WestwoodGazelle

One of the first Westwood Gazelles

Seems there is a new addition to the herd :lol:

post-164-0-83538800-1431119023_thumb.jpg

As far as I know this is one of the earliest Westwoods. If you look at the foot rests they are very different from the later ones which rise up near the front of the mower, and have some pretty nice sharp angles :lol: The gear selector is in the same sort of place in front of the seat as a classic Wheelhorse instead of being column shift. The whole mower also seems to sit a couple of inches lower than my other Gazelle. It is basically exactly the same as my other one but everything is slightly different.

post-164-0-37009100-1431119032_thumb.jpg

As far as I know this is from the late 1970s, but I shall check tomorrow, and get some better photos. It does not run currently, the carb needs some attention and the deck needs a new belt to mow with.

I plan on keeping this Gazelle as original as possible, I have rarely seen ones of this age about, and it isn't in bad condition at all, only some surface rust.

It needs some TLC but overall is very solid.

I think it would be a shame to repaint it but I wouldn't want it to eventually rust away, is there any product I can use to preserve it whilst keeping it with an original look? 

One of my customers' neighbour in Dittisham got a old Westfield from around that era parked up in the orchard. The gardener uses it from time to time and it always fires up first go. Amazing as it is outside in all weathers. I will try and take a photo of it when I am next out there.

Thanks all! I shall get some decent pictures today including the side :)

I'm sure someone has told me before but I've forgotten, where is the serial number on these 11hp Briggs and Stratton engines?

I would love to see a picture of that Westfield, Andrew.

Thanks all! I shall get some decent pictures today including the side :)

I'm sure someone has told me before but I've forgotten, where is the serial number on these 11hp Briggs and Stratton engines?

I would love to see a picture of that Westfield, Andrew.

Its on the engine shroud should be on the round part of the shroud with a model/type/code stamp into the metal/tin. Might need to burnish a little or rub with a wet rag to see the numbers, flashlight helps too. As long as that is the original engine it will give you a good idea when the mower was made. Most mowers of a certain year started production and sold tractor before the actual year. A 1977 tractor or mower most likely started production in September of 1976 and ended or started a new years production run in August or September the following year. if you have a low serial number 1972 (or whatever year) tractor it is likely it was built in the calendar year before the model year.

Its on the engine shroud should be on the round part of the shroud with a model/type/code stamp into the metal/tin. Might need to burnish a little or rub with a wet rag to see the numbers, flashlight helps too. As long as that is the original engine it will give you a good idea when the mower was made. Most mowers of a certain year started production and sold tractor before the actual year. A 1977 tractor or mower most likely started production in September of 1976 and ended or started a new years production run in August or September the following year. if you have a low serial number 1972 (or whatever year) tractor it is likely it was built in the calendar year before the model year.

Thanks for the help! :) The number is: 252707 1062 01 78061411

I suppose that means that the year of the engine is 1978? So more likely it was made in 1977?

Afternoon,

I believe the engine was made on 14th June 1978 so possibly a 78 machine being midway through the year?

Philip

Thanks Philip! That is very interesting to know, must be an early Westwood then.

I managed to get some work done today. First thing was to change the flat tyre, luckily I had a spare Westwood wheel in the garage. The "split pin" holding on the old wheel was pretty interesting :lol:

post-164-0-80991800-1431188789_thumb.jpg

Here is the side-picture for HeadExam

post-164-0-50671300-1431188802_thumb.jpg

The "battery box" is also pretty interesting, I'm not 100% sure it's original

post-164-0-70411800-1431188823_thumb.jpg

Now I have a problem when I open the fuel line tap near the carb, petrol comes pouring out the part here circled in red. I will have to investigate further, especially since the first place it will reach is the exhaust.

post-164-0-99946200-1431188811_thumb.jpg

This may be hard to work out but it is where the gear stick attatches to the gear box and the rusty lump on the left is the end of the exhaust, which seems to exit inside the seat box, how strange, but seems original.

post-164-0-70149200-1431188834_thumb.jpg

Although this Westwood is built like a tank the quality control seems pretty awful, they welded the seat box to the chassis with a huge gap one side and a tiny one the other :lol: Interestingly, on my 1984 Westwood Gazelle, the seat box is bolted on, not welded. EDIT: I wonder if the different gaps are intentional due to the positioning of the exaust and other parts inside the seat box?

post-164-0-42712000-1431188869_thumb.jpg

And finally just some nice pics :)

post-164-0-24426600-1431188857_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-91279400-1431188845_thumb.jpg

Edited by WestwoodGazelle

Leaking fuel points to float & needle problem.

