Ian

A slight move around in the workshop

Howdo all, well I started the morning working on the brake caliper mountings on Why Not, but the got slightly distracted!

Would you look at all that space!!  I could fit the GT and 3 more Wh's in :D

TM45_zpsovwdgj6g.jpg

The extra space was made by moving a pile of wood and my tool chest, and also by turning the bench around that Why Not is on...

The reason for the space making.. You can just see it in front of the window..

TM46_zpsundv0phr.jpg

Yep, that's right.. The lathe I was selling is no longer for sale :D

TM47_zpshcyngcgl.jpg

So.. Why the change of heart?  The big problem I had with it was/is the shaft at the bottom with the pulleys in has some serious play.. Way too much to make it usable..

But this morning I was looking at it thinking I should really give driving the lathe straight from the motor a whirl..

So with the very worn drive chain removed, I threw a belt on to see how it went..

TM48_zpsuivbn2c2.jpg

Not the best of photo's but the lathe can take some quite serious deep cuts, far deeper than my old Southbend lathe..

TM49_zpsuczzpqv8.jpg

Quite a nice finish on this bit of bar as well..

TM50_zpsp24wwixy.jpg

So the plan is to use this lathe (a TW Monoturn) for taking the bulk of material off any turning that needs to be done and then finishing the details off on the Southbend..

I will be fitting a cooling system as the bigger the slices the more the metal gets hot...  :D

Looks great Ian, loads more space now for activities! Even enough room for a wheel horse or two :D I bet it's very handy having two lathes, especially with one being bigger than your south bend.

Tom

Good job. That pipe is the same as I used for the sleeves for the trans mod.

Thanks Norm. The bit of pipe is an odd bit of scaffold pipe I had kicking about..

Looks great Ian, loads more space now for activities! Even enough room for a wheel horse or two :D I bet it's very handy having two lathes, especially with one being bigger than your south bend.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Yep enough space for a Wh or 2 more.. They will come at some point...  I've not needed to use the Monoturn lathe yet, but I'm sure it will come in handy when the time comes..

Spring cleaning already mate, looks a lot better

Not sure it could be called spring cleaning.. That would be way too much work :D

looks a useful bit of kit!

I'm sure it will be :)

Wish I could see that much floor space in my workshop.

I wish I had that much space too!   It soon filled up with GT, heater, Hayter mower etc!

Wish I had a workshop

I thought you built a workshop Neil?

looks like there's space for the 6x6 again :lol:

If I had the money it would be back Koen..

I hope your health insurance premiums are paid up, if I had that tractor I would be in hospital all the time, its why I sold my Motorcycles, 10 wrecks in a month. A couple liters of Kentucky Straight Bourbon didn't have anything to do with the accidents (sure it didn't), but at least it lessened the pain temporarily. I don't ride two wheelers or drink anymore, but I could see getting upside down in that rig real fast. I'd love to see a video of it going down the street.

I hope your health insurance premiums are paid up, if I had that tractor I would be in hospital all the time, its why I sold my Motorcycles, 10 wrecks in a month. A couple liters of Kentucky Straight Bourbon didn't have anything to do with the accidents (sure it didn't), but at least it lessened the pain temporarily. I don't ride two wheelers or drink anymore, but I could see getting upside down in that rig real fast. I'd love to see a video of it going down the street.

Don't worry, unlike most Russian drivers I have a good sense of self preservation :D