Stormin

Hallo Dolly.

When at Newby Hall last year, we were camped about 1/4 mile from where our exhibits where. Having three and only being able to drive one at a time, walking back and forth got to be a bit of a bind.  So for this year something had to be done to save the poor old legs. They're not as young as they used to be. It's the rigor mortis setting in early.   :(

So this morning I had a scrat about. One Westwood front axle and wheels, some 2" box section, surplus ladder racks and the result you can see below.  

post-111-0-75572300-1432319885_thumb.jpg

Still ramps to make yet.

Small ratchet straps will sort that out Chris

They will indeed, Chris.

thought you would need a turn table

Didn't have one lying around, Chris. But it could happen. After all, it is the MK1 model. ;)

A simple A frame attached to the tac-o-matic thing may do the job as the steering wheels tend to stay in line. You could always stick a bungee on the steering wheel to hold it roughly central. You could then knock up two and tow two in line with the third tractor.

I have pulled a car over rough ground with one of my tractors and the tractor just pulled it back in line when the car decided to steer in the opposite direction.

iain

A neat and handy build Norm, extra bonus points for using odd's and sods you had kicking around :thumbs:

That Cadet wrecker is a real nice machine, I'd happily give it a home :D

Had a bit of a play with Dolly today. Made some ramps out of a plank and loaded up. Even with straps on, the front wheels did start to kick out, as Chris mentioned. So a rethink in order. I'll put it on backwards.

Slight problem with that. My plank ramps rested on Dollies wheels, with a block underneath to stop them being pushed forward. Worked fine going up forward, but the C-81s rear ag' tyres could not get grip. So some cross pieces added. Also chains added, that looped round Dollies wheels, to stop the ramps being pulled off.

That done and loaded up without any problem. Ratchet straps secured tractor wheels to Dolly hitched behind the C-121 and time for a test. Ahh! But! I'd done all this halfway into the workshop. Time to try reversing and turning round in the yard. Here the problem was the front wheels of the towed tractor. They had a mind of  their own. So a simple technique was devised. Low box and low revs enabled me to dismount and turn each steering wheel as required.

Once turned round and out onto the lane. Test was successful I'm pleased to say. The towed tractors wheels, after completing a turn, do take a while to fully come back in line. But this doesn't cause a problem.

I did think of that Mark, but I'd nothing to make a turn table type thing out of. Also I wanted to keep it as compact as possible. As it is, it will go upside down under the tractors on the trailer. Or even in the back of the Disco'.