Anglo Traction

Oldest Tool(s) in your Toolbox

Thought I'd start this Topic, as I wonder just how many of us have the old, maybe inherited Tool that you know is old and has been used regularly for as long as you can remember. It would be interesting to see them.

This is not my oldest one, but I've managed to find out a lot of info that confirms it's age, as well as adding to the Archived information. Considering it is a simple common type Tool, I'm surprised there is so much info.

I give you  the humble--     Adjustable Bicycle Wrench (Spanner) Made in U.S.A, as so many of my old tools were.

DSC00427.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

I've established it can only have been produced before 1911, as the Patent Records confirm it and the Company changed the Maker/Identifier Stamp in 1910, and the Model E only shows the later version Stamps in the records. 

Mine shows Model E, but has the older Stamp indentifiers, so the Model E was made before 1911.

Here's a research site I used trhat verifies it -

http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/billings-spencer-company.html#billings-adj-early

Yes , it's in a sad state and a bit worn, but still works.   So what do you have in the old Tool Box?.

I rememder having something like that , infact the one i did have was a massey fergusson one .

I will go and have a rummadge round the shed to see if i can find it .

This early '58 RJ is the oldest one I have that left the factory with a toolbox...

but I must admit, I am partial to the looks better without 'em fitted up though.  

you all have got me wondering what I have,i know that in one of my tool boxes I have a mole trap and a gin trap,but they wont count,must have a look.the mole trap was always set in the lid section of the box and the gin trap was set between the castors on the lowest cupboard. this was to catch other mechanics borrowing or stealing my tools

Edited by simar kid

post-109-0-86033400-1391459513.jpgpost-109-0-78132100-1391459540.jpgpost-109-0-63714000-1391459568.jpgpost-109-0-41799700-1391459593.jpgpost-109-0-61785100-1391459615.jpgI was given a load of old taps and dies yesterday (one minute I didn't have any now I have about 200). I came across these but don't know how to use them, I think there must be a special handle for them, they are numbered in order 1-4. they are American according to the makers stamp

yes paul the 1 to 4 is the order of threading from start to finish and the other piece which holds the section is tubular with cut outs for  your thread cutters

Thanks for that, I will have to see if I can find the handle, it will be about somewhere in the mounds of disused tools.

that's a nice pic of the lab/ retriever mines enough problems without wings

I believe you have there, a set or collection of 'Thread Chasers'.

They are used to finish a Thread that has been cut using a Lathe.

The basic Cutting Tool use to cut the initial Thread Form in the Lathe does not always have the correct shape to produce the 'Crest' or 'Valley' of the thread form, so they used those 'Chasers' to clean them up and set the profile.

The 'Holder' that they fit into can either be a 'Hand' operated Carrier like a long Handle of a Wood Turning Chisel  or a Floating type Tool Holder that is fitted to the Lathe.

Edit :- Paul , were they made by Starret by any chance?.

Regards

I had a set of those dies from my late uncles garage. Sold them at an auto jumble a couple of years back. No holder though. Still got some Whitworth and B.S.F. dies and taps.

Edited by Stormin

Hi all

I will have a look at the makers stamp somewhen, I have loads of the above mentioned taps and dies kicking about.

If anybody would like the items pictured  you could have them as not much use to me.

Paul

I don't go out of my way to collect old tools but over the years a few have got into my toolbox for one reason or another so here's one for you (click to enlarge)....

post-103-0-52215600-1391625704_thumb.jpg

The method of construction fascinates me, obviously an adjustable wrench and pretty old but what is its origin? I can't help thinking that maybe it was part of a set of tools suppied with something mechanical and somewhere someone is desparately looking for one of these.

Any ideas guys?

Andy

I'm inclined to agree Andy, look's very much like part of a Kit. Can't find any similar in initial Patent searches.

Very good economic, robust design with the ACME Thread. 

The Square Grip Jaws could be for the square heads on Plumbing & Pipe Fittings?. 

Not my oldest tools, but still quite old.

20140129_153831_zps1a5654d4.jpg

No idea on the make, but something tells me it was not made in the UK :D

20140129_153839_zpsb4bf4249.jpg

A King Dick sporting a "war finish" as it says.

20140129_153850_zps956c76a4.jpg

20140129_153858_zpse6e77ae3.jpg

The dies shown in post 10 are from the a ridgid (or similar) thread cutting machine. They fit into a die head in numerical order as has been suggested and can normally be adjusted for depth of cut and released by rotating one half of the die holder against the fixed half.

http://www.amazon.com/Diehead-RIDGID-97065-Automatic-Oiler/dp/B0015RWYPQ