the showman

Been out foraging again

I always fit my own tractor tyres, i have a tyre machine in my workshop and worked in tyre shop.

The small ones are easy to do with levers and don't take long and as the usage is mainly on grass at the most at 7 or 8 mph they don't need balancing.

As I'm really old , good used ones will see me out

I think I have a fetish for rubber, that's the only way I can explain it. I wait for the UPS or FEDEX guy for hours when I know I'm getting new tires. It's a co-morbidity attribute of the tractor collecting hobby sickness. I'm sure its in the DSM-V.

Not really foraging, but, went to the machinery sale Monday, saw this lot which didn't make the reserve, I bought it afterwards for the reserve + vat, total £1.20p

five boxes of harrow points, Don't know what I'll do with them though.post-206-0-56624600-1437158594_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-06119300-1437158622_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-12286000-1437158649_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-27551800-1437158678_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-42864300-1437158707_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-08030800-1437158738_thumb.jpg

Got harrows coming out of my ears Norm, I bought a brand new set of three a year or so ago for , I think  £80.00p. I may use the large 'duck foot' tines to build a small cultivator though. I would like to have a go at building a 'Wheelhorse' size version of the  'Vicon'  style reciprocating power harrow with it's own engine. at least I've now got enough spikes to do it.  :)  :)  :) 

p.s.  The thing that spoilt the day was, I couldn't claim the 20p VAT back ! :P

That is a NICE haul of Harrow spikes!!!! Your lucky the authorities weren't close by as there maybe a law against getting that kind of deal.  :lol:

More likely  I would have been arrested and the spikes confiscated as offensive weapons! :P

Oh that's a bugger, I have a zig-zag harrow with the square pins with thread on that are badly worn, ive welded them up now :( 

When you've worn yours out Chris, give me a call, I'm sure I wont have used all of these up by then :D :D

I made it to fit in the slot hitch so I could lift it clear of the ground for traveling, when you say pivot do you mean up and down ?

no I meant does it move side to side. I know some aerators were worn prematurely by the inability to pivot, not that would happen on your tines, just wondering

no I meant does it move side to side. I know some aerators were worn prematurely by the inability to pivot, not that would happen on your tines, just wondering

Ah I understand now, i can make it pivot with an adapter not a problem, hav'nt used one before so always pleased to listen to advice

I was thinking that if the bolt and nut were not real tight it would have some give in turns. Not to pivot in a arc really, just enough to make less impact in turns