bubbalove

wheel horse front loader

hi guys I was sat thinking while I had a shovel in my hand while filling the trailer being pulled by my wh has anyone built / got a wheel horse with a front loader. I appreciate that they probably wont move tonnes and tonnes of stuff a day but would certainly save the back. I've had a look on red square and I see there is 1 or 2 articles on front loaders on there but I think they have had some sort of loader to start with possibly off other types of machines and is in the US. Its in my head now and if any of you guys got any do's or don'ts advice would always be the best place to start, I've got a c-161 and im thinking if im going to do a front loader I may need to expand my herd but any advise would be great if anyone has done 1 or no's of anyone that may have pics or plans it would be great to get a little knowledge before going in the deep end thanks lads tom

P.S if I am going to expand my heard what would be the best W/H to try and fix it to do any of you guy have 1 for sale ????

RS is the best place for build plans and info.

Many people have made their own, there's a thread right now on one. Jim (Mith) on the old forum made one and there's a couple floating around in the UK.

Finding a genuine example or ark one in Europe is like hens teeth!

Keep thinking I need to build one myself...

C-161 would be a good one to use, there's only D series, 1045, GT14 and C-195 that ran 15 inch wheels and had some weight to them.

The later 300/400/500 make good tractors for it usually because of big engines or hydro.

Main issue most people struggle with is getting enough weight on the back, then once you solve that the front axle load is too much and the steering too heavy.

520h with swept axle and reduction steering get around this, they are pretty rare over here, esp the reduction steering.

Good luck!

Well if it helps........

I have 2 Bolens tractors fitted with front loaders.

I have yet to take any pics of the latest find but it wont take mutch to get going again when I have the time

Did hear a rumor of a D series WH with loader for sales many years ago in T&M but what ever happened to it we may never know

Well if it helps........

I have yet to take any pics of the latest find but it wont take mutch to get going again when I have the time

Did hear a rumor of a D series WH with loader for sales many years ago in T&M but what ever happened to it we may never know

Chris,

Get that photo up of your latest Bolens FEL. It will be.a real treat.

Cheers

Andrew

Well if it helps........

any pics would be great thankyou

you dont need 2 machines with loaders on i think you should let 1 go ha ha ha

I will get some pics of it up when I get a chance to take some,

Its at the back of my storage barn atm. Why I did not take pics of its recovery I do not know :angry:

You can find more professional plans at PFEngineering.com

I built a backhoe with their plans but not the loader. The plans are detailed and cover every component so there's no guessing plus a proven design.

You could also build a basic frame and arms with wood first because wood is quick and easy to make changes too. That way you can get it how you like it before all of the harder work of cutting, welding and drilling the steel.

finaly got round to getting the cutter out and waving the stick welder about so I thought id give you a little up date on this haven't received the rams yet so I haven't welded on the ram pin plates yet but they are cut  ready but I just thought it would be better to wait just incase they not the size stated my next port of call will be to make the bucket

im thinking that the loader arms are to long but ill see when I get the bucket made and on

post-316-0-06061200-1445430983_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-26461500-1445431089_thumb.jpg

Are you going to extend the frame underneath to fasten at the back? And why are the front tyres the wrong way round? :P

tyres was on there when I bought it a few weeks ago !!! yes going to extend it so there is 2 bars 1 either side on the axel was going to leave them long so that I can mount oil tank across the back also double the wheels up at the back as ive got a spare set or rear rims (just need tyres) I seem to remember a post about filling the rear tyres with antifreeze or something ill have to have a look at past posts I just thought that would help with the weight distribution   

I still think that either the front arms are to long or the whole frame could do with going back 6or 10 inch but to be fair if I did move it back I wouldn't get the bonnet up ????

Looks good so far but you may be right about the arms being a little long. Keeping it tight to the front will require less weight in the rear plus a better turning radius. 

Here are some basic plans to help some with the design and maybe give some ideas.

http://myoldmachine.com/files/category/3-large-uploads/

I have a factory Ark loader and can get you any measurements or pics if you want them.

Looks good so far but you may be right about the arms being a little long. Keeping it tight to the front will require less weight in the rear plus a better turning radius. 

Here are some basic plans to help some with the design and maybe give some ideas.

http://myoldmachine.com/files/category/3-large-uploads/

I have a factory Ark loader and can get you any measurements or pics if you want them.

a picture would be great if you have 1 as it would give me a better idea of what the finished thing looks like

first time I've managed to get any work done on this but I thought id just put a few pics on so you can see how its going with working long hours and waiting for parts to arrive not a lot been done but here you go :fingerscrossed:  :fingerscrossed:  :fingerscrossed:  :fingerscrossed:

post-316-0-52778200-1448373108_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-07619400-1448373264_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-53726800-1448373414_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-42826700-1448373564_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-23328900-1448373722_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-04041500-1448373828_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-06201100-1448373971_thumb.jpg