sten

Any diesel experts on here

Not really an old machine, from the 90's I think, but still perhaps of interest on here. I have a Ruggerini M150 twin cylinder diesel genset/welder with a problem, it white smokes very badly on one cylinder, I have swapped over injectors, pumps, cylinder heads, cylinders and pistons and it still smokes on the same cylinder each time, if I slacken each injector pipe off, the revs drop a bit, the same on each cylinder and still it smokes on the same cylinder, any ideas anyone please?

White smoke is caused by raw, unburnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream or water burning in the combustion. Common causes include 1) Blown head gasket allowing water to enter the combustion area. This will usually smell slightly sweet. 2) Defective fuel injectors. 3) Low cylinder compression, low cylinder compression may be caused by leaking valves, sticking piston rings, ring wear, cylinder wear, or cylinder glaze. 4) When white smoke occurs at cold start and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.
5) Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. 6) Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry. 

Small diesel engine basics.

is one cylinder getting more cooling?

It is air cooled so I suppose the cylinder nearest the fan gets more cooling but it smokes when cold and hot, under load and at tick over.

White smoke is caused by raw, unburnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream or water burning in the combustion. Common causes include 1) Blown head gasket allowing water to enter the combustion area. This will usually smell slightly sweet. 2) Defective fuel injectors. 3) Low cylinder compression, low cylinder compression may be caused by leaking valves, sticking piston rings, ring wear, cylinder wear, or cylinder glaze. 4) When white smoke occurs at cold start and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing.

5) Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. 6) Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry. 

Small diesel engine basics.

The engine is air cooled, there is no water in the diesel or in the sump, and swapping over all the parts should alleviate the compression and injector, injector pump causes, I am not an expert but I think I have covered all the possible problems. There are 2 separate cylinders or barrels which are identical.

You seem to have tried everything. What condition is the fuel supply pipe like to that side injector? Is it kinked or partly blocked?

The fuel supply comes from the other injector pump, ie it is teed off, I did think whether the lift pump was supplying enough pressure but if I slacken the injector pipe off on the 1st cylinder the engine still runs on the white smoke cylinder, still making loads of smoke

Well if you don't have air in your fuel lines or a clogged fuel tank breather hole then i would say that the problem is going to be internal. You may be looking at worn or jammed piston rings, worn or scored cylinders, or worn valve guides. I'm afraid if you have eliminated everything else this is where the problem points.

Well if you don't have air in your fuel lines or a clogged fuel tank breather hole then i would say that the problem is going to be internal. You may be looking at worn or jammed piston rings, worn or scored cylinders, or worn valve guides. I'm afraid if you have eliminated everything else this is where the problem points.

No air, no blocked breather, nothing internal as I have swapped over the pistons, cylinders and heads but everything looked ok anyway, I swapped over the fuel feed today so the smoky cylinder side gets the fuel 1st but still the same, only thing I can think of next is the lobes on the cam for the injector, cant see it being that but what else to check.

No air, no blocked breather, nothing internal as I have swapped over the pistons, cylinders and heads but everything looked ok anyway, I swapped over the fuel feed today so the smoky cylinder side gets the fuel 1st but still the same, only thing I can think of next is the lobes on the cam for the injector, cant see it being that but what else to check.

Well you have quite the mystery going on. I commend you on your thoroughness in eliminating possible issues or problems. Now I hope you find the problem and tell us, because other than gremlins, I'm not sure what the problem could be. I had a big tractor that was air cooled, a Belarus, that had a weak injector pump and it started to blow smoke, but I replaced the injector pump because it wasn't moving fuel properly and that fixed the problem. Delayed injection could cause the white smoke and that might, like you said, point toward worn camshaft lobes

Well you have quite the mystery going on. I commend you on your thoroughness in eliminating possible issues or problems. Now I hope you find the problem and tell us, because other than gremlins, I'm not sure what the problem could be. I had a big tractor that was air cooled, a Belarus, that had a weak injector pump and it started to blow smoke, but I replaced the injector pump because it wasn't moving fuel properly and that fixed the problem. Delayed injection could cause the white smoke and that might, like you said, point toward worn camshaft lobes

you had an MTZ? cool :)  always liked them, nice and simple sovjet engineering

Another problem now, to get the camshaft out you have to take the oil pump off the far end and to take the oil pump cover off the generator has to be split from the engine, I presume it will be a taper fit but I cant see any way of getting a puller on, has anyone any idea how they can be split? 