Thanks Chris, it turned out that the needle was not pushing up far enough. Spent some time ajusting it and solved the problem by ajusting a piece of metal on the float but bent it too far and now we're under-fueling :lol:

I ran out of time today but I think a couple of hours and it'll be sorted. The engine fired up till the fuel ran out, but with plumes of white smoke, at first I shut it off straight away thinking wires were melting but nothing was hot and it was coming from the end of the exhaust. The second time I briefly fired it up there was less smoke, so my friend suggested it's just not been run for ages and it's just exhaust burning off steam and all the dust inside it? I have a fire extinguisher on stand by just in case, I won't know for sure until I get it running for a while.

The good news is when it does run, it's one of the smoothest B&S engines I've heard, so as long as the smoke is just from some lack of use, it should be simple to get it running again :)

Good job on getting it going. A old mechanic told me once you get one running after a long spell try to let them run for a while adjusting the throttle from higer to lower and back and forth slowly, but run for a good thirty minutes. Some Seafoam would help as well

A very similar one dragged out of it's burial ground yesterday.  Same gear lever arrangement, footrests, exhaust,

hood.  8 hp engine on this one. The front and rear wheels are the same diameter although with different tires.

post-385-0-42977600-1436988819_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-46752400-1436988728_thumb.jpg

Turned on it's side to remove the remains of the cutting deck.  The exhaust can be clearly seen.  Track rod broken.

post-385-0-51152600-1436988887_thumb.jpg

That's an early Westwood chassis but using a Dynamark deck. The first Westwood tractors were in fact re- badged Dynamarks, then Westwood built their own chassis and finally their own decks ( welded pans rather than pressed).

Edited by Wristpin

Hi all, sorry for this super-late reply, things have been pretty busy lately :wacko:

Alan, nice Westwood! That looks like a fairly solid example overall. Do you have any plans for her? I like the exhaust design on these, pretty unique.

Wristpin, that's interesting, I wondered if the earliest rebadged Westwoods were in fact called Westerns? Or maybe this is something totally different. (This isn't mine, I just saw it on ebay and saved the pictures).

post-164-0-64852300-1439634448_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-08027200-1439634480_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-01711100-1439634505_thumb.jpg

Also I am hoping to paint the my early Westwood soon but I have a question- I seem to remember someone talking about a product here (some sort of oil that dries clear) that  keeps the original patina while killing and preventing rust at the same time. Does anyone know what it's called?

Edited by WestwoodGazelle

Alan, nice Westwood! That looks like a fairly solid example overall. Do you have any plans for her? I like the exhaust design on these, pretty unique.

It looks better in the photo's than it is.  Could possibly be restored if someone was really keen, but probably more suitable for spares. Engine seized etc.

No plans for it other than disposal.  This is one of four various Westwoods in John's collection, all in rough condition. I have more photo's if you are interested.

It looks better in the photo's than it is.  Could possibly be restored if someone was really keen, but probably more suitable for spares. Engine seized etc.

No plans for it other than disposal.  This is one of four various Westwoods in John's collection, all in rough condition. I have more photo's if you are interested.

OK, I'd restore it of I could but for me that isn't an option since I already have 2 Westwoods and the powers that be (parents) say I can't have any more tractors unless I sell one of mine. :o  :lol:  However if it is being broken for spares I'd be interested in some of the hard-to-find bits like the white plastic front grille, various knobs, and the leather gearstick surround.

Wristpin, thanks for the info, after some research I found out it's actually this product: http://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/owatrol-oil/

Apparently you can paint over it too, so although I don't plan on doing that since I like the look of my old Westwood in it's "rustic" current condition, it's nice to know I could paint it one day if I ever wanted to.

Thanks TFP! Looks like it did a good job on your Clifford! That's the sort of finish I'd like on the Westwood. It's interesting you say a little goes a long way, I just need to decide if I should go for 1 or 2 litres...