Tom

The bug has bitten once again...

First of all I'd like to say a massive thank you to Iain (slf-uk) as I wouldn't have been able to get it home without him. He very kindly offered to collect this wheel horse for me as my father is currently ill and is unable to drive. I am overwhelmed by his generosity, so thank you Iain.

I have been wanting an auto wheel horse for a while and this one popped up advertised as not having a spark but it looked very tidy in the pictures. I liked the look of it a lot as it was original. I spoke to the owner and he was very honest and said that the wiring needed going through, I set my limit and luckily I won it. My plans are to try and source a hydraulic lift assembly for it and plumb it all in, it's definitely going to be a keeper. Anyway, I know you all want pictures so here it is:

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_5.jpg

It also came with some weird sort of frame under the hitch, anyone know what this is and whether it's original?

image_4.jpg

After I got it home I couldn't resist having a play and to see if I could get it running. I tested the coil, condenser and spark plug and they were all OK, cleaned and reset gap on the points but still no luck. I then ran a temporary wire giving the coil constant power from the battery and turned it over and we had a spark, put the plug in and off she went, a fair bit of smoke but it soon cleared, it hasn't been run in about 5 years so it was expected. The lack of spark was down to some awful wiring, here is an example of a join in the wire:

image_1.jpg

This was just covered in insulation tape, the wiring is totally gone and I have decided I am going to make a new wiring harness. The only problems I'm having is finding a plug for the ignition, also what connectors do these plugs use? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

Tom

Looking good

Well done Iain :D for collecting for you

I love the wiring :huh:

Edited by Chris

Thanks guys, I am very pleased. I spoke to the owner and the previous owner before him had a trailer for it and I wonder if like Mark said it was to strengthen it and to take the strain off of the transmission. On the right hand side of the fender there is also a decal which says the tractor tyre pressures and the trailer tyre pressure which I haven't seen before. I will have to get a picture of it.

Tom

Happy to help Tom. It was great to have some time on the journey to talk about our equipment and to see the tractor.

I am really pleased you managed to sort it out so quickly. It is a lovely machine and other than the wiring it appears to have been well looked after.

The frame under the hitch is very interesting and well made. Even if it was not a factory option it may have been something the importer offered.

Iain

Thanks Paul!

It certainly was, always nice to have a catchup. Thanks again. I am really happy just to hear it running and have a little drive, at least now it gives me motivation to get the wiring sorted. You may be right about the hitch, definitely interesting.

Tom

Nice find Tom.

It even came with the rare snow plough axle bracket.

By the way I haven't forgot your parcel , been a bit busy with family problems but will try to get sorted for you ASAP

Neil

Nice find Tom.

It even came with the rare snow plough axle bracket.

By the way I haven't forgot your parcel , been a bit busy with family problems but will try to get sorted for you ASAP

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thank you, I also spotted the snow plough bracket, I already have one so if someone wants one let me know :D That's fine, just let me know once you've sent it, hope the family problems are sorting themselves out.

Tom

Is that what that is under the hitch, Neil? Or is there something I can't see?

You can see it in the last picture, it's the little brackets attached to the axle housing, this is a picture of one removed from the machine:

070617C2-E886-44CD-850F-2197CF4086CE.jpg

They are used with snow ploughs and also rotovators I think.

Tom

I've two of those. Well one original really and one I made. I was wondering if that extra bit on your hitch, Tom was something some thing to do with a different model of snowplough.

It could be, never heard or seen one before though. The only thing me and Iain could think it would be was a strengthener for the hitch. Apparently the previous owner used it a lot with a trailer, which would also make sense because of the tyre pressures for the trailer on the side of the fender, which makes me think when there is a lot of nose weight on the trailer the bottom plate on the hitch is pushing against the transmission and this piece of angled metal helps stop that. I'm not sure what else it could be..

Tom

Great tractor, I'd have been tempted myself but I have one already. An auto is wonderful when it comes to cutting grass for getting in and out of corners effortlessly compared to a manual.

