Joe,

I have always wanted a vintage farm tractor like the classic grey Fergie as I drive one back in the early 80s on a farm in Sussex. Bring back a lot of memories. If I ever get a house with some land to play with I will get one along with my Bolens yo have a good play.

Is the one you got? It's a little unusual compared to the more usually seen Grey Fergies.

post-259-0-58699600-1452725763.jpeg

Joe,

I have always wanted a vintage farm tractor like the classic grey Fergie as I drive one back in the early 80s on a farm in Sussex. Bring back a lot of memories. If I ever get a house with some land to play with I will get one along with my Bolens yo have a good play.

Is the one you got? It's a little unusual compared to the more usually seen Grey Fergies.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Yes that is the one! hopefully mine will look like that soon, maybe in a few months! if you were to get one, try and get the Massey 35 the newer one with the 3 cylinder petrol engine, easy to work on and easier to start! but I like the diesel power!

I haven't had time to look at the tractor as I am really busy at work, everyone wants there plant machinery serviced and lawnmowers! so will hopefully look on sunday and update you all!

Regards Joe :thumbs:

I have put some clean diesel down the bores, I just ordered some parts from agri line, I'll show you them shortly and I started looking at what needs doing to the head and radiator, I'm going to empty the diesel out on Friday and heat the cylinder up and pore oil in the bores hoping it will expanded a bit and will help brake the seal between the rings and the liners!

Regards joe

well everyone, not good news on the Ferguson! I had a go at moving the cylinder, but no chance! in the end after 3 or so hours lightly hitting it, I got the sledge hammer out and waked them with it and a block of wood, there wasn't even on inch or a mm of movement. I think the bearing are seized, in the crank and because the cylinders are at the top and bottom of their stroke it will take a bit to move it! so its on hold now, until at least a few months! not very happy but i'm very busy with the business and customers! so there wont be much update for a bit of time!

I'm almost thinking of selling it and buying a different tractor! but not sure just yet, so no-one get any ideas ;)  :)  

regards Joe :thumbs:

If, when you bought it there was oil in the sump I think that it unlikely that either the main or big end bearings are the culprit  - unless , of course the engine had seized in use . As you have suspected, the steel / cast iron rings have most likely seized to the bores/ liners.

Can you drop the sump and slacken off all the bearing caps and see if there is any "rock" on the crank?

I have a look and give you an update soon! just really busy at the moment and I was hoping it would move last Saturday, but ill keep you posted!

im building a shed for it so its all closed off and secure and doesn't get rain over it as its in one of our barns but at the moment it gets covered in rain as it a barn with no sides!

Regards Joe