Martin H

A question for the experts...I've been offered a C125..

I knew it...! it's not that easy, I thought it was just me, but it is one of those subjects...

Unfortunately the labels have worn off, so I don't know the model number, but it is definitely is a 42" side discharge.

Mmmm..Kevlar or non Kevlar... Andy seems to have some good ideas, especially based on the direct experience of doing some heavy duty cutting. Which is what I'm approaching, this orchard is about an acre. And it looks like I'll be needing spares on hand. Kevlar just  sounds tougher though..

One thing I've realised, the belts don't have to be brand specific, so that's a step forward. I do have the original belt, I say original, it came with the unusable deck so I don't know if it's the right one, it seems to be about the right length though, I'll check the profile tomorrow.

So it's the 2 profile measurements and length/pitch I need to get right. The lists and numbers I find densely confusing, especially since I don't have a model number to start with. So I think I'll follow Andy and see if I can find someone who sells belts in my area.

Thanks Wristpin and Andy, all that info was really helpful.

Cheers,

Martin

Ok Martin, I bow to Andy's experience of 'In the Field' use of types of manufacture/material.

Also Wrispin's Knowledge of Dayco Belt equivalents etc.

But  lets try and clear the air of uncertainty and resolve your issue. 

So you have a 42"side discharge Deck with no I.D and an early 80s C-125. Forget about the old 36" Deck and it's belt for now. 

I've checked as many 42"SD Deck model numbers from 1980 - 1986 and the predominant Belt used/recommended is #102742.

There are exceptions of course, so can't define the belt required exactly.

This Belt Duty is graded (in the U.S) as HA/A. and is 103" in length measured around it's Outer circumference (see image example of list below).

The Belt Section size is 1/2" x 5/16"  (also see image example below).

post-94-0-19609700-1431430213_thumb.gif

post-94-0-21590600-1431430214_thumb.gif

So all you can do is look for a retailer that quotes the Belt part number of an Aftermarket example, rather than look for an example by length. I also suspect the majority of belts are of the conventional standard, which probably would not last as long as an Agricultural Duty one.  

It also only needs the slight differences of Imperial to metric measurements to render a belt as ineffective in some installations.

So your situation requires you to fit the deck on your Tractor and lower it to cutting position to check the length required.

You can either trial fit the Old 102741 Belt which is 96.60 inches long and see just how short it is (note - ensure belt is always on the inner groove of the PTO Bell).

Or, use some rope of approx 1/2" (12.7mm) in section and ensure it is taught when you mark it for measuring.

If your check reveals that the Belt #102742 of 103inches outer length is correct or very close, then you will need to order by using Wheel Horse belt number 94-2501. This number supersedes the previous one, but both are still used for I.D.  

The other belt number (#108834) highlighted in blue on the Wheel Horse Manual example is commonly used on REAR Discharge Decks and is only to point out just how important it is to refer to Model numbers when looking for parts.

So when you have found which belt you need or length required, there is an Online site that quotes Old Wheel Horse Belts by Part Number as well as Belts by Manufacturer. So here is a link to assist your choice -

http://www.beltingonline.com/

(look down the left for 'Garden Machinery Belts', click on Manufacturer, search for Wheel Horse) 

Lastly, before you fit the Deck, check to see if there is a number on the Deck Spindle Drive Belt.

If so, please note it on here and I will see if I can narrow down the Deck Model number.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Well A.Traction, that is thoroughly comprehensive, thank you.

I have an agricultural engineering supplier near me, I was just going to take the old belt in and see if we could find a match, but this trove of information that you've supplied has thrown new light on the subject and will help even more.

I suspect the belt I've got isn't the right one anyway, as when I fitted it I had to wind in the adjustment on the double pulley at the front nearly all the way in and that can't be right..(probably why the belt shredded after an hour or so...:).

I think the next step is the rope measurement, if I couple that with the section size, I might be able to find some kind of match at my local or use the link you gave me. That'll have to wait until next week.

There's nothing on the spindle drive belt, so it's still a guess as to what model this is. Looks like it's going to be a problem finding out the model. I'll make some enquiries to the previous owner, see if I can get more details.

This is almost as bad as finding a decent cutter deck in the first place...:)

Thanks for the help and the link. I've now got some options..

Cheers,

Martin.

A bit more info for you, Just to clarify why your old deck/belt don't seem to match up or fit on your tractor, it is because the Deck is a 1972 model which used a different belt size to fit onto WH tractors of that age/era (prt nbr #9360 'A' Duty,  95.63inch long). Note the light duty belt type.

Being fitted to your 80s Tractor, I suspect the belt (102741) was selected based on the 80s style 36" Deck and your 80s WH Tractor. The main difference was the Belt adjuster system on the front of the Tractor, as it differed from the very early 70s and possibly the main Spindle/Pulley position and size.

As for your 42" SD Deck, and you have no info for it, I reckon your Deck Spindle Drive Belt should be WH Prt Nbr #6938  ,  HA or 4L duty and 86inches long....... (note the heavier duty type).

This belt number is quoted for nearly all mid 70s - late 80s WH 42"Side Discharge Decks according to Wheel Horse and later Toro.

Lets hope your Blades are sharp and balanced for now....that's another ballgame !.

Regards

Richard.  