Wiring - when you rewire it add a fuse even though these didn't have one as original spec. I had to completely rewire mine as a result of the ignition coil going short circuit internally which cooked the loom and destroyed an almost new set of points and the ignition switch!

Rear hitch - I haven't seen a reinforced one like that before but my guess (having just got a vac-bagger) is that this is more than likely the hitch supplied to go with that. The bagger mount locks into the under axle hitch then balances on the rear towing hitch. It weighs a ton before being filled with grass hence my guess re what this is. See http://myoldmachine.com/topic/1873-vacuum-bagger-for-wheel-horse/#entry20428  As your tractor has an SD deck there's a possibility it was originally supplied with a bagger and the hitch it has on it now - again just a guess though.

Decals - don't know if anyone noticed the tiny WH logo on the side of the hood by the headlights. One of my D-200s had these on either cheek. Consensus was that these were supplied to dealers as a promotional thing and some dealers or possibly owners did get round to putting them on. They're a rare sight! 

post-103-0-94771400-1430907129_thumb.jpg

You can probably  just about make it out on this pic if you click on it to enlarge it. If you are going to restore the tractor then Mark (meadowfield) has the artwork for these tiny decals as he made them for my 'D' set.

Andy

This was just covered in insulation tape, the wiring is totally gone and I have decided I am going to make a new wiring harness.

The only problems I'm having is finding a plug for the ignition, also what connectors do these plugs use? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks for looking,

Tom

The wiring connectors used on Wheel Horse Tractors are the same as used in the U.S Automobile Industry (mainly). The Female Spade connectors are 'Packard type 56' , they have a locking facility when pushed into a connector block.

I meticulously removed, cleaned  and reused the ones on my '74' C-120 Loom I fabricated, as I wanted to keep it to spec and not do a Maplin or Halfords Bodge. 

The 5 pin connector block for the back of the Ignition Switch I fitted to mine was from the Oregon Aftermarket brand in the U.S.

I will search my records for the part number.

Tractor looks to be in good order, saw it on Auction, so good haul.

Edit @ 1445 - ref 5 way connector. Google these-     5 way oregon 33-350        or      Delphi 5 way black 2973422

May be worth asking someone on RS nicely to make up a small parcel of bits......that's what I did. 

I think you could be right with your guess about the hitch, Andy. Makes sense. I've got a couple of those little Wheel Horse decals. Came with the C-81 I think. (Unless Richard sent them.)  I assumed to fit the gear change knobs. I've not done so though.

Great tractor, I'd have been tempted myself but I have one already. An auto is wonderful when it comes to cutting grass for getting in and out of corners effortlessly compared to a manual.

Wiring - when you rewire it add a fuse even though these didn't have one as original spec. I had to completely rewire mine as a result of the ignition coil going short circuit internally which cooked the loom and destroyed an almost new set of points and the ignition switch!

Rear hitch - I haven't seen a reinforced one like that before but my guess (having just got a vac-bagger) is that this is more than likely the hitch supplied to go with that. The bagger mount locks into the under axle hitch then balances on the rear towing hitch. It weighs a ton before being filled with grass hence my guess re what this is. See http://myoldmachine.com/topic/1873-vacuum-bagger-for-wheel-horse/#entry20428  As your tractor has an SD deck there's a possibility it was originally supplied with a bagger and the hitch it has on it now - again just a guess though.

Decals - don't know if anyone noticed the tiny WH logo on the side of the hood by the headlights. One of my D-200s had these on either cheek. Consensus was that these were supplied to dealers as a promotional thing and some dealers or possibly owners did get round to putting them on. They're a rare sight! 

attachicon.gifD200.jpg

You can probably  just about make it out on this pic if you click on it to enlarge it. If you are going to restore the tractor then Mark (meadowfield) has the artwork for these tiny decals as he made them for my 'D' set.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Good to hear from you. The auto is definitely nice, I have only had a little drive but it's very smooth. 

I will definitely put some fuses in after what happened to you. When you rewired yours did you use new or original plugs?

It's interesting about the hitch, you may very well be right. I know Neil just mentioned about it being an import or Belgium thing and this C120 is a Belgium model. If it was something that you need to fit your lawn vacuum let me know as it's of no use to me! It certainly does look factory.

