HeadExam

A Bit of Yard Work

Next week is finals week so I have to "make hay while the sun is shining". I set an old basketball goal up in cement to use as a hoist, mowed the yard, used the edger around nearly a kilometer of fence line. Also spent some time watching some onions grow and beans, corn, okra, and potatoes try to break through the soil.

post-384-0-06455100-1430087828_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-10517500-1430087868_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-45839200-1430087896_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-71627800-1430087916_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-91588800-1430087955_thumb.jpg

I have so many other projects, a repair on a Ariens HT18 for a friend, sorting out some electrical issues with the Well House, trying to figure out if I want to replace a wall oven or put in a stand alone unit. Then I have a 1973 CASE 224 in pieces I want to restore, I already did the deck and blade. I also have a 1974 Homelite T-16H that I'm working on building a rear lift and lift rod for. On top of all that I have decided to restore the Bolens 1556 and I have it torn down and almost ready for primer. I have finals the first week in May, I start summer school session the second week in May, I'm taking Humanities 2 and Internship 2. My Internship 2 class is in Cultural Anthropology and I will be working at a Native American dig site 11,000 years old not far from my house.

If you have that many projects on the go, how can you find the time to watch your veggy's grow.

Nice house and Yard. Plenty of room to play. A bit bigger than my postage stamp size garden.

Just been staring at your veggy plot photo again, but can't see anything moving. Or is it me.?

The dig site is from Clovis aged native people, pre-dating most tribes. It is a rock shelter that was used as a temporary hunting camp.We have retrieved thousands of artifacts and have barely scratched the surface, it looks like this particular site was in use for thousands of years. No matter how busy a person is he should always take time to watch something grow or just time to ponder. I think of those native people so many thousands of years ago, and the effort it took to feed, clothe, and shelter themselves and their family and yet they still gazed toward the stars and pondered from where they might have come.

Archeology is a fascinating subject to study. In many ways I should have studied it or medieval history at University instead of what I did which was Environmental Planning and Management. In many ways that degree forged my career in the National Trust; I guess archeology would have led me to do something totally unrelated due to lack of available jobs.

Archeology is a fascinating subject to study. In many ways I should have studied it or medieval history at University instead of what I did which was Environmental Planning and Management. In many ways that degree forged my career in the National Trust; I guess archeology would have led me to do something totally unrelated due to lack of available jobs.

You did good Andrew, Archaeology doesn't pay well. I'm interested in the cultural aspect of ancient civilizations. My capstone project, and hopefully my Masters study will be centered around Biopsycological evolution, in other words how society has changed the way we humans think through out time. I'm afraid that the passion and fight is being bred out of humans, a lion is a lion, because he always stays a lion. We human change, from a hunter gather society to one of a horticultural society, then a agrarian society to industrial and beyond. We are no longer masters of our own domain and it shows in the way we think. We are like zoo bears, we still look the same, but instead of feeling hungry and hunting food the zoo bear knows the sound of the dinner plate.

If you have that many projects on the go, how can you find the time to watch your veggy's grow.

Nice house and Yard. Plenty of room to play. A bit bigger than my postage stamp size garden.

Just been staring at your veggy plot photo again, but can't see anything moving. Or is it me.?

Alan, you have to squint real hard and have a poor power source that makes the screen flicker, then they move. That's what i have here. The largest power generating station in four states lies not 2 k from my front door and I have to by power from an electric cooperative, that buys power from someone that buys power from someone else and then in the end gets it me. If I follow my electric line I bet they go straight to the power plant and were all being given the shaft.

I've a nephew whose married to a native American up in North Dakota.

What tribe is she affiliated with?  Dakota and Lakota Sioux ( these include the Yanktonia, Siseton, Whapeton and Hunkpapa) are the larger tribes, but then you have the Mandan Hidasta, Arikara, Chippewa, Cree, and Metis tribes as well. Things for Native Americans on the Res are not good, they suffer from a lot of different mental illnesses that attribute to drug, alcohol, and domestic violence issues many times the rate of other communities. it doesn't help that there is over 60 percent unemployment for NA's and virtually no opportunities for work, lots of discrimination and now that the oil companies have set up shop there to harvest oil from tar sands it's even worse, not better.