were lots of things I had to transfer across but I left out the balance gears based on general consensus of opinion.

Engine ran well (and still does) but there are annoying vibrations when the speed of the engine hits the resonant frequency of things on the tractor, most notably the battery sitting in its mounting. In retrospect I wish I'd put them in but overtime you get used to the characteristics of any tractor. IMHO there is a reason for them being there but it's down to what bugs me most, the rattling on my C-100 (with) or the vibrations on the C-120 (without).

Nice rebuild BTW, quite understand the tolerances vs use decision.

Andy

I can't tell any difference with them out. Leaving them in would have cost me more money for shims and needle rollers - which were jiggered!!!

The rebuild went well, but despite a new rod, and closing up any big end wear in the rod it still knocks!!!! :(

Now I can live with it for a while - and I'm pleased the oil leaks have all gone. I will endeavour to get the crank pin reground 10 thou under and buy another rod next winter...

Been thinking of doing the C-125s engine come winter. Runs ok but uses a bit of oil and smokes on starting. Also there's a trace of oil tween head and barrel. Hopefully just rings and head gasket will cure it.

Well, after only 2 hours of running I have given up. The knock is terminal and I think any longer it will give up and cause a lot of damage.

So its been retired briefly and the 16hp out of a C-161 is in its place.

post-100-0-46498500-1442216776_thumb.jpg

Not as straight a swap as I hoped, the starter is lower down. The oil drain is different, and the wiring needs changing to add 12v to the coil...

At least your up and running again, I'm sure it's more important to get your building work done before the cold weather comes then you're have a nice workshop to play with bendy in

not running yet - starter wire too short and wrong ignition switch  :banghead: