WestwoodGazelle

One of the first Westwood Gazelles

Hi all, sorry for the inactivity, been busy and not had so much workshop time, but I have been slowly but surely working in the Westwood.

I sent the carb to be cleaned by a friend of mine, that should be back soon and hopefully the Westwood will be usuable :)

For now I painted the whole chassis and bodywork with Owatrol oil, the only bits I left untouched were some corners underneath that were hard to reach coated in oily grass anyway :lol:

post-164-0-01351300-1446916164_thumb.jpg

I also straightened out the steering wheel, rustproofed and painted it, and some other little ajustments here and there. And yes, I managed to spill Owatrol oil over one of the rear tyres :rolleyes:

post-164-0-07999800-1446916188_thumb.jpg

I'll look forward to being able to use it for gentle garden work this spring.

Love these little Westwoods, used to spend hours driving round in circles at my grandfathers place 10 odd years ago! not sure what model it was, it had the gear stick up by the steering wheel and a spare fuel can in between your legs!

I also like that Owatrol oil, I've never seen what it brings the machines up like but I have now, that's on the want list :lol:

Love these little Westwoods, used to spend hours driving round in circles at my grandfathers place 10 odd years ago! not sure what model it was, it had the gear stick up by the steering wheel and a spare fuel can in between your legs!

I also like that Owatrol oil, I've never seen what it brings the machines up like but I have now, that's on the want list :lol:

Great! :)  There's quite a few Westwoods that could be, possibly a T series or Gazelle. Pretty much all the older Westwood tractor models were based around the same chassis, with different bodywork and engines.They're a ton of fun to drive, always puts a smile on my face.

Yes, I love the look of the patina, but at the same time don't want the machine rusting away, so Owatrol is a really good solution ;)

I had one of those. Unfortunately it had been used for some time with the rear axle bearings gone. So much so that the casings were so worn as to be oval. The rest of it was pretty rough as well. The front axle is now on my dolly and engine and some other bits and pieces in store. The rest went for scrap.

I might treat my horse to some Owatrol! I see you have done the feet plates / foot rests? does that not make it slippery to get on and off? :lol:

Luckily no :lol: It dries more or less solid. Really easy stuff to use ;)

I had one of those. Unfortunately it had been used for some time with the rear axle bearings gone. So much so that the casings were so worn as to be oval. The rest of it was pretty rough as well. The front axle is now on my dolly and engine and some other bits and pieces in store. The rest went for scrap.

At least parts of it live on I suppose, we used some Westwood wheels I was given for my little Saxon tipper trailer.

Hi all! The Westwood is finally going! :)

Gazelle Forum.png

Gazelle Forum 2.png

Though the breaks are not working yet, I can fix these easily enough. One issue I have is I think the carb has seen better days, probably needs a new set of parts or replacing. It has been cleaned out thoroughly by my friend who restores classic cars, and the engine runs but it has a sweet spot at fairly high revs, and doesn't run well at all above or below. Also under load it splutters sometimes. But still, I am happy it runs and I will look forward to using it more :)

19 minutes ago, WestwoodGazelle said:

Hi all! The Westwood is finally going! :)

Gazelle Forum.png

Gazelle Forum 2.png

Though the breaks are not working yet, I can fix these easily enough. One issue I have is I think the carb has seen better days, probably needs a new set of parts or replacing. It has been cleaned out thoroughly by my friend who restores classic cars, and the engine runs but it has a sweet spot at fairly high revs, and doesn't run well at all above or below. Also under load it splutters sometimes. But still, I am happy it runs and I will look forward to using it more :)

Probably a stupid question but have you reground the valves, particularly the exhaust? The symptoms you list would make me think it's this rather than the carb.

1 minute ago, S1g said:

Probably a stupid question but have you reground the valves, particularly the exhaust? The symptoms you list would make me think it's this rather than the carb.

I have not done that yet... Might be worth a try. I am still learning when it comes to engine work so I am open to any suggestions :)

1 hour ago, Stormin said:

It's also possible the timing may be out. The key in the flywheel may be worn allowing the flywheel to slip. This happened on a B&S engine I had.

Hmm sounds like there's a few things it could be, I'm beginning to wonder if it would be easier just to drop in a replacement engine... :lol:

7 minutes ago, WestwoodGazelle said:

Hmm sounds like there's a few things it could be, I'm beginning to wonder if it would be easier just to drop in a replacement engine... :lol:

The valves are very easy to do, there's guides on google and YouTube, I'd definatley do it as the next job. To be honest it's the first job I do on any small engine, cures about 90% of problems particularly ones that look like fuel as if the valves are pitted the engine can't suck the petrol in properly.

