pjtinkerer

vivian loyd motor sickle

hi all

just been given a Vivian loyd motor sickle, with a Villiers midget engine and saw one on this site. now I cant find it. just wondered if anyone knows where to find points and possibly coil. also how to get the coil ring off without breaking something doing it. Cheers. Paul.

Hi Paul, I can help with the Mk3 Engine info, as I've just rebuilt a 50s Villers 98cc Mk4 for my ATCO Mower.

But I can't help with the machine.

Suspect you first need the Engine instruction/Parts Manual-

post-94-0-76569600-1431461842_thumb.gif

if this is what you need, I'll upload a copy to the Manuals section on here so you can download a copy. 

As for parts, there are several sources which I can PM you a list. 

Beware of any Villiers HT Coils for sale that are original Unused old stock, you need the modern alternative.

Depending on which version you have will determine how much they cost ( I just happened to need the most expensive one).

New engine parts are not cheap, but personally I really think these little engines are great and worth the outlay.

If you plan to do a full proper restore or just get it running, would be good to see your progress on here.

Regards     

Hi Anglo traction

Never been on one of these forums before so please excuse any mistakes with protocol. Thanks for the manual it just popped up on my tablet. I really meant to just get the sickle going but after I took the engine and off I thought I just as well do it right. Here's a couple of picks if anyone's interested. Its nice to talk to people with the same interest. Cheers. Paul.

post-473-0-43052400-1431590221_thumb.jpg

post-473-0-89180200-1431590828_thumb.jpg

Edited by pjtinkerer

Hi Anglo traction

Never been on one of these forums before so please excuse any mistakes with protocol. Thanks for the manual it just popped up on my tablet. I really meant to just get the sickle going but after I took the engine and off I thought I just as well do it right. Here's a couple of picks if anyone's interested. Its nice to talk to people with the same interest. Cheers. Paul.

No Problem Paul. I've uploaded the Villiers Manual and parts list in Pdf form on here for you to download a copy, click on either Downloads in the header line, or look down the right hand side of the main screen here for Latest Files and click on it.

Good pile of parts there for a Summer Project. Engine parts condition look pretty clean on the exterior. Look's like you have the expensive HT Coil (M1634). Some people have obtained the smaller HT Coil Asian Import and modified it to fit if you want to go that way. Just google Villiers Midget Ht Coil and you'll find a large amount of info on them and other rebuild hints and tips.

Would like to see your progress on this. Pictures always welcome. here's a few links to parts retailers-

www.Villiersparts.co.uk   www.Villiersspares.co.uk  www.meetens.co.uk . There are several more.

Regards Richard.     

Certainly look's a good project. Love to do one of those, especially to get a chance to do a total rebuild on the wheels. 

Lets hope the summer is good to you, what with your 'Alfresco Workshop' !! :)  .  

Hi all

Well got new tyres and inner tubes fitted. All greased up and painted. Just waiting for new points. Can't seem to find the right coil. I've been looking at seagull enginesnd they seem to be the same, my son says I can't pinch the one from his but he's not here all the time. Has anyone got a decent picture of the midget air filter and choke that they could post. Mine hasn't got one so I be sure of getting the right one.

post-473-0-96665600-1432718298_thumb.jpg

Can't seem to find the right coil. I've been looking at seagull engines and they seem to be the same.

Has anyone got a decent picture of the midget air filter and choke that they could post. Mine hasn't got one so I be sure of getting the right one.

You need to either inspect the Coil to see if it has the part number printed on it, or check the dimensions. You then compare it to the versions offered on one of the Parts Website links I gave you. I reckon it could be the M1634E size as stated at the bottom of the page on this link-

http://www.villiersparts.co.uk/ignition.html

As for your Carb, it should be a Villiers Junior Model.

Underneath the Knurled Screw-on Cable/Slide Cap of the Carb, you should see V508C/1 'raised cast' on the body.

This is a standard type for this size Villiers and a version of it is also used on Seagull Outboards. An example is in this pic-

post-94-0-13475900-1433063356_thumb.jpg

The one on the left is the type you (should) have. The Air Filter is just a screw-on Bell Mouth unit with a Mesh Screen.

(This Carb will be stripped/refurbished when I get the time). 

The other is the Seagull Outboard version from a 40+. Doesn't have a screen as there is not much dust and chaff on water!.

Don't be tempted to swap Needle Valves from various Carb types as they are not the same. 

So your Carb internal parts are all displayed and listed on Page 9 of the Villiers Manual I placed in the Downloads section for you.

You can then order by Part Number if required to replace parts.

Regards