jparkes43

HELP! at the end of my sanity with this thing

Hello.

As some of you may know i am restoring my 1968 wheel horse lawn ranger and it has a 6hp tecky h60 in it.

now no matter what i try it will not run, well it ill sort of start and maybe run for a few seconds but will never stay running. i have tried adjusting the carb and using different amount of throttle and choke etc but still no luck. yes i have fresh fuel. any help is greatly appreciated. And it has a brand new spark plug, also it makes no difference if you are running and air filter or not, also after trying for a while it starts to pop and spit slightly out the carb is this something i should be worried of?

also as a long shot for you uk guys i don't mind if you are nearby want to come in a help out, or i don't mind going to your place if you aren't to far away to see if you can help maybe for a weekend like i don't mind traveling if you offer for help and i will bring it down.

thanks
​
james

Edited by jparkes43

I was in a similar place a while back, turned out my 'new' spark plug was duff, have you tried the old one? I had idle but wouldn't rev up, and after using a spark tester i watched the spark drop out as the revs increased.

mv1KYJPeFiKyMNL-7hVsObA.jpg

The spitting is the engine flooding and the fuel igniting in the chamber. 

hello, no i hadn't tried that but it does spark i know that and also its not it wont rev its just it wont even stay running even on idle.

james

Well James, H60 Techies and their Series 1 Lauson Carbs can be a challenge.

My only credentials with these was to revive one that was derelict for a good 25 years with a solid varnished up Carb, missing parts and no spark.

Got it running, but only after a top end and Valve refurb and new points/Condenser.

Have you been working on the engine at all, I.e. set the timing, stripped and cleaned the Carb?.

My initial suspicion is the Carb.

Have you referred to the Engine Manual for instructions on Carb servicing?. 

I would need your Engine Numbers to see what Carb you have and go from there if no one else local to you can help.

yes living up to the troublesome tecky name. 

i have done no work apart from fiddling with the carb and a new spark plug.

that was my idea aswel. no i did look in my manual but cant find much. i will let you know on my numbers as soon as i can. also i have set my carb to the settings i found on the internet but it still doesn't solve it. ok well where you are isn't to far away so its a possibility

thanks anyway 

james

Ok James, As you haven't been inside the Carb and it is a Series 1, then I suspect the Float and/or Valve is causing a flooding issue and the 'Blow Back' .

Idle and run issues are caused by dirt and clogged passages which cause problems adjusting settings. 

Overhaul kits for these include Welch plugs which have to be removed/replaced to access some passageways.

There is also a Metering Rod inside one of these which can get stuck with dirt.

Kits are still available and again, if it is a Series 1, then I have a NOS Boxed Brass Carb Float you can have.

In addition to the Engine numbers, if you can post a few pics of the Carb with the Filter removed, I may be able to confirm it easier.

Here's one of the Engine/Carb I had to deal with (although the linkage will be different) to possibly help with I.D. -

post-94-0-80062200-1433618196_thumb.jpg

thanks anglo great information. i will get back to you on that tomorrow. but i might look into those kits. also i might add it does have very very slight moisture around the bottom of the carb. but thanks on the float i may be interested.

thanks koen will do, the problem is i want to run the engine to adjust the carb right but cant even do that as it wont run 

james

Edited by jparkes43

You could try getting someone to try to start the engine while you give it a few squirts of carb cleaner or wd40 type spray.

if it fires and runs keep giving  short squirts, I find this works on engines that have stood for a while, if it runs when you do this it usually means the carb is the problem and is gummed up.

hello ranger that is what i did this morning and still didnt make any difference. oh ok so once it runs keep on putting it in i might do that tommorow. i will definitely try this and get back to you.

james

Hello James,

full throttle,no choke, if it runs for a couple of seconds keep giving it a short squirt,if the fuel is the problem the engine revs and dies and revs and dies as you give it the shots.  did this last weekend to get my mates J D 279 mower to run, it had the same symptoms.

Doug.

ok full throttle no choke (note taken) ok it did sort of rev and die and it was very few and far between. but yes ok keep going on the starter fluid

james

Hello, so today i took the carb off and took some good pictures for you guys, any advice on cleaning like what do i do etc

IMG_1358_zpssrsvromc.jpg

IMG_1359_zpspnurede9.jpg

IMG_1360_zpslazdci8v.jpg

IMG_1361_zpsguc0a63n.jpg

IMG_1362_zpsyhfpwuhi.jpg

IMG_1363_zpsbamxkji4.jpg

IMG_1364_zpss4ia6ohw.jpg

IMG_1365_zpsw8kjglsb.jpgimage is unclear but it reads 3589H2 i beleive

IMG_1366_zpsrb0jmzq6.jpg 40

james

hello 

i did decide to take apart the carb and clean it a bit and heres where i am at. but i still need further help

IMG_1367_zpskrjmwjtf.jpg

IMG_1368_zpsw6apt0lw.jpg

james

some people have said about blowing out the everything with an air compressor?

OK. i am literally done with this thing after a carb teardown, thorough clean and put back together and the settings all corrected i am still having no luck i am still at the same point as i was yesterday i tired a variation throttle/choke positions AND fuel mixtures. I am out of ideas. Please help   :(

james

hello, no i hadn't tried that but it does spark i know that and also its not it wont rev its just it wont even stay running even on idle.

james

I'd still try another new plug from a different source, a few years back I had a box of 10 new NGk bpr6es plugs, 8 out of the 10 turned out to be faulty, the thing was when tested outside the engine they would spark well yet under compression they would lose it.

It could still be the techy thought. I've got one on a howard 220 that I've been through from top to bottom, litrealy every last bolt, sometimes it will start first pull, other times you can pull it over for half an hour and it stays dead, I don't know why?

ok i will have a look. i got the choice of one out of Juliette or one out of a push mower there the only two plugs i got, which one do i try.

james

ok i will have a look. i got the choice of one out of Juliette or one out of a push mower there the only two plugs i got, which one do i try.

james

I don't know what is fitted to the ones you've got but short term see if either have a similar looking end that screws into the head. Make sure as well the valves have been reground particuarly the exhaust one as if pitted it will give fuel supply symptoms as the engine can't suck its fuel properly.

hello, ok tried all the plugs i own with no help. ok i haven't ever done valves before so this is new. so take thew cylinder head off? but valves is where i get a little scared.

james