Rocboni

Ransomes ITW

Well I'm afraid I've been hiding something from you all for about 5 months, I have busy re creating a rare if not singular example of a Ransomes ITW. Its taken a lot of hard work and to be honest I'm glad it's finished apart from completing the snagging list. The original is believed to be a one off, prototype machine which pictures are all that's left (as below)

IMG_1210_zpsceyjdi28.png

IMG_1211_zps2rxbndvr.png

The likelihood of me coming across an ITW let alone buy one was very low, then even if i did find a genuine one I would have found it hard to cut it up to make it into the replica, so I started with a donor MG6... Here Jonathan is loading it with the help of a winch tractor to bring it back up for me from Hereford.

P1200198_zpsamowa8qv.jpg

I mainly made it for the Ransomes display at Malvern in February. Everybody has there own opinion of replica machines and cars and sometimes they are not appreciated the same but hopefully this one will because as far as we know it is been lost to us all and re creating it is a good thing.......

IMG_1197_zps6rjyjqkc.jpg

IMG_1195_zpswnnbwiau.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpss7y3yrtu.jpg

IMG_1191_zps4vwliiyo.jpg

I do have a video but not worked out how to upload it yet...

To give you some idea of the engineering involved... the main shafts which hold the wheels are 90mm bright bar and the parts which hold the sprockets are 190mm!

ipad%20254_zpsgpd1m0uu.jpg

ipad%20253_zpsjjyztvku.jpg

ipad%20255_zpsfvmycx1u.jpg

ipad%20257_zpsytjxumgv.jpg

The engine came separately from a nice guy in Peterbourgh who kindly took a large hit to sell it to me from what he paid!

Hope you like it.......

Edited by Rocboni

Stunning workmanship.

In my view, there's a time and place for creating a replica and this is such a case in point as you are obviously an enthusiast for the Ransomes. Any replica created is a skill which I do not possess.

Looking forward to seeing a video of it soon.

Awesome work, that looks fab. Really good replica!

I'm sorry I was moving house and just didn't get the time to help with the decals. Titch does a top job though!

:thumbs:

Thank you, I took great care not to let the standard slip, I have just baught an identical mirror to fit, it would have been easy to fit somthing that looked vaguely like it but l held out until one came up and it paid off.

I understand it's a stressful time, no problem.

Edited by Rocboni

Basically the fact that it has a steering wheel and a step through body, and lights..

Amazing, looks like the real deal! Great skills you have!

Only 2 years older than yourself Charlie, it's amazing what you can achieve when you put your mind to it..

Now that is just fantastic.

How does the steering wheel opperate the brake bands??

The steering wheel has a pulley which has a wire rope anchored to it, as the wheel is turned it pulls on the rope, pulling on the brake. The whole wheel actually pivots at the bottom and if pulled towards the driver it will pull both brakes on and has a ratchet mechanisim, so acts as a parking brake. It was quite difficult to figure out from the limited pictures available!

I did add a electric start on the engine, the original didn't have that thought, just a dynamo to run the lights.

Edited by Rocboni

Rhys you have to be congratulated, the workmanship and attention to detail is superb. When are you delivering it????

Thank you Jonathan, as soon as we agree on a price.......😬

Fitted the mirror and battery, battery is modern with all the labels removed and a Lucas decal applied.

post-294-0-80930900-1443460975_thumb.jpe

post-294-0-50794700-1443461020_thumb.jpe

Nah! garage all cleared out now loads a room especially with my tent as a back up!

Seriously this is a superb machine, Ransomes developed it for use towing barges on canals and general shunting duties but I think the timing was wrong the idea of the steering wheel was  to give a more precise response on the steering avoiding the risk of snatching which can occur with levers and could risk tipping into the canal.

Malvern is getting close so I Started to make the rear drawbar hook that was used to clasp the canal barge tow ropes, it's cut from 1" thick plate and 1" bar bent to shape.

I need to taper the round bar and mill a slot so they can be pinned together, then make the latch lever.

post-294-0-43780000-1454746644_thumb.jpepost-294-0-30648500-1454747019_thumb.png