S1g

My subaru pickup

Don't know if anyone is interested in what I've been up to recently but here's my accidental project. Boy don't they rot! Lots of holes and hidden rust. I've just completed a welding course at the local college, should get plenty of practise on this.

post-104-0-63543900-1390485750_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-75184100-1390485789_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-75087300-1390485814_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-01177000-1390485859_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-12240600-1390485899_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-15183300-1390485938_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-47911700-1390486068_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-31273800-1390486114_thumb.jpg

Here in the US Subaru called that the "Brat" but was discontinued years ago.  They came up with a Baja, but that's gone now too. What name is that one marketed under?

It called the MV over here and the brumby in Australia. Surprise, surprise hear in the uk ours were all supplied down to the lowest pec possible.

And if you're in New York and want to practice your sheet metal replacement, my 2003 Ford F250 is a great candidate to uh..... practice on :)

There's a few about with imprezza lumps in them, however I've allways fancied subaru s boxer diesel, however they are still too new to purchase one at the right price and the ecu etc would be a nightmare to sort out. It's surprising how quick the standard 1800 is also have never found anything like it in the snow. Getting very rare now only about 380 left on britains roads, so I will probably leave it standard.

Have you posted this on any car forums Gareth? Seeing your photo's is ringing a vague bell somewhere...   Or maybe it's just the strange sounds in my head :D

Recently I've only posted it on www.mvbrumbybrat.co.uk . Several year ago I posted a request on tractor box for help with the welding. Initially I was only going to do the arch and sill, however the deeper I dug then the more rust I turned up, combined with sourcing a fortunes worth of new old stock parts and panels it has accidentally snow balled into a full blown restoration. Originally I used it for moving my Howard's about, however by the time it's redone it may be to good for that and I've kind of outgrown it in the terms of rotavators.

Haven't been able to make much progress on this recently due to the weather. Have over the last few days been looking at all the near impossible to reach places underneath and have decided to take drastic action and remove the entire floor, due to wanting to try and preserve the ribs I've got to find and drill out about a thousand spot welds. Here's a photo of my mates truck with the floor(that was rotten) hacked out. Should be starting tonight, wish me luck!

post-104-0-40244100-1396527113_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-40433300-1396527135_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-99354100-1396527156_thumb.jpg

Good luck Gareth, sounds like a job and a half !! ;)

It's starting to get a bit out of hand Paul, only managed to drill a few spot welds out tonight, then it started to pee down yet again! I'm so far behind schedule because of nearly 4mths of bloody rain!!!

i met a farmer today gareth he was driving a mint one of these he said it was bought from a woodsman in the new forrest

That's a rare beast as subaru listed a choice of severe rot or terminal rot as part numbers on these trucks when new! It really does seem that every piece you sort just reveals more rust.

Well I hope I can save it, most of this was hidden under bathroom sealant and underseal. It did look a very sound truck, with only a bit of bubbling on the outer arch. Has any of our metal work gurus got any tips please on how they would tackle the repair?

I'm not sure where I'd start on that, so much metal missing!     It must be nearly 20 years since I last did any car body repairs!

This might be of help to you, this chap has been rebuilding a Vauxhall Victor, his hand fabrication is the best I've seen...  It's worth a read, on the second page he starts showing how he made the repair panels/patches.. It might give you a few ideas..

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/65793/1962-vauxhall-victor-fb-panels

Some very cool cars on that forum too :D

The chap on the vauxhall must be very skilled. Here's another pickup that arrived today. Hopefully this one is rust free though.

post-104-0-77045800-1397680280_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to waxoil your new pick-up, it should keep the iron oxide at bay for a while :)

I'm not sure where I would start on your blue pick-up, I'm guessing replacement panels are a bit thin on the ground... and any donor trucks would have the same rust problems by now unless you find one that really has been pampered from new...

How good are your metal fab skills? Your going to have to make a lot/most of the repairs panels/patches by hand!

Don't forget to waxoil your new pick-up, it should keep the iron oxide at bay for a while :)

I'm not sure where I would start on your blue pick-up, I'm guessing replacement panels are a bit thin on the ground... and any donor trucks would have the same rust problems by now unless you find one that really has been pampered from new...

How good are your metal fab skills? Your going to have to make a lot/most of the repairs panels/patches by hand!

Repair panels are impossible to gt, but I bought years ago the last set of outer arch repair patches. I don't have any metal fab skills, guess ill have to start learning fast.