WestwoodGazelle

One of the first Westwood Gazelles

Hi, ok I will have a look at the last numbers and will let you know. I never would of worked that out! Thanks. I am currently away at the minute so won't be able to have a look until Monday next week. It will be interesting to know what mine is. :) This is the only picture of my Westwood that I have at the minute, but i will post a video if it running as well as other photos if you would like. In this pic you will probably notice the seat has no edging, this is because when I took the photo last year I was in the middle of fitting new seat and sorting rust problem under the cushioning. I was surprised at the rust being so much of it under the foam. Ha ha. Thanks.

IMG_20170409_143923.jpg

Edited by WestwoodW8Gazelle

Looking good! :) Your machine looks very tidy :thumbs: One thing I also enjoy about the early Westwoods is the ribbed front tyres, the look really good. And I will never say no to more pics or a video! 

My seat could certainly do with re-covering, in fact I am in the process of fixing the seat for my Wheelhorse (the seats are the exact same except the Wheelhorse one has a Wheelhorse logo). I also have a wiring issue, the ignition switch seems to be smoking, but only when I turn it off, and only when it has been used for a decent length of time :huh:

Edited by WestwoodGazelle

On 23/08/2017 at 9:33 PM, WestwoodGazelle said:

A video would be great to see if you can get one :) Do you know what your serial number is? Mine is 252707 1062 01 78061411, you can work out the date from the last part- 78061411. 78(year)06(month)14(date)11(horsepower, I believe?). So mine is stamped from 14th June 1978. 

Sounds like you did a good job on the engine! Mine starts on the key too, although I fitted a separate choke. Hope all goes well sorting out the pulley. 

Hi, my last  digits of my engine serial number is 790206. So my gazelle would be made on 6th February 1979 if that's correct. But then I thought my gazelle was a 1978 as on the badge with chassis no. it said W8 78. 

3 hours ago, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Hi, my last  digits of my engine serial number is 790206. So my gazelle would be made on 6th February 1979 if that's correct. But then I thought my gazelle was a 1978 as on the badge with chassis no. it said W8 78. 

What Stormin says is a possibility, also I wonder if Westwood might have had a stock of chassis to "use up" left over from 1978, given that your engine is from so early in 1979 I could imagine them fitting a new engine from a chassis from 1978 that might only be a few months old. So you may possibly have a Westwood from 1978 that was given an engine and sold in 1979?

12 hours ago, WestwoodGazelle said:

What Stormin says is a possibility, also I wonder if Westwood might have had a stock of chassis to "use up" left over from 1978, given that your engine is from so early in 1979 I could imagine them fitting a new engine from a chassis from 1978 that might only be a few months old. So you may possibly have a Westwood from 1978 that was given an engine and sold in 1979?

Oh ok that could be a possibility. I know my Westwood is one of the first model W8 to have the updated features from your early model as mine has column gear change and also the early feature of the under slung exhaust. As I think the gazelle 'pale face' model was still being manufactured until I think 1984. In fact my gazelle has no dash board lights! Compared to later models they do have lights next to steering wheel. It's difficult to map how Westwood have thought about what features for what models. Ha ha. 😂

I have finally fixed the wiring issue that was causing the Gazelle's ignition switch to smoke, and I have tidied up the wiring loom, I still have some work to do but it is Ok for now, and I need a replacement front headlight :lol:

DSC00517

Here is a picture for WestwoodW8Gazelle of the steering system that seems to be unique to the earliest Westwoods, here's what you see on the top of the chassis below the steering column:

DSC00520

And here is underneath, it is in need of a clean and grease: 

DSC00521

And here is the cover that goes over this gear and chain system, there's a couple of marks on it because unfortunately the nuts and bolts holding it on had rusted solid and rounded off, and I had no choice but to get the angle grinder out: 

DSC00523

Edited by WestwoodGazelle

The early Westwood’s were in fact rebadged US Dynamarks ( as were the first Atco tractors) . One of the distinguishing features was the rounded, pressed deck, whereas the first Westwood made decks were the angular, fabricated “threepenny “ bit ones. But , before that is used to date Westwood production , I’m reliably informed that early home  built Westwood tractors used the rounded Dynamark decks. 

