Cub Cadet

Cub Cadet 70 restoration

Coming on really well, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Every time I look at this thread it makes me want to do mine but I just can't bring myself to do it!

Tom

Coming on really well, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Every time I look at this thread it makes me want to do mine but I just can't bring myself to do it!

Tom

Thanks Tom, I can't wait till it is finished. Yours has a nice patina, I would leave it!

Thanks Tom, I can't wait till it is finished. Yours has a nice patina, I would leave it!

I think I will, I'm waiting for another one to pop up.. I think I may be waiting a while! I'm still yet to see another with the same hitch as yours and mine, very weird,

Tom

I think I will, I'm waiting for another one to pop up.. I think I may be waiting a while! I'm still yet to see another with the same hitch as yours and mine, very weird,

Tom

Hmm I would like to know who made them, someone obviously spent a lot of time on them because they don't look like they have been knocked up in five minutes.

A few more bits done over the weekend and yesterday.

post-463-0-35853900-1455654311_thumb.jpe

Finally started work on the other side of the chassis which was in a worse condition than the other side, we replaced the side in three sections so that the chassis didn't twist.

post-463-0-32957200-1455654532_thumb.jpe

Just before welding in the last piece.

post-463-0-08822700-1455654821_thumb.jpe

post-463-0-94120700-1455655013_thumb.jpe

Finally finished all of the repairs on the chassis, it just needs its final coats of primer and then I can start on the yellow paint :D

With thanks to my grandad the tyres have been taken off the rear wheels so I can start cleaning them up.

post-463-0-75487400-1455655180_thumb.jpe

post-463-0-32827600-1455655300_thumb.jpe

Some more bits sandblasted

post-463-0-32407200-1455656771_thumb.jpe

Nice work Ewan, your find the blast cabinet so handy when it come to cleaning up the rear wheels..  Way better than doing it by hand..

Thats what i'm thinking :D, I remember what a pain they are to clean up from when I did my C-121 resto 

Looking good Ewan, the chassis is looking awesome, you have done a great job of it.

Tom

Cheers Tom, I'm very pleased with it  :)

You're doing a cracking job Ewan, I'm looking forward to seeing the tractor at Newby Hall !! :thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks Paul!

Looking really good ewan I bet you have plenty of red paint kicking around the workshop :D

Yes but it's not going anywhere near my tractor! :D

Come on Ewan.

You could paint it Red. Yellow. and White. Be different from every body... :hide::hide:

Ive seen them painted in red, like a farmall and they look good but I'm going to make this one original.

Long overdue update but here are some photos of what I have been up to. 

image.jpeg

Here is one of the rear rims which is in a really bad state, it's nearly rusted through in places and the centres are really bent but I've done my best to straighten them out.  

image.jpeg

One of the spot welds had expanded with the rust so I used a dremel to try and grind as much out as I could and then we filled it with weld. 

image.jpeg

In the meantime I'm looking for a set of 6 inch rims that are in a better condition if any one has any? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The transmission and chassis had their final coat of undercoat and are ready to paint with yellow. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

One of the track rod ends was rusted on and even with some heat it just snapped the threads off so my dad made this nifty repair.  :thumbs:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've now sandblasted some more bits and they have been primered. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I got some new bearings and reassembled the starter generator which is now nice and quiet. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The rims have been painted with IH white and then the tyres are being fit this morning, with a bit of hope the weather will stay dry and I can paint the rest of the rims this weekend. 

10 hours ago, Stormin said:

When you've got it finished, Ewan, I'll have a Raider 10 you can do. ;)

A GT14 is next on the list ;)

9 minutes ago, the showman said:

Good bit of progress Ewan, well done mate

Thanks Chris. 

A little bit more done last weekend, here are some photos. 

image.jpeg

Thanks to my grandad and uncle all of my tyres have now been fitted, I bought some tri ribs for the front as the old tyres were in a really bad state. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I masked the wheels off and then painted them all, so far they have had two coats and I'm hoping to get a third and final on today. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've started painting parts in yellow now, ignore how neon the yellow looks it's only the first coat. I have now put a grease nipple in the front axle so hopefully it should never seize up again. 

image.jpeg

I have now bolted the chassis and the gearbox together so that they can be painted together. 

image.jpeg