I wondered what the little decals were, I've never seen them before. It's also got a decal which says "I've got a horse, wheel horse of course" which I think is factory. I am ordering some decals from Mark so may get some more of them. It is missing one so I am replacing the bonnet decals but I'm not going to restore it. I may spray the wheels though.

Tom

The wiring connectors used on Wheel Horse Tractors are the same as used in the U.S Automobile Industry (mainly). The Female Spade connectors are 'Packard type 56' , they have a locking facility when pushed into a connector block.

I meticulously removed, cleaned  and reused the ones on my '74' C-120 Loom I fabricated, as I wanted to keep it to spec and not do a Maplin or Halfords Bodge. 

The 5 pin connector block for the back of the Ignition Switch I fitted to mine was from the Oregon Aftermarket brand in the U.S.

I will search my records for the part number.

Tractor looks to be in good order, saw it on Auction, so good haul.

Hi,

I had read they were packard style but I wasn't sure what type. I have tried searching but I can only find them in the US like you mentioned. I will try and save as many as I can but if it does need new ones I may use some more modern connectors for now, maybe eventually I could make it totally original but it is a working tractor. I would appreciate if you could get the part number. It's definitely a nice machine, I'm certainly pleased :D

Tom

I did notice that the deck has a large number of fixing holes on the exit end of the deck. I have no idea if all WH decks are like that but it may suggest that it had a bagger attached at some point in the past.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered some male/female spade connectors with the locking facility and single connector blocks. They were cheapish so I though I would see if they are a match for use on our type of tractors. Still waiting for them to be delivered.

Iain

I did notice that the deck has a large number of fixing holes on the exit end of the deck. I have no idea if all WH decks are like that but it may suggest that it had a bagger attached at some point in the past.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered some male/female spade connectors with the locking facility and single connector blocks. They were cheapish so I though I would see if they are a match for use on our type of tractors. Still waiting for them to be delivered.

Iain

Hi Iain,

You are certainly right about the deck having more holes next to the chute than normal. You may very well be right, I'll have to get some more pictures of it.

Where did you get them if you don't mind me asking, I am trying to find similar connectors as well.

Tom

Another one Tom!!   Are you trying to make up for the machines you have sold of late :D

A nice find mate :thumbs:

I know, I kept telling myself no more! I have to admit I have been wanting an auto horse for a while so I think this is it for a while now :D

Tom

Hi Iain,

You are certainly right about the deck having more holes next to the chute than normal. You may very well be right, I'll have to get some more pictures of it.

Where did you get them if you don't mind me asking, I am trying to find similar connectors as well.

Tom

I know, I kept telling myself no more! I have to admit I have been wanting an auto horse for a while so I think this is it for a while now :D

Tom

I bought them from the usual auction site and by coincidence they arrived today. They took so long to be delivered that I forgot I ordered them and it looks like I ordered a second set, old age having an impact. I'll PM you the link and if the second set arrive before we catch-up in a couple of weeks time, you can have them.

Iain

I bought them from the usual auction site and by coincidence they arrived today. They took so long to be delivered that I forgot I ordered them and it looks like I ordered a second set, old age having an impact. I'll PM you the link and if the second set arrive before we catch-up in a couple of weeks time, you can have them.

Iain

Thanks for the PM Iain with the link. That'd be great, thank you. It will be interesting to see how you get on with them, they are just what I was looking for.

Tom

Bit of an update, I have removed the deck, I seem to have a few different sizes now!

9E5C873F-E9D1-4372-B4FB-A5616D01264F.jpg

I have also taken the fuel tank and support out, it makes it a lot easier to get to the electrics.

1BD309E1-D07E-4612-8747-2F3CA403504E.jpg

The back of the ammeter is smashed so that needs replacing. I am also replacing the ignition switch and plug from another mower I have here. The ignition switch and plug is not in great condition. I will then replacing all the wiring, the front headlights work however the rear light needs a new bulb. The clutch/brake switch work so I will include this in the circuit. I'm really looking forward to getting this running!

Tom