Another problem now, to get the camshaft out you have to take the oil pump off the far end and to take the oil pump cover off the generator has to be split from the engine, I presume it will be a taper fit but I cant see any way of getting a puller on, has anyone any idea how they can be split? 

Hi, Rather than strip the thing right down, is it possible to set up a dial gauge to read the lift from the cam lobes and compare them either with a spec sheet or each other? looking at the manual via the link from Koen, could the spacer between the tappet and pump be missing on this cylinder, page 36,drawing 80, item C ?

Doug.

Hi, Rather than strip the thing right down, is it possible to set up a dial gauge to read the lift from the cam lobes and compare them either with a spec sheet or each other? looking at the manual via the link from Koen, could the spacer between the tappet and pump be missing on this cylinder, page 36,drawing 80, item C ?

Doug.

I thought you had it for a bit Doug, took the bad side pump off and no spacer "page 36,drawing 80, item C" so took the good side pump off and also no spacer, the lobes on the cam shaft are good and lifting the pump tappets the same amount. I cant see any possible way now why its smoking, its just lucky that as its a twin with the same components for each so I could swap them about or I could have bought things I didn't need but its still not fixed :( Thanks for your help and Its back to the shed for this one for a bit, given up with it.

I thought you had it for a bit Doug, took the bad side pump off and no spacer "page 36,drawing 80, item C" so took the good side pump off and also no spacer, the lobes on the cam shaft are good and lifting the pump tappets the same amount. I cant see any possible way now why its smoking, its just lucky that as its a twin with the same components for each so I could swap them about or I could have bought things I didn't need but its still not fixed :( Thanks for your help and Its back to the shed for this one for a bit, given up with it.

If the spacers are not there, and should be, perhaps this could be delaying commencement of injection on both cylinders but due to manufacturing tolerances on the crankcase,camshaft, (unlikely but ?) maybe the cylinder that smokes could be further retarded than the "good" one. It always used to be a compromise on the 'proper' motorbikes with a magneto, to set the timing; one cylinder would be spot on, the other slightly out  you never know. I assume valve timing s ok, not maybe a tooth out ?

Valve timing was right, the " book " does refer to Bosch and traditional pumps so whether the traditional doesn't have spacers I'm not sure, the book is good in places but a bit vague in others, mine aren't Bosch they are Standyne. I may try a thin washer between the pump and tappet to see if it improves things, but I will turn it over by hand 1st to make sure the extra lift isn't to much lift.

The fuel supply comes from the other injector pump, ie it is teed off, I did think whether the lift pump was supplying enough pressure but if I slacken the injector pipe off on the 1st cylinder the engine still runs on the white smoke cylinder, still making loads of smoke

If there is a problem with fuel supply then I suppose it's possible that which ever way round you have the components the first one in line could take what it needed and drop the pressure/flow enough to cause a problem, it shouldn't, bearing in mind it doesn't inject  both at the same time.also 'cracking' number 1 injector would not allow any more fuel to number 2. Could you swop the pipes round to feed number 2 first and see if the symptoms transfer to the 'new' second in line

It'll turn out to be something simple in the end :fingerscrossed: .what about a temporary electric fuel pump to boost pressure? How are the two pumps synchronized for fuel delivery? has someone had it apart before ? could the delivery be less on the second cylinder? Does it run faster when on one cylinder than the other at the same setting?

Soon be time for more asprins :confused:

ps

I assume the cam lobes for the valves checked out ok

It'll turn out to be something simple in the end :fingerscrossed: .what about a temporary electric fuel pump to boost pressure? How are the two pumps synchronized for fuel delivery? has someone had it apart before ? could the delivery be less on the second cylinder? Does it run faster when on one cylinder than the other at the same setting?

Soon be time for more asprins :confused:

ps

I assume the cam lobes for the valves checked out ok

Yes will probably be something simple just hard to find. I think the fuel pressure is ok, there is plenty of fuel returning back to the tank from the ( not sure what there called ) overspill hoses, I don't think it can be less delivery on the 2nd cylinder as swapping the feed from going to the 1st pump to going to the 2nd pump 1st and also swapping the pumps over would have swapped the problem to the 1st cylinder ( not very well explained I know ) I am going to try and make a new injector pipe so I can feed no2 cylinder from no1 pump just to see if I can make the smoke stop on no2.