Alan

GET ME OUT OF HERE.

After approximately 40 plus years of captivity, John's Fordson has made a hasty exit from the barn it called home. The front tire was inflated just before the move, but

after a few minutes the air inside decided it wanted to escape, and made it's own way out through the tube and sidewall with a loud BANG. What a waste of air.

Much to everyone's surprise, all the wheels rotated, the steering was free, and the move from barn to loading was done in about 25 minutes, via a combination of pulling       and pushing.

It took almost as long strapping it down on the trailer and checking for loose bits that might go awol on the way to it's new home.  Thanks Philip and crew.

A few photo's which could have been better. The sun is never in the right place.

post-385-0-68346600-1435433200_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-79076300-1435433290_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-92976400-1435433365_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-92989100-1435433434_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-69302900-1435433497_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-62459800-1435433572_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-90227200-1435433689_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-64962900-1435433777_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-64785800-1435433870_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-48882500-1435433972_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-01543800-1435434081_thumb.jpg

That's amazing ! didn't think it would have come out that easy, I see you used a land rover would't the Bolens pull it :lol: 

Didn't want to risk breaking it Chris. Not before you have a test drive anyway.  :D

That's amazing ! didn't think it would have come out that easy, I see you used a land rover would't the Bolens pull it :lol: 

Engage diff lock and some weight on the back, easy for the Bolens. :)

I was going to bring my E1A Major up to do the shifting & loading but my brother in law, Terry, said he'd assist with his Landrover. :) .

He towed it to it's new place as my van is limited to 2.8ton & i haven't the fogiest of the trailer weight let alone the tractor & winch. It looks safer behind a Landy. :)

Philip

It's a shame the 450's got a shot tyre otherwise i'd just bar it behind my Major.  :) I'll see what the Inter weighs; i wouldn't want to be the wrong side of the law, not by to much anyway :D.

Heading back today we passed a female officer but she just gave us a smile.

A late thanks to Alan for the photos :thumbs:

Philip, you did a great job moving the tractor and it looks so much better out in the light. Great pictures from Alan too.

Iain

Philip, you did a great job moving the tractor and it looks so much better out in the light. Great pictures from Alan too.

Iain

Thanks Iain. With a bit of planning i hoped it would go ok. I popped up there last week with Terry to show him the ground & way out etc. We just hoped the wheels turned & that it steered.

It certainly does look better in the daylight.

With my other Standard we used the trailer winch & van winch together but to unload it the plugs were removed, reverse selected & we cranked it off the trailer. That was hard work.

You to did a good job of packing those tractors into your van. :)

Philip

It's a shame the 450's got a shot tyre otherwise i'd just bar it behind my Major.  :) I'll see what the Inter weighs; i wouldn't want to be the wrong side of the law, not by to much anyway :D.

Heading back today we passed a female officer but she just gave us a smile.

A late thanks to Alan for the photos :thumbs:

Google tells me 2700KGS. Thats petrol version. Yours is diesel B)

Google tells me 2700KGS. Thats petrol version. Yours is diesel B)

Thanks Chris. I found a foreign website that mentioned the weight at 2750kg.

Here's our other Standard Fordson. The orange parts (excluding wheels) date from roughly 1939, the green parts 1942 & the engine from 1945. When we first picked it up it was all green but after a good wash the orange reappeared. :)

At present the tank & carburettor are off but the new valves are in & compression is lethal. When the head was off i noticed the pistons were stamped 60 thou oversize.

Once i get the manifold & carb back on i'll try & get it running with the water leaks & split block still to do. :)  The wheels are Major ones, put on to make it mobile but I have the originals.

Philip

post-451-0-99534200-1435526565_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear you got it out OK, it looks so much better in daylight!

Tom

hi Tom.

Yep got it back ok; apart from busting a ramp off the trailer whilst unloading. I didn't like them anyway & will look out for some removable ones or make some. :)

It was being a bit of a monkey trying to push it round a corner due to the worm & wheel back end but we did it in the end.

The tractor certainly does look better in daylight. I'm hoping it looks better still after a wash off. ;)

hi Tom.

Yep got it back ok; apart from busting a ramp off the trailer whilst unloading. I didn't like them anyway & will look out for some removable ones or make some. :)

It was being a bit of a monkey trying to push it round a corner due to the worm & wheel back end but we did it in the end.

The tractor certainly does look better in daylight. I'm hoping it looks better still after a wash off. ;)

Don't forget to dry it properly after washing. You don't want it to go rusty.  :hide:

It's had a bit of a wash today followed by a spray of diesel to 'enhance' the rust :D

Todays push / pull vehicle was my Fordson Major, which being dated to 1954 makes it only 10 years newer than the N. Some where in between the two came the E27N Fordson (1945 to 1952).

Unfortunately the O/S/F tyre didn't stay on the bead but did stay on the wheel. Re-positioning the bar got it moving in the right direction but did bend the bar.

The bluey green isn't the correct colour for the N as it should be green throughout (excluding the wheels) but if i can get it running it may be left as is for a while.

The offside wing was also loosened to allow it to pivot back round into its correct place. Now the drive chain & gears can be seen. 

Having left diesel in the bores to loosen the rings the next job is to fit new front tyres & tubes & possibly strip the carb' to stop it flooding.

Philip

post-451-0-98518000-1436011893_thumb.jpg

post-451-0-59860200-1436011958_thumb.jpg

post-451-0-22327400-1436011985_thumb.jpg

Could it be ex-RAF with that winch on there?

I'm not sure. I'll have to do some research although i believe the RAF sometimes used the Industrial spec model N, some with lighting & drum brakes etc. 

This one may just be a winch tractor for tree work etc but with the date on the winch (if that's what it is) dated May 1944 & the tractor a similar age, give or take a month, it may have been with the RAF or similar.