Alan

Unusual Items. To me anyway.

A few of the many smaller items found during the clear out at John's. 

Not seen a square like this.  Think I can guess it's purpose.  Anyone else know.

post-385-0-63465400-1442779437_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-27747400-1442779653_thumb.jpg

A nice little Dial Gauge.

post-385-0-38940900-1442780024_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-75705500-1442780208_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-11077600-1442780281_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-39356700-1442780333_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-97639000-1442780382_thumb.jpg

This item must have a use, but what.   Turning the spindle, for want of a better description, revolves the inner dial which is geared down. Revolving the dial via the small knob does NOT turn the spindle which has 3 flats ground on the end. The outer dial will not move. Possibly jammed. This and the dial gauge made by Starrett USA. 

post-385-0-22164900-1442780691_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-72531800-1442780793_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-01055500-1442780886_thumb.jpg

I think the last one could be a depth gauge. The outer dial will be fixed, the inner dial turns to give you the depth. The spindle will go straight out or in. Not revolve. I think there is one the same, or similar and a dial gauge,  in my late father's tool box. I'll have a look tomorrow.

I did wonder if it was some sort of depth gauge.  The spindle does appear to have an outer sleeve.  It may be jammed.  If it is a depth gauge, can't see why it needs 3 flats on the end. And why does it revolve. ?

Very nice Items Alan and a good teaser Thread.

Just guessing with the Square, but wonder if it's for checking/setting bent tubing of a fixed diameter to 90 degrees?.

The Dial Indicator is superb. I love these little precision Tools/Instruments.

Reckon It is used for centring round bar or tube stock in a 4 jaw Chuck, either on the circumference, or setting the rounded Ball end in a previously centre drilled end or bore.

As for the last item, I think Norm is on the ball with a Plunger type Tool. and hope he solves it for us.

I can't  be sure from the pics, but wonder if it has included angles of both 55deg and 60 degrees ?. If so, maybe it is for checking threads in some way?.

If not, maybe for checking the 'Lead' angle of Worm Drive Gears or something?.

What I can't see, is how a measurement can be taken with the instrument/tool just held in the hand, unless there is a 'Stop' or register on it that provides consistency of measurement.

Edit- 4pm local. It is as Koen said (missed his link) and Norm vaguely recalls. It's a rev counter....had me stumped!.  

Thanks Norm, Koen, and Richard for the reply's.

And as seen via Koen's link, the rubber cone is missing from our find.  Maybe it's still among the junk in the caravan. :rolleyes:

Never thought it would be a rev counter. Nothing like the digital one's I have used occasionally at work.

Had a look in my fathers tool chest today. The one he had is not there. Maybe sold off with other tools of his and his brothers some time ago. I ended up so much after their passing, that I would never use. Pointless keeping things that would most likely be thrown away, after my day.

Same with these three items, and others, that John rescued while helping to clear the workshop of a late friend of his about 15 years ago.

As he already had enough tools of his own these extra's were stored in one of the caravans.  A lot of these have unfortunately suffered from the damp conditions although some could still be used with a bit of a clean up.

Things have now come full circle as we are now clearing John's property, due as most will know, because of his ill health and his need to move to a more convenient location.

A real shame things have to happen this way. I treasure and use the Tools and things that belonged to my Father.

Hope they end up going to the likes of people on here to continue their usefulness, rather than for them to be junked.