HeadExam

My Best Friends New Bolens HT23

I found a Bolens HT23 on craigslist, my best friend and fellow collector Garoyl Humphrey from Vinita, Oklahoma has been on the hunt for one for some time. Initially he wanted a first year 1979 model, but after finding out about the selector knob on later models that allows the switching of the front and rear hydraulic lifts he realized that was too advantageous to pass up. The tractor was 1,033 miles due west of his location, in Flagstaff Arizona. He drove out there in one day slept in the truck, picked up the tractor, and returned that same day, well 3 am. He returned with a low hour 1985 Bolens HT23. Being in the desert the green faded in places, but the white stayed true as did the decals. The tractor ran strong and came with a front blade that both lifted and angled hydraulically, an authentic late model Brinly BB-1004 rear reversible blade, 3 point hitch, wheel weights and the small selector knob i mentioned on the rear fender, With petrol and cost of tractor he got out of the desert for less than 2500.00 US. BTW. The original owner ordered this from the factory without power steering. The reason why is that this originally had a snowblower and was used in the high Rocky Mountains not far away. You can tell the tractor had a snow blower by the front brackets that held the helper springs on the front of the frame. Back to the P/S the reason the owner did not want it was that the P/S comes directly off the pump, before any other systems, lifts or drive. With P/S power would b reduced from the drive unit and would also slow the front blower lift. I've driven these large frames sans power steering it doesn't take much more than two fingers IF the steering column and steering parts are in good order.

post-384-0-03793200-1437703621.jpg

post-384-0-94901800-1437703622.jpg

post-384-0-73631600-1437703624.jpg

post-384-0-31709400-1437703626.jpg

post-384-0-20085800-1437703628.jpg

post-384-0-09930400-1437703630.jpg

Very nice. I have missed out on a couple of these over the years :(  :angry:

Iain has one which I am sure he will post a pic of for use to see ;)  :)

Nice looking unit :thumbs:  :thumbs: :thumbs:

That rear blade looks like it might be the ARPS 3-pt. blade.

I really can't understand the Original Owner's thinking on the PS unit.  Deleting it might theoretically make the lift faster, but in practice it most likely wouldn't be noticeable.

Not to mention that if it had helper springs for the snowcaster, that means it was the huge, HEAVY 2-stage caster, and why anyone would want to use one of those without PS is beyond me. I know that steering with the Haban Flail-Mo on the HT20D takes a lot of effort, and while it is heavier than the single stage caster, it isn't as heavy as the 2-stage.  Guy must have been pretty danged stout  :D :D :D

That 'selector knob' doesn't do anything with the hydraulics.  All it does is lock the 3-pt in the raised position so that you can disconnect the lift rod going to it and use front mounted attachments without having to take the whole 3-pt unit off.  In use, you raise the 3-pt, push in the knob, and then disconnect the lift arm. 

That 'selector knob' doesn't do anything with the hydraulics.  All it does is lock the 3-pt in the raised position so that you can disconnect the lift rod going to it and use front mounted attachments without having to take the whole 3-pt unit off.  In use, you raise the 3-pt, push in the knob, and then disconnect the lift arm. 

I don't understand? There is a knob that allows the rear hydraulics to be used without removing the front attachments and visa-a-versa. How does not that have anything to do with the hydraulics? I understand it isn't like a valve or work directly ON the hydraulics, but it does seem to function with the hydraulic system and has something very few other HT23's had or at have on them now. Many HT23s I see are missing the knob. Apparently there are many owners that lose their knobs, I guess it happens when we get older.  :D 

It has nothing to do with the hydraulic system.

It's a mechanical lock up for the 3-pt.

It is a standard part for the 18086 3-pt hitch for the HT series tractors.

It's generally missing on used 3-pt hitches because the PO didn't know, or didn't bother to remove it from the tractor.

Here's the 18086 instruction manual that shows it and describes it's use.

18086_3pt_Instructions.pdf

What a fabulous looking LF Bolens! I can only dream of finding one in that condition with all those attachments. A nice find.

I would love to see a video of it in action.

It has nothing to do with the hydraulic system.

It's a mechanical lock up for the 3-pt.

It is a standard part for the 18086 3-pt hitch for the HT series tractors.

It's generally missing on used 3-pt hitches because the PO didn't know, or didn't bother to remove it from the tractor.

Here's the 18086 instruction manual that shows it and describes it's use.

OB, would you please explain what has to be done in order to use this feature. Neither he nor I understand the dent function of the implement and how it works on both front  and rear implement function. His manual doesn't even cover the lockout knob and he can't find a manual that explains the complete function of the option. Thank you.

The manual I posted pretty much explains it.

You raise the 3-PT to the top and then pull the knob/shaft.  That moves a piece that will go between the frame and the arm on the 3-PT which keeps it in the raised position.

That's useful for transport as it takes the stress off the hydraulics.

It really has nothing to do with the operation of any front mounted attachments other than it allows you to use them without having to dismount any of the rear 3-PT attachments.

If you disconnect the lift rod from the tractor's rockshaft to the 3-PT rockshaft, you can then use front mounted attachments without raising and lowering the 3-PT.

Remember, the front and rear implements both raise and lower using the same points on tractor's rockshaft.

I think once you guys get 'hands on it' you will see what I'm talking about.

Now, just to add some more confusion, there were also optional 'lock up' kits for the tiller and front blade.

Those allowed you to leave the tiller or front front blade mounted while you were using other attachments.

Here's a link to a lockup kit for the front blade that was sold on eBay some time back.  It's a long story, but I actually ended up with it as the 'winning bidder' was trying to pull some shenanigans.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Bolens-Model-18113-P-N-1736718-Blade-Lock-Up-Kit-Fits-ALL-Largeframes-/331480209892?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=uKx7K%252FIPo%252BFKzbCtAqstSTd4eAg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&rmvSB=true

The manual I posted pretty much explains it.

You raise the 3-PT to the top and then pull the knob/shaft.  That moves a piece that will go between the frame and the arm on the 3-PT which keeps it in the raised position.

That's useful for transport as it takes the stress off the hydraulics.

It really has nothing to do with the operation of any front mounted attachments other than it allows you to use them without having to dismount any of the rear 3-PT attachments.

If you disconnect the lift rod from the tractor's rockshaft to the 3-PT rockshaft, you can then use front mounted attachments without raising and lowering the 3-PT.

Remember, the front and rear implements both raise and lower using the same points on tractor's rockshaft.

I think once you guys get 'hands on it' you will see what I'm talking about.

Now, just to add some more confusion, there were also optional 'lock up' kits for the tiller and front blade.

Those allowed you to leave the tiller or front front blade mounted while you were using other attachments.

Here's a link to a lockup kit for the front blade that was sold on eBay some time back.  It's a long story, but I actually ended up with it as the 'winning bidder' was trying to pull some shenanigans.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Bolens-Model-18113-P-N-1736718-Blade-Lock-Up-Kit-Fits-ALL-Largeframes-/331480209892?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=uKx7K%252FIPo%252BFKzbCtAqstSTd4eAg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&rmvSB=true

Thanks, I have several of the seminar books 1972, 1986, and 1996 the latter list these different and newer options and attachments. I understand now that the Bolens HT23, nor any Bolens, is like my Ariens GT14H which has two rock shafts or my Massey 1650, Massey 1450, and Wheel Horse D-160 which have two cylinders and a separate valve that can alternate between front and rear lifts. The guy he bought it from indicated a different explanation on the rear knob, I don't collect anything that new or with more than one cylinder, so I don't know. I appreciate the information and will pass it along and want to thank you for the time it took to explain it all, that was very considerate. Thanks, Alain