Ian

Webb cylinder mower turns into a Trike!

The story starts many many years ago when I bought my first ride on, or should it be "ride behind" mower. This rather old Webb

Webb11_zpsa5478a1b.jpg

After a quick oil change and a clean of the spark plug it was soon put to work creating stripes across the lawn..

Webb10_zpsaf32ff39.jpg

At some point I decided to pull the Webb apart for a repaint..  Parts everywhere :D

Webb24_zps72e9d66d.jpg

At the time this was the size bench I had for "mower work"!!!

Webb18_zps1305b2ed.jpg

The seat/roller thingy had some extra pipe welded on..

Webb27_zps86a95fbf.jpg

Painted and plated :)

Webb36_zpse483dcfd.jpg

Engine work on a sunny day.

Webb3_zps51a57cd1.jpg

Webb2_zpse7f3af44.jpg

For some reason I never did take any photo's of the finished repaint, these are the best I have.

Webb38_zps8c3f6409.jpg

Webb39_zps319d9ffd.jpg

So once again the Webb was put back to work cutting the lawn, until I got a bit bored of it's slow speed and decided to do a bit of home tuning..

A more free flowing exhaust..

100_1611_zps79614398.jpg

And a straight inlet manifold to replace the old "up draft" manifold which I thought was a very strange way of getting  fuel into the engine!!

100_1610_zpsa4d1cf7f.jpg

So with the new home made high performance bolted on the engine, she was fired up, warmed up and driven gently to the straightest and longest bit of lawn I had...

Full of hope of at least reaching 7mph I opened the throttle right up...

5 seconds later there was a loud bang from the engine and I saw something fly out the front!!

DSC_0031_zps6adcc9f7.jpg

Yep that's a busted con rod gone through the block!!

DSC_0030_zpsa3ca47ed.jpg

I did replace the engine with a 4hp Briggs I had floating about, but it felt gutless with no power!!

So a change had to be made   ;)

With some chopping and changing a new slightly bigger engine was fitted into the Webb frame.. A Kawasaki Z200 engine with custom 1 into 2 exhaust that flowed into two Harley end cans which Garry turned up with one day :)

TheBeast2.jpg

TheBeast15.jpg

A view from the back, Atco fuel tank and a pedal to take care of gear shifting.. A Webb with a 5 speed box don't you know :D

TheBeast1.jpg

As I had the rest of the bike the engine came from I thought I might as well fit the headlamp and indicators just for the laugh and to see the look on peoples faces :D

TheBeast3.jpg

The Z200 dash installed..

TheBeast14.jpg

The rebuild after painting the frame.

TheBeast4.jpg

A new tow behind seat thingy was built. Here's the bare frame..

TheBeast11.jpg

By this point in the build I had picked up a second Kawasaki Z200 for spares, which came in handy  :)

Wanting driver comfort a custom independent suspension was built. Here's Garry with a Z200 swing arm that was turned into a wishbone thingy.

TheBeast6.jpg

A view from underneath..

TheBeast13.jpg

The nearly finished rear end... Independent suspension, Z200 front wheels with cable operated disc brakes, and a rear light cover I made from some computer case panels..

TheBeast9.jpg

The Z200 speedo was relocated to next to the seat so I could connect it to the speedo drive on the right side wheel.

TheBeast10.jpg

The rear brakes were operated by this lever just in front of the seat..

TheBeast12.jpg

The grass box getting a flame job..

TheBeast16.jpg

Ta Daa.....  I never did get round to fitting a good seat to it :D

TheBeast19.jpg

TheBeast17.jpg

TheBeast20.jpg

I still had hair back in those days :D

TheBeast24.jpg

TheBeast29.jpg

Top speed was about 30mph which is as about as fast as you would want to go down a gravel track still on the Webb's original steel roller!!

So how did it turn into a trike??

Your going to have to wait until later to see that part, got things I need to get done this morning..

To be Continued....

shame of the big hole in the block, what engine make was on it? engine looks familiar.

Koen

I'm sure the original engine was a Briggs of some sort.. All this happened a very long time ago, so the brain cell's are straining a bit to remember :D

yeahthat.gif Awesome, if not impractical concept, trying to work out the ratio of speed - distance and emptying the

Grass Box :yankchain: .      Thanks for resurrecting that one Ian...,......or is it Heath Robinson :)    

yeahthat.gif Awesome, if not impractical concept, trying to work out the ratio of speed - distance and emptying the

Grass Box :yankchain: .      Thanks for resurrecting that one Ian...,......or is it Heath Robinson :)    

I would imagine the cylinder running at 3x speed there would be no grass to collect... just smoke :D

awesome mods to that old mower

Koen

Thanks Koen

Now I don't know which I prefer. Nigels trike or that.

You ain't seen nothing yet :D

wow!!!!

another project I didn't know about, I can start to piece a few more of your crazy ideas together and see where some of the bits came from :D

:D I tend to use what I have kicking aboot the place and make it work

Awesome, if not impractical concept, trying to work out the ratio of speed - distance and emptying the

Grass Box  .      Thanks for resurrecting that one Ian...,......or is it Heath Robinson :)    

Howdo Richard, I thought it might of been a sensible move to remove the cutting blades... So I did :D

I will answer to either name :)

I would imagine the cylinder running at 3x speed there would be no grass to collect... just smoke :D

Had the blade still of been on, they would of had a hard time reaching the grass anyway.. The Webb did like to bounce about a bit and not spend that much time still in contact with the ground :D

So onto the conclusion....

The "Webasaki" was used through out the summer and lot's of fun was had.. