Alan

2nd BOLENS ROTOVATOR

I have the manual for these, and I will tell you the bronze gear that slides over the axle is prone to wearing out, when you can find the bronze gear (32T) they are about 120.00. Fortunately there aren't alot of expensive parts in these old style round backs, but with bigger late model tube frames you might want to get a flat back model rotovator

That is what we call the "Round Back" tiller.  This one has the optional extension on it

The round backs are a light/medium duty tiller and meant to till ground that has been previously worked.

They can till virgin ground, but you don't want to till a large plot, or do it on a regular basis.

There is an inspection/cover plate on the bottom of these round back tillers. I suggest you remove this plate and check for bronze filings and/or metal chunks or pieces. These tillers can run even after considerable damage, but the damage will show up in the bottom of the case. When you remove the inspection plate the bronze 32 tooth bronze gear (part 48 on the diagram) will be able to be inspected for wear. At this time the bearing, cup, and seal should be replaced on the front and rear to prevent further wear or damage. Other than the bronze gear the rest are fairly common parts and can be cross referenced by many bearing suppliers with the bearing itself or its dimensions, that will save money from paying epay scalpers.

post-384-0-52426000-1431262288_thumb.png