6 minutes ago, S1g said:

The valves are very easy to do, there's guides on google and YouTube, I'd definatley do it as the next job. To be honest it's the first job I do on any small engine, cures about 90% of problems particularly ones that look like fuel as if the valves are pitted the engine can't suck the petrol in properly.

OK, I'll have to give that a try, I'll have a look on Google for instructions :)

38 minutes ago, madmatt01 said:

Rubbish photo alert! 

I'm useless with models.... what models are these two? 

The 11hp has the lights on the front. 

8hp just the grill front 

2016-06-19 14.16.49.png

2016-06-19 14.16.28.png

Nice! The 11hp looks like a mid-1980s Westwood Gazelle W11, and the 8hp looks like a 1980's "baby" Westwood Gazelle.

On 06/08/2017 at 10:03 AM, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Hi, I am really in to these Westwood Gazelle white grills, I have a Westwood W8 1978 Gazelle and I have never seen this early model of Gazelle!? Would love to see and read more about it. Thanks.

Hi there, good to see another fan of these tractors. I think they have a really nice look to them, and they are very sturdy and easy to work on. I would love to see pictures of your W8! :)

Here is a video of mine in action: 

Hi, yeah, i will be sure to show you some pictures of my W8 Westwood Gazelle and perhaps a video of it running if you would like. I am currently going away for a couple of days but will try to remember to send the pictures when i return. My Gazelle is a 1978 model W8 and was manufactured at Bell Close, Plympton, Plymouth. It has the column gear change 1-5 inc reverse. 8hp Briggs engine which has been on the mower all of its life! White grill 'pale face.' Done some work to it when purchased last year on Ebay. I have changed air filter for the first time in 39 long years! I have also changed the oil and fitted new points and condenser as after a few minutes of running the mower it used to cut out completely!! Now starts on key. Engine runs great. I also done a little restoration on deck but i think i went a little over board with what i had done. Sadly the clutch pulley has given up all life and had fallen off the mower so i lost control over the clutch!! Happened two weeks back when cutting. I have ordered a new drive belt and have also tried to order two new pulleys. Pulleys arrived a couple of days ago with belt, but was not convinced that they were the right ones so sent them back. Kept the belt. Thats the life story so far. Ha ha. Gazelle has now lost the use of her legs for now!! She will soon be fixed once i find parts. Thanks for reading. :) 

Edited by WestwoodW8Gazelle

I have ordered a new drive belt and have also tried to order two new pulleys. Pulleys arrived a couple of days ago with belt, but was not convinced that they were the right ones so sent them back.

I hope that you get sorted out . I had a vague recollection of pulley issues with Westwoods of that era and modified pulleys being introduced. If pushed I'd say that they were deeper metal ones . I've had a look at our old stock file and there are two part numbers for "Pulley mod kits" part numbers 3230 and 5823 but no indication of what or why.

Ok, thanks for the part numbers as this will be a great help, i have also printed off a Westwood W series manual. If you want to print it off go to the official Westwood site and go to the help page and it should be under user manuals. Thanks for the reply, and hopefully i can get the Gazelle jumping for joy again!! Ha ha. 

On 22/08/2017 at 8:59 PM, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Hi, yeah, i will be sure to show you some pictures of my W8 Westwood Gazelle and perhaps a video of it running if you would like. I am currently going away for a couple of days but will try to remember to send the pictures when i return. My Gazelle is a 1978 model W8 and was manufactured at Bell Close, Plympton, Plymouth. It has the column gear change 1-5 inc reverse. 8hp Briggs engine which has been on the mower all of its life! White grill 'pale face.' Done some work to it when purchased last year on Ebay. I have changed air filter for the first time in 39 long years! I have also changed the oil and fitted new points and condenser as after a few minutes of running the mower it used to cut out completely!! Now starts on key. Engine runs great. I also done a little restoration on deck but i think i went a little over board with what i had done. Sadly the clutch pulley has given up all life and had fallen off the mower so i lost control over the clutch!! Happened two weeks back when cutting. I have ordered a new drive belt and have also tried to order two new pulleys. Pulleys arrived a couple of days ago with belt, but was not convinced that they were the right ones so sent them back. Kept the belt. Thats the life story so far. Ha ha. Gazelle has now lost the use of her legs for now!! She will soon be fixed once i find parts. Thanks for reading. :) 

A video would be great to see if you can get one :) Do you know what your serial number is? Mine is 252707 1062 01 78061411, you can work out the date from the last part- 78061411. 78(year)06(month)14(date)11(horsepower, I believe?). So mine is stamped from 14th June 1978. 

Sounds like you did a good job on the engine! Mine starts on the key too, although I fitted a separate choke. Hope all goes well sorting out the pulley.