After many years I think I just about understand the mystery of Bolens belts. Once you have gained the knowledge it's a wonderful thing and it is one of the many fun challenges of owning Wheelhorse, Bolens and other similar tractors in the UK.

Iain

Well done Richard for your tenacity in getting to the most likely issue. It is I that bow to your abilities in such matters. I would add another potential variable in that, whilst physically interchangeable and looking at first sight to be identical, deck spindles of the alloy bodied type with plain shafts have varied in design over time.

In substituting a good spindle from a rotted out deck during the resto of one of my decks, the shafts were a different diameter which meant the double pulley from the scrap deck had to be transferred across with it. The diameter of the pulley seemed to be the same but I recon its a fair bet there are some decks out there with a wrong sized drive pulley for this reason.

The two kevlar belt failures I had are more of a mystery, they were ordered online as being recommended for mower use. They were by a well known belt manufacturer and had the off-whitish / grey outer wrapping (which looks kind of odd on a WH) and had the correct profile. Towards the end of the first season the outer wrapping on each had begun to separate from the belt.

As they were on two different tractors with the decks permanently mounted for the season it seemed unlikely that I had a pulley or alignment issue on both but in case there was a problem I replaced the belts with the standard black ones rather than trash more expensive ones again.

To date the standard belts are still in good order but obviously are unlikely to last as long in the long term. Possibly there was a manufacturing defect or I suppose there's a chance that the belts were 'copies' from the far east but results from the standard belts tend to indicate that there wasn't an issue with pulley condition or alignment etc. or even the punishment going through long grass that my decks get from time to time.

Hi Martin,

My 1989 312-8 has a 42" sd deck, if you're sill having problems obtaining a belt I could take mine off for you to try,if it fits you can then take it in for comparison.

Doug.

Ok...been away for a while, so no progress with the belt, but I'm back on it now..

I have measured with a 1/2" rope as suggested and I got a size of 96" with the adjuster in a roughly middle position. So according to Anglo Traction's research it looks like it's probably the 102741 belt at 96.6", which I'll purchase from beltingonline.. I haven't found a local supplier yet, but it's a start..

I do have one more question if anybody's still reading this...:) The tach o matic system. When I try to attach the deck I find that the forked piece at the front of the deck on the cantilevered frame thing won't go around the bar above/inside the locking section. It's  about a half inch out and there seems to be no room for adjustment to make it fit. The deck will go in without the fork being in position, but I'm not sure what the fork does and how important it is that it's seated around that small bar, if indeed that's where it's supposed to go..

Thanks again for all the info so far, absolutely invaluable...:)

Cheers all..

Martin.

It should fit round the small bar above. Are you getting the deck located correctly. The two raised pieces on the locating bar, should fit between the tach-o-matic side.

Hi Stormin,

Thanks, I thought that's where it goes. Yes,the raised pieces are inside the the edges, but I can't get the angle right so it will locate, the fork is angled too far back by about an inch. It looks like the cantilever frame on top of the deck needs to move back so the fork will drop a bit, but there's no adjustment to make it possible. That right angle pin in the middle of the frame holds it solid.

Now I know where it's supposed to go, maybe it is something to do with where I've positioned the deck, but I've got it on a flat surface, square on, so it's at the right height. 

A weird thing for sure...I can see it should be easy to fit..

Thanks Stormin, now I know the fork does need to go around that bar.. :)  Yes the raised pieces are inside the locking plates and I've got it on a flat surface square and lined up.

It feels like the frame on top of the deck needs to move back a little so the fork can drop enough, but the right-angle pin holds it solid so there's no play.

This is a riddle... :)

Edited by Martin H

I'm unsure what you mean by 'right height'. If you've pushed it underneath and locate the lift arm in the slot, you should be able to lift the deck and position the fork etc with your free hand. Lift lever should lock in raise position and you can then lock the tac-o-matic. By flat surface I assume you mean the ground?

Right...seems like it's a knack....I shall give it another go and if I can't get it to work, I'll take some pics..

Yes the flat surface was the ground with a couple of boards to make sure it was flat...:)

(Sorry my second post back there was an error, "This is a riddle", didn't realise we'd moved on to another page..)

The fork should be on the right hand side of the deck. That is RH of the tractor. As for being at an angle, when deck is raised it angles to the back, but only slightly. Practically straight up.

The right hand side of the deck/tractor if you're facing forwards..?  I think this may be it...the fork is on the left.. For whatever reason, the previous owner had it that way round..I need to find my spanners...

But it'll have to wait until I get back next week..

Edited by Martin H

Yep, the bar was the wrong way around, goes on easy peasy now... I thought it would be something obvious, don't know why the previous owner would have reversed it.

Anyway it works now, all I have to do is get a belt that fits and I'm there.. Ordered one from belting online, but it's slightly too short. Ahem...or is there another knack to fitting a belt that I don't know about, beginning to feel like a dumbo here...:)

Thanks all for the help, yet again...:)

Reckon your in serious need of some bedtime reading material Martin !.

Download yourself a copy of this and see if it helps to explain some of your Deck fitting issues-

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2135-mower-rotary-42in-rd-1984-05-42mr02-om-810345r1pdf/

As we have no idea what model your Deck is, this will cover many of them about the same age, type etc. 

Regards