Triumph66

Bolens 850

On 14/11/2016 at 2:04 AM, HeadExam said:

I may have to pick your brain for info on the 850, a young man nearby has one and he wants a deck from my 1556 and I do not know if it will work or not

From memory, the mounting brackets on the deck from my H16 is different than the one on my 850. As Chris said, I am sure Iain will come along presently and confirm this.

Alain,

Generally, any Tube Frame deck will fit any Tube Frame tractor, the only exception I’m aware of is 600 decks and tractors. The two things you need to take into account is the way the deck attached to the tractor and that you are looking to put a deck from a hydro lift tractor onto a manual one.

The earlier tractors had rectangular brackets fixed to the underside mounting plate, circled in red in the picture below. On the very early tractors like an 800 the back of the deck attached to the rear axle attachment fixings. If your deck needs these rectangular brackets you just need to take them off the original tractor and put them on the 850. deck.jpg

Later tractors used attachment pins which fix onto the bottom holes on the underside mounting plate. I seem to recall that as standard a 1556 uses this method (although as Chris has all the 1556’s in the UK, this is just an assumption :rolleyes:). Again you just need to remove these pins from the 1556 and put them on the 850. Pins look like this.

s-l300.jpg

The deck lift bracket is different on a hydro lift to a manual lift and in order to put the 1556 deck on the 850, the bracket needs to be changed. They come up all the time on the auction site. In the picture below the bracket with the blue text is the part on the deck that the lift lever fits on. The two brackets with yellow text are the lift brackets, which as you can see are very different for manual or hydro. For a 850 you need the one on the left, the one on the right is for a hydro.

Deck attach1.jpg

I hope this helps and my rambling makes some sence.

Iain

On 11/18/2016 at 4:58 AM, slf-uk said:

Alain,

Generally, any Tube Frame deck will fit any Tube Frame tractor, the only exception I’m aware of is 600 decks and tractors. The two things you need to take into account is the way the deck attached to the tractor and that you are looking to put a deck from a hydro lift tractor onto a manual one.

The earlier tractors had rectangular brackets fixed to the underside mounting plate, circled in red in the picture below. On the very early tractors like an 800 the back of the deck attached to the rear axle attachment fixings. If your deck needs these rectangular brackets you just need to take them off the original tractor and put them on the 850. deck.jpg

Later tractors used attachment pins which fix onto the bottom holes on the underside mounting plate. I seem to recall that as standard a 1556 uses this method (although as Chris has all the 1556’s in the UK, this is just an assumption :rolleyes:). Again you just need to remove these pins from the 1556 and put them on the 850. Pins look like this.

s-l300.jpg

The deck lift bracket is different on a hydro lift to a manual lift and in order to put the 1556 deck on the 850, the bracket needs to be changed. They come up all the time on the auction site. In the picture below the bracket with the blue text is the part on the deck that the lift lever fits on. The two brackets with yellow text are the lift brackets, which as you can see are very different for manual or hydro. For a 850 you need the one on the left, the one on the right is for a hydro.

Deck attach1.jpg

I hope this helps and my rambling makes some sence.

Iain

Makes perfect sense, thanks so much!

43 minutes ago, Triumph66 said:

Bumped for Scott's interest.

Interesting read indeed. I’m going to keep my eyes open for a spares/repair 850 to possibly use parts for my restoration just in case I run into trouble finding any of the parts .