1 hour ago, Wristpin said:

The early Westwood’s were in fact rebadged US Dynamarks ( as were the first Atco tractors) . One of the distinguishing features was the rounded, pressed deck, whereas the first Westwood made decks were the angular, fabricated “threepenny “ bit ones. But , before that is used to date Westwood production , I’m reliably informed that early home  built Westwood tractors used the rounded Dynamark decks. 

That is really interesting and I can see some striking similarities between US Dynamarks and Westwoods:

listing_pic_742575_1394395318.jpeg

I am sure you're right because their appearances too close to be a coincidence. The chassis and panels seem only very slightly different between Westwood and Dynamark. I would love to know what the closest equivalent Dynamark is (and it'd be cool to own one too :lol: ). I take it this is the Atco you mean: 

maxresdefault.jpg

Certainly similar to that Atco but without researching some catalogues and Parts lists I can’t remember the distinguishing features that separate the re- badged Dynamarks from the later UK made ones. 

4 minutes ago, Wristpin said:

Certainly similar to that Atco but without researching some catalogues and Parts lists I can’t rememer the distinguishing features that separate the re- badged Dynamarks from the later UK made ones. 

No problem, mine is from 1978, and as far as I know it was built in Plympton. I really would love to know more about the early history of these tractors, it sounds very interesting. I have also heard from someone who worked at Westwood that elements of the manufacturing process had to be done in accordance with Scientologist beliefs, since the head of Westwood, Gerry Hazelwood was a Scientologist and wanted to run the company as much as he could in accordance with his beliefs. I know Western lawn tractors were pretty much identical to Dynamarks also. 

21 minutes ago, Wristpin said:

You are correct that GH was a Scientologist  but I've never heard that it extended to the tin bashing side of things!

Yes, the guy who worked there said that GH would take on suggestions from workers but only if the lined up with his Scientologist beliefs, even if they were otherwise logical, very interesting.

Thanks for the pictures of the chain steering, look very complex!  It is interesting to know the history behind Westwood mowers. I am also in need of two headlights, but I have no idea where to find a pair. Will be looking in Ernest Doe. Will be getting some pulleys for next season, can't wait! 

14 hours ago, WestwoodW8Gazelle said:

Thanks for the pictures of the chain steering, look very complex!  It is interesting to know the history behind Westwood mowers. I am also in need of two headlights, but I have no idea where to find a pair. Will be looking in Ernest Doe. Will be getting some pulleys for next season, can't wait! 

I am looking at a pair of lights on the 'bay (new), if I decide they fit and are good, I will let you know. Not sure how old the pulley is on my Gazelle, I think I may look to get it replaced at some point, and I need to look at a way to fix the brake too because it isn't working. I will also be getting a new seat for it for my birthday :D

7 hours ago, WestwoodGazelle said:

I am looking at a pair of lights on the 'bay (new), if I decide they fit and are good, I will let you know. Not sure how old the pulley is on my Gazelle, I think I may look to get it replaced at some point, and I need to look at a way to fix the brake too because it isn't working. I will also be getting a new seat for it for my birthday :D

Ok, thank-you. That would be a great help. :) I am also looking for two new pulleys, so when I find some I will give you the website link.

Hi all, I thought you may want to see some pages from my Westwood Brochure, I haven't seen this one posted online before, and it's from the late 70's or early 80's.

There's a lot more, I have uploaded it to my Flickr account here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/153749022@N02:)

“This is really interesting, thanks for posting. I wonder what the difference is between the W8E and 11E from the normally W8 and 11 models?”

Electric start. Sometimes the e start machines would have a recoil unit as well but on later higher horsepower machines the recoil was absent to allow for ducted cooling.

I had a Westwood some years ago. Looking at the photo's I would guess also a Gazelle. B&S 11hp but no deck. I got it for the grandsons to ride when they visited. It was pretty rough but ran well. Eventually I decided to do it up a bit. Alas I found that both drive side bearings were gone. Literally! It had been run that long, previously to me obtaining it, that the drive shafts had worn the casings that much as to be beyond repair. So it went for scrap except for the engine. Recently sold. 

So keep a check on those bearings.