As a relative newcomer to actually showing machines, I am interested to know how judging is carried out. Most of my machines are either original patina condition or fully restored but used and as such have battle scars. Having a nice shiny machine is ok but hard to maintain if the machine actually does a job.  Winning a prize is very nice but taking the machines to shows for me is about meeting like minded people and spreading interest in the machines of your choice.

At Tractor World it was quite amazing just how many people approached me with stories about Ransomes tractors they owned or had owned and indeed that is how I came to own MG2 137 because the owner was sad to see it languishing at the back of a shed in bits.

A lot depends on the judge on the day, Jonathan. Some will go for a nice, sympathetic restoration. There's some, who are in Land Rover terms, are rivet counters. Others for one in it's working clothes. Some will deduct points if it won't run or in the case of cars etc, if trailered to the show.  The wrong engine and modern fitments, will lose points. In the end, there are no hard and fast rules.

I think they should judge the machines on what sort of feel they give rather than if it's got all the original washers or not..

But maybe I feel like that because I could never build a "show machine" that I would be scared of using in case it got scratched or something!