Yesterday I rescued a Norman twin cylinder 600cc marine engine. It was originally fitted to a small launch on Windermere.

A neat little unit horizontally opposed crank start. The magneto has been modified to  external coil ignition but looks as if it could be easily reversed.

Not sure what I will do with it but too good to scrap, if there are any vintage boat enthusiasts that can make good use of it let me know.post-292-0-63532400-1430412955_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-19855600-1430413000_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-21917600-1430413071_thumb.jpg

Is Norman a make on its own or a marinaded version of another manufacturer? When I saw the name Norman my mind went straight to the old Norman cycle and motor cycle factory in Ashford , Kent !

Pretty sure its the same firm that made engines and motorcycles...

Not so sure about that as they used Villiers engines in their motor bikes. Particularly memorable the 250cc two stroke twin - either flat out or oiled up!

According to a bit of research, they were made by the same company. Also I think that's a t600 not a t300. I'm also getting ideas that could get me in trouble. :rolleyes:

Hi 

A member of our local club has two of these norman engines fully restored and rallied. next time i see him I will get some photos.

He told me they were used by the local council on their lawn mowers

George S  :england:

Not so sure about that as they used Villiers engines in their motor bikes. Particularly memorable the 250cc two stroke twin - either flat out or oiled up!

I remember a chap who had one with a 'Wal Philips' fuel injector in the sixties, no float chamber,just a rotary tapered 'groove' if my memory serves me correctly, if you forgot to turn the petrol off when you stopped,it all ran out into the engine :wub: fuel tank was a different shape to the bikes of that era too I seem to recall.