expeatfarmer

Ransomes Turf Trac /Steiner

Finally managed to find a Turf Trac, typically I have been looking for a couple of years finally bought one from way down south only to find another for sale on Gumtree at Annan 30 miles away ( lot more money ). This one is fitted with a 4ft front mounted cutting deck. The reason I wanted one was that trying to move a dead crawler from one garage to the workshop was just too much for my ride on mower and using a live crawler just chews up the drive and the garage floor. 16.5hp Kubota three cylinder engine starts and runs well. Hydraulic lift front and rear , front and rear pto. four wheel hydrostatic drive with twin ratio axles 11 miles an hour top speed. Pulls like a train and turns in a 36inch inner circle.

Needs a new seat  some decals and a general tidy up. Typical it rained persistently after delpost-292-0-44871000-1432906366_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-58809000-1432906390_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-27281000-1432906410_thumb.jpgivery so limited playing time.

These are very good machines. I used one when I worked for the National Trust. The finishing was excellent but mind you we had good quality turf to cut. Good to find one in that condition.

A few weeks before Christmas my front end loader arrived from Ohio apart from unloading it off the wagon I have not even taken off the stretch wrap until today when I needed to move it to get to the skimmer. Turns out the machine has never been used from new although it must be ten years old at least, not a scratch inside the bucket. Decided that the easiest way to move it was to fit it . It comes with a built in oil tank pump and filter driven by a vee belt off the front electric clutch pulley. I will post some photos on Saturday.

Did not go quite to plan today thought I would finish fitting Steiner loader so that I could use it to move stuff around. Managed to get it all lined up and slotted on to the front mounts only to find that the back mounts were an inch short of the fixing point, tried all sorts with ratchet straps and jacks to get it to slide back but it seems that the front mounting slides are an inch longer on my tractor than they are on later models I will have to contact Steiner and find out what is wrong before I make any modifications. Gave up and removed the loader during which I managed to gouge a hole in the hydraulic filter casing and burst a main pump pipe which will be a real pig to change. Left it all in a big heap and got on with other jobs.

post-292-0-25496600-1453571644_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-70037000-1453571667_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-68408100-1453571708_thumb.jpg

Used to drive one of these branded as a Ransome's on a golf course, had a front mounted rotary broom for sweeping buggy tracks, a ball harvester, and a blade for pushing up sand traps.great machines grip like oxen ;)

All back together again thanks to Stormin, even have the new seat fitted so no wet bottom any more! Not tried again with fitting the loader, factory tell me to bodge up the rear mounts with angle iron but that also means re making the clamps and moving the pump back so will modify front pick up mounts instead so that it all fits properly.

We just need to find where to top up the hydraulic fluid. Can't find a tank or the dipsticks that are supposed to be in the diffs. You can't get to the front diff. There is a level/filler plug in the rear diff. That shows level ok and we towed the sand skimmer with it ok.

Finally got back to the loader, the delay turned out to be a good thing because after a lot of thunking I decide that all I needed to do to make it fit properly was to drill two new holes in the 3/8" plate that the rear mount rod goes through, 30mm holes so it took me a while last night but got there in the end. Fitted it up today and off we go all works a treat. Needs substantial ballast weight on the rear if I stand in the bucket the back wheels leave the ground ( yes I know I need to diet ). 

post-292-0-67241100-1458237545_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-64786700-1458237639_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-25332500-1458237687_thumb.jpgpost-292-0-77269100-1458237878_thumb.jpg

post-292-0-41447000-1458237804_thumb.jpg

Fitted dual wheels to the back to increase stability and a bit more weight. Just tested it with a bucketful of soil and it lifts well without tipping with me on the seat not sure what it would do if I got off though. I am waiting for a weight bar to come from Florida along with a bit that is missing from the front dual wheels. I have a 1cwt weight which I will hang off the back meantime.

£1500 including the shipping. Then cost me another £300 in storage fees at the dock because they messed around trying to get an invoice for something I bought off E Bay. I think it was a con as they originally wanted £600 and I told them to p off. The loader is brand new old stock. I think it was held in a warehouse because the two operating levers had broken off.