the showman

Been out foraging again

Took the misses out today for a forage looking for goodies, it turned into an all day thing but at least she saw what got put into van, i think she enjoyed the day so here's a couple of photos

Had some time in the red shed today, the tractor and the chassis / panels both check out as 1974 Commando 800s, i stripped the frame and put the parts into stock put a battery on the tractor and had a spark so i put some fresh fuel in and away she went, drove it out of the van and up the drive. It has no reverse gear so I'll change tranny tomorrow with the one I broke up last week.

Result

Had another day foraging about in barns today, and all the towing was done by Johns favourite Wheelhorse which i took back up with me as a surprise for him to use for old time sake.

Needless to say i was talked into another van load of goodies.

Alan took a couple of photos which i hope he will add to the post and I'll add mind when i get on the laptop

Yes Norm, it looks like it was made by the same manufacturers as the other one only difference is its longer and has drop sides and tailgate, it needs new wood and the usual tyres and tubes but im very pleased with today's haul

Its been a very hot and sweaty day and spent in good company, many thanks to Alan and John for their hospitality and allowing me to spend the day with them

A few more.  John was not feeling too good today but Chris did surprise him with his old horse and he enjoyed driving it again.

post-385-0-85901100-1435701693_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-92731700-1435701764_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-24143000-1435701835_thumb.jpg

Thanks again to Chris for helping to find more goodie's and clearing rubbish, including dragging a Merrytiller trailer out of the undergrowth, and a Westwood tractor from it's   ( as it thought ) last resting place.

Pam also went away happy with more bottles and a large HEAVY object which I thought was going to start divorce proceedings between her and Chris. :unsure:

Problem solved though, as Pam won. :)

Very nice that's two sets you've got now..... no need to be greedy ;) only joking mate, you going to design them so they lift? Or just plonk them on with a drop pin and drag them along? (Discs that is)

You can be  a proper, (nearly), Showman now, Chris. Tow two trailers at the same time. :D

I was going to apply for a job at gatwick baggage handling

Very nice that's two sets you've got now..... no need to be greedy ;) only joking mate, you going to design them so they lift? Or just plonk them on with a drop pin and drag them along? (Discs that is)

I assume your talking about the disc harrows Charlie, I'm hoping i can lift them off the ground

very nice trailer with pivoting front. I must say though, your going a little cheap on air in the right front, lol

All tires were inflated before removing from the barn, but when the tubes started protruding through the various splits we thought it best to let most of the air out again.

The two rights were really bad. Chris didn't want to hear loud bangs from the rear of the van on his way home. :)

Take the sides and ends of the longer trailer. Add hecks at either end, throw some hay on and you'd have a great show piece behind a tractor. :thumbs:

Hay feed for the towing horse. :rolleyes:

Four tyres and tubes fitted now and ive unloaded it from the van, i'm at Ardingly this weekend so will do photos Monday

You appear to have a never ending supply of tires and tubes Chris. :rolleyes:  Where on earth do you get them all from. :unsure:

I cant help myself, I go for new tires every time, I even pay to have them mounted. This may seem unbelievable (it was to me), but most major tires stores will NOT mount a used tire of ANY kind,  on a mower, car, or trailer wheel. In fact Walmart will not mount 2 new tires on the rear of a car without mounting two new ones on the front, They say its the law. I pay 27.00 for a 4.00-8 or a 16x6.50-8 so it doesn't pay to mess with used tires, especially if you have to pay to mount them. Around here tubes cost 10.00 with tax and most come from China and will pop quicker than a dime store balloon. One thing about buying new is at my age they will last a lifetime.

I always fit my own tractor tyres, i have a tyre machine in my workshop and worked in tyre shop.

The small ones are easy to do with levers and don't take long and as the usage is mainly on grass at the most at 7 or 8 mph they don't need balancing.

As I'm really old , good used ones will see me out 😀😀😀