Darmic1

Atco 12" Cylinder mower

Hi!
You all seem to be having fun at the rallies........The weather seems kinder this year!
I hope someone is able to refresh my memory on how to test a coil on the little Atco Villiers 79cc engine??? I seem to be having a senior moment and have totally forgotten!
This is for the engine I had as a spare. I'm fitting it to the little 12" Atco I accquired at Ardingly, which Kev and I shared. Have managed to source a grass box for it, and have gotten a new ignition lead. The rest is stripped and currently at the blasters. So the engine is getting a makeover and currently has no spark!

Edit! Here's a picture Before it was separated from its engine, its all I have as my phone has been randomly deleting photo's???

post-106-0-86083700-1439333125.jpg

Hello Darren, Common problem with old Villiers Coils. Fine copper wire and old shellac varnish to insulate it.

Usually the Secondary windings that go, so to test one, it is advisable to disconnect the Coil from the Condenser first.

I find it quicker to de-solder and remove the Low Tension wire from the Coil, rather than dismantle the Points box.

Set your Meter to Ohms connect red lead point to the HT Lead contact point and the Black (com) lead to the steel central core Rod end (earth/ground).

A serviceable Coil will produce a reading of between 3-5k ohms resistance.

The primary circuit (Low Tension Coil to Points) is tested with Red lead on Coil wire contact (where is was de-soldered from) and the black lead onto the Core rod for earth/ground.

Should have a reading of 0-3 ohms if good.

New manufactured ones are better, as they use modern materials internally, but are identical externally. Don't be tempted to buy a New/Unused old one.

Regards

Hello Darren, Common problem with old Villiers Coils. Fine copper wire and old shellac varnish to insulate it.

Usually the Secondary windings that go, so to test one, it is advisable to disconnect the Coil from the Condenser first.

I find it quicker to de-solder and remove the Low Tension wire from the Coil, rather than dismantle the Points box.

Set your Meter to Ohms connect red lead point to the HT Lead contact point and the Black (com) lead to the steel central core Rod end (earth/ground).

A serviceable Coil will produce a reading of between 3-5k ohms resistance.

The primary circuit (Low Tension Coil to Points) is tested with Red lead on Coil wire contact (where is was de-soldered from) and the black lead onto the Core rod for earth/ground.

Should have a reading of 0-3 ohms if good.

New manufactured ones are better, as they use modern materials internally, but are identical externally. Don't be tempted to buy a New/Unused old one.

Regards

Richard would this method work on coils from other small engines? Thanks, Alain

Hello Alain

Richard would this method work on coils from other small engines? Thanks, Alain

Hello Alain, I don't see any reason why not, after all, we are only checking the resistance and passing a low voltage from the Meter's battery through it.

I would imagine the readings/resistance values may differ though.

Cheers Richard, I thought it was something like that!!!

Initial testing says secondary windings knackered! Not a cheap fix then........

No, not cheap Darren. well not if they're the same size as the Coils in my Villiers. There are several sizes and prices vary. I need one as well, but my supplier is out of stock at the mo'.

Cheers Paul and Gareth, have managed to source a fairly new, tested and working coil from George at Villiersparts for sensible money. He has no new in stock at the mo, and apparently neither has anyone else! At least another month before brand new ones are available again!

New replacement coil fitted and reassembled, sparking like a good-un!

Will get some photo's up this week.

All parts are back from the blasters and primed. Cylinder blade cracks all welded up and primed too. Hoping to get some colour on this week.......

As promised some pictures of this mower. Unfortunately I don't have any prior to starting this project as my phone has done the android 5.0 update, has had an episode and deleted all the pictures I had......... If anyone from Ardingly has any of this mower next to my restored 14" Atco, I would very much appreciate a copy???

So, here is where we are......... The mower was missing a grass box, one was sourced from the bay of E, not in too bad a condition, a few dents but nothing that cant be fixed.

post-106-0-25701700-1438957940_thumb.jpg

These are the larger parts back from the blasters. The rollers will require a small amount of metal filler to improve some of the deep pitting...... the rest is all in etch primer ready for paint.

post-106-0-66085200-1438958076_thumb.jpgpost-106-0-23206200-1438958099_thumb.jpg

All the Aluminium parts have been cleaned as have all the nuts and bolt. Threads cleaned, some fittings replaced. The carb has has the once over and required the housing to be 'heli-coiled' as it had stripped the thread for the banjo bolt.

post-106-0-08605400-1438959548_thumb.jpgpost-106-0-71867900-1438959574_thumb.jpg

I had a duff coil and purchased an almost new replacement. Fitted, and pleased to report a good strong spark. The engine is all ready to go back on the mower. Exhaust has been painted with VHT paint. 

post-106-0-42864500-1438959830_thumb.jpgpost-106-0-53097700-1438959850_thumb.jpg

These 2 pictures bring us up to date....... Yesterday I welded 15 cracks in the cylinder blades, Vee'd them, drilled a small hole at the end on the crack to prevent it from running, and then welded the crack and hole both sides and smoothed out with the flap disk. Here it is with todays progress, the 1st bit of colour........ Also painted the clutch mechanism and the flywheel cover......

post-106-0-66810400-1438960182_thumb.jpgpost-106-0-17175600-1438960199_thumb.jpg

Have managed to make a good bit of progress in the last couple of days. The rollers have been filled, removing the very deepest pitting, etch primed and painted silver. Also refitted the flywheel cover and secured using new brass screws.

post-106-0-96300800-1439333517_thumb.jpgpost-106-0-73141300-1439333393_thumb.jpg

All the Aluminium parts have been cleaned as have all the nuts and bolt. Threads cleaned, some fittings replaced. The carb has has the once over and required the housing to be 'heli-coiled' as it had stripped the thread for the banjo bolt.

Should have posted for one in the Wanted section. I have very clean, undamaged, spare V508 Junior Carb Bodies. 

Progress and work is looking good :thumbs:

Fantastic work there Darren, she will look great when she is back together.. Looking at the photo's reminds me of a Webb I restored long ago..

Thanks Ian....... Couldn't resist starting to put it back together! Managed to get this far yesterday....... the cylinder and bottom blade are being dropped off at a mates for grinding. He works at a golf course and will be doing it over his lunch break.

post-106-0-20367100-1439546628_thumb.jpgpost-106-0-04757300-1439546705_thumb.jpg

Refitted the cylinder and bottom blade yesterday, adjusted them, and did the 'shiny paper' test......... nice pile of confetti! Then put the rest of the machine back together, but it got too late to start it up, A job for today maybe? 

post-106-0-44625500-1440241976_thumb.jpgpost-106-0-90473100-1440241994_thumb.jpg