Martin H

A question for the experts...I've been offered a C125..

Just hang in looking for a deck, one will turn up! Hey always do, my last one was almost free :) apart form the 500 mile round trip!

One before came with a plough and snowplough for 50 quid!

Thanks Stormin, finally found it, nice job, you make it look so simple.. :)

And that is very encouraging at this stage Meadowfield, thanks, I was starting to wonder what I'd got myself into...

Anyway, here's some photos, (promise not to laugh at the bodywork)...and you may notice a rather interesting exhaust modification which is well outside the realms of health and safety. Still, as long as you don't touch it after it's been running it's ok... :)

post-436-0-02659500-1429285263.jpgpost-436-0-55978200-1429285265.jpgpost-436-0-53285200-1429285266.jpgpost-436-0-61180800-1429285267.jpgpost-436-0-62172900-1429285268.jpgpost-436-0-85645300-1429285269.jpgpost-436-0-92153400-1429285272.jpgpost-436-0-43641600-1429285275.jpgpost-436-0-74041700-1429285278.jpg

Edited by Martin H

Haha, now now, steady on...it was one of the things that first attracted me to it, I think it has a certain delicate charm. Who wants boring old solid panels when you can have such fine lacework...:)

Seriously though, it is just the least important panels, well, sort of, as long as you don't lean on them... The engine cover is ok, I doubt whether I'd have bought it if that was riddled as well. Underneath it all it is a solid runner and the tyres are in brilliant condition. The exaust pipe arrangement worries me a little bit, but I imagine that could be sorted in time. I guess whoever did it had to loop it to make room for the belt.

Interesting Stormin, recoverable you say. Is there a special kind of filler I'm currently unaware of?

Maybe some fiberglass mesh and bondo? If there was a product that could repair that deck they could sell alot of it by taking on your project. At least you still have the outline of the deck.

Wow, the rust worms have been at work!!    But I rather like the look, as you say Martin, it has a certain charm :)

The belt guard looks repairable but I wouldn't fancy trying to tackle the curves on the fender pan!

Hi Martin, :WMOM:

whereabouts in Cambs are you? I think I've got a C121 exhaust in the shed You're welcome to if you can make use of it.

regards Doug.

Hello Doug,

That sounds interesting, would that mean I could replace that long length of custom exhaust pipe?

I'm over near St Ives. I could also collect if you're not too far away...

Cheers,

Martin.

Apart from the obvious Martin she looks like a decent tractor, in time you can easily replace those fenders& belt guards.

As long as she does what she was designed to do then she will serve you well

Thanks Neil, moral support is always most welcome. Yes underneath everything is solid and functioning as it should even though it won't win any beauty pageants.. The thing that amazes me is that the seat is in perfect condition, from what I've seen of other machines that always seems to be the first thing to go.

Despite appearances and as you can probably tell, there are only three panels with rot. The one under the seat and the two by the foot-wells, are those two the belt guards you're referring to?

Hi Martin, the belt guard is the big one on the right side (the drive belt from the engine is behind it), the cover on the left side hides all the lift gubbins.

The good news is the the belt guard, the left side cover and the fender pan are all bolt on panels and don't take much time to change them.

Hi Martin,

found the silencer,it;s for a C121, but i think the C125 is the same.

I live in Sutton, just up the road from you. I'll be coming through St Ives tomorrow evening,off to the garden centre.

if you p.m. me your address I'll drop it off for you.

regards Doug

.post-206-0-78808600-1429734000_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ian,

I bet those panels are hard to find though.

There was a chap on Fleabay called Horsebreaker selling parts, I don't know if he is still doing it though..

Have you thought about placing a "wanted" ad in our classified section?

Hi Doug, I missed your post, I've sent a PM..:)

Hi Ian, I did a search for him, doesn't look like he's around..I might just do the wanted ads when I've settled this machine with it's cutter deck..:)

Stormin, yes I do know one agricultural engineer/welder, but he's quite expensive and does a fair amount of tooth sucking. I think he'd find it rather an unwelcome challenge..:)

There was a chap on Fleabay called Horsebreaker selling parts, I don't know if he is still doing it though..

Hi Ian, I did a search for him, doesn't look like he's around..

I'm not sure if Bob Lewis is still breaking Wheel Horses, but you could try giving him a ring. Here is a link I found, as I've not been down t see him for a long while and I'd lost his email-

http://www.misterwhat.co.uk/company/2145205-wheel-horse-breaker-Swindon

Regards, Richard.

Thanks to Tom I now have a solid, usable 42" cutter deck. Never thought it would happen..now I can get on with some work in the orchard at last.. Thank you Tom..:)

I do have the next question that is probably always asked by a new owner of a deck. Where's the best place to find a drive belt for a deck and what am I looking for?

I've looked around the forums and can't find any info.

Cheers,

Martin.

"Where's the best place to find a drive belt for a deck and what am I looking for?"

As Wheelhorses were always a bit under specified for UK grass I would always buy a Kevlar corded belt rather than a generic nylon or rayon "black belt".

Hopefully someone on the forum has already found out the correct measurement as I'm fairly sure that Wheelhorse only quoted part numbers and didn't mark their belts with inch sizes. Do you know the model number of the deck and is it side or rear eject?.

Edit,

Found these

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsou48qffbpg69a/Wheelhorse%20belts0001.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0q7m1iin4hkzl3/WH%20Quick%20Reference0001.pdf?dl=0

Edited by Wristpin

A few things from experience using wheel horses with cutting decks (three with 42" RD and one with 42" SD) to maintain up to 8 acres of field grass.

I tried the more expensive Kevlar belts and found they lasted no longer than the cheaper black ones under the punishment I give them at times. No idea why but I've returned to using the black ones.

There's a belt size reference chart downloadable from the RS forum site but I haven't had a lot of luck using it to get the correct belt to the extent of wondering if they don't measure belts differently over there.

I get my belts from the local bearing stockists in my town who also stock a full range of v-belts. Where I haven't had an original to take in I've got a measurement using a piece of rope and sometimes that's worked bang on but they've got used to me buying a belt one day then getting them to swap it for one an inch longer or shorter the next which they've always been ok about. A clear advantage of buying locally rather than ordering online.

I've found the price is comparable with online when you take delivery into account and if you pay cash but the real benefit has to be the fact they'll change it if its wrong (in my experience).

I'm cutting field grass where it's being rested from the real horses (as opposed to wheel horses) grazing it and at times it can be six to eight inches high. In the worst case I've taken out grass nearer to 12 inches high but you have to have the tractor crawling, sharp blades, take about a half deck width pass each time, oh and I have the deck in its raised position which doesn't do the belt a whole lot of good. The grass needs to be pretty dry as well.

I regret now not getting a photo when we've had three of the WHs mowing a four acre field. 

Andy

Quote "There's a belt size reference chart downloadable from the RS forum site but I haven't had a lot of luck using it to get the correct belt to the extent of wondering if they don't measure belts differently over there."

Three common measuring systems. Inner diameter, outer diameter and mean pitch length. Often not specified which system is in use!

The other thing to bear in mind is that the US expressions of belt section do not coincide directly with our A and B sections and may make the belt ride higher or lower in the pulley thereby changing the belt length required between two or more fixed points.

The comment about Kevlar belts having no or little advantage over black belts surprises me greatly and is contrary to my own experience however  if in that application the black belts are giving satisfactory performance so be it!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2euxop4vyvf8eia/Dayco%20belt%20section%20info0001.pdf?dl=0

Dayco belt section info0001.pdf

Edited by Wristpin