Triumph66

And Now For Something Totally Difference!

Here ya go Andrew. This is a link to Josh Green's Photobucket album where he is restoring his Montgomery Wards Garden Mark Squire 10, a right good name for a good machine. 

http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/talntedmrgreen/media/Squire%20Restoration%202012/20120923_135453_zps6dd20db3.jpg.html

Does this mean it's designed as a girl's tractor :poke:  :)  :)

Actually Iain you are on the right track. By 1965 tractors started to become more sophisticated and user friendly, gone was the primitive behemoth that took hours to change attachments or required constant tinkering. These newer and easier to operate machines were being designed for the wife. You see, here in America at that time most women stayed home, took care of the kids, the laundry, the cooking and cleaning, so it was only obvious that with an hours free time a week left over they could also mow the lawn and thus saving the weekend for dear old dad to relax and enjoys his pipe and pint.

Actually Iain you are on the right track. By 1965 tractors started to become more sophisticated and user friendly, gone was the primitive behemoth that took hours to change attachments or required constant tinkering. These newer and easier to operate machines were being designed for the wife. You see, here in America at that time most women stayed home, took care of the kids, the laundry, the cooking and cleaning, so it was only obvious that with an hours free time a week left over they could also mow the lawn and thus saving the weekend for dear old dad to relax and enjoys his pipe and pint.

That last sentence is the only reason why I bought the Monty so my dear wife can help me out in the garden whilst I have a few glasses of wine and look at other suitable tractors........in any case garden tractors are like shoes; you need different shoes for different occasions.....

That last sentence is the only reason why I bought the Monty so my dear wife can help me out in the garden whilst I have a few glasses of wine and look at other suitable tractors........in any case garden tractors are like shoes; you need different shoes for different occasions.....

"you need different shoes for different occasions....." I told my wife that and she said I was a shoe whore.

Andrew had PM'd me and in the course of conversation Andrew brought up that Bolens may have built Montgomery Wards tractors as well and they did, both early walk behinds and 4 wheel Ride-A-Matics and the Montgomery Wards Squire 6, 725

The first fully engineered with the engine and steering axle in the front 4 wheel Garden Tractor that Montgomery Wards offered was the 7 horsepower “Squire 7", introduced in 1959 and stayed the same for 1960-61, it was basically the same as the 1959-1961 Ride-A-Matics. In 1962 a more powerful engine was installed and it became the 7.25 horsepower “Squire 7 ¼â€.
In 1963 things changed for Montgomery Wards in their Lawn and Garden tractor lineup. M/W offered a Simplicity built Garden Tractor, called the 7 ¼hp “Squire 725â€, same name as the Bolens tractor. This would be the last year for the Simplicity 700 Series based tractor. Wards also offered a Bolens built “Squire 6â€, based on the Bolens 600 with a different Cast Iron Grill, hood and Steering Tower. Bolens also provided M/W with several of the attachments for the “Squire 6†that they built.