Stormin

Wheel Horse Sickle Bar.

I agree, Chris, but I couldn't find a pulley small enough. Those I could find would foul the brake pedal.

But all is not lost. I hope! :fingerscrossed:  I remembered about an hour ago, that there was a box of Husqvarna bits tucked away under the far bench that I'd overlooked. Found a smaller diameter pulley in there that may do the job. I'll have to modify the tensioner shaft, but I've an idea how.

1 hour ago, ranger said:

If you've another bearing Norm, put two side by side:thumbs:

I do have another bearing, Doug, but the end of the shaft was turned down from metric to accommodate the bearing that is imperial. Bit awkward to turn down now.

This morning I sorted out the belt tensioner. I cut the end off the tensioner where the bearing had fitted. Turned a sleeve to fit the I.D. of the insert that goes in the pulley bearing. Then put it all together.

I refitted the tensioner to tractor, same way as before and gave it a try. Now the flat of the belt was running in the V of the pulley. Not really an Ideal thing, plus the belt flapped a bit. So a bit of thinking and trying different positions, here is what I ended up with.

5954e551783f5_2002-01-0119_04_35.jpg.38b5bb66add40df1bab2e19ecfe99321.jpg

Seems to work fine and as soon as I can I'll give it a trial.

Stripped it down this morning and got it all painted.

5956ab7f212a9_2002-01-0222_14_14.jpg.4eb02a185f0396cb89e24ea4e14d0950.jpg

Put it all back together tonight and a problem rear it's head. The cutter was sticking. So off came the bar and I removed the blade. Soon saw the problem. Paint had got onto the slide. A clean off with emery clothe and back together I could pull the blade back and forth easily.

Back on the machine and it ran fine. I gave it some oil and left it running for 15 minutes. Couldn't resist the temptation and tried some paper through it. Cut it without problem. :thumbs:

Maybe get to try it on some grass tomorrow.

Fantastic job Norm, it looks great.

I have a Haban sickle bar mower and they are a very handy tool. I used mine in the vertical position once to trim the side of a hedge and it frightened the life out of me.

Iain

Finally got around to trying out the sickle bar this afternoon. I'm really pleased with it to be honest. Took it down the overgrown bridleway past my home. Long, heavy, thick damp grass. Did two passes. One down, then one back up. Result below.

595fbf2376de6_2002-01-0100_00_08.jpg.ab9fc358c84d70ff4a69f825d6052bf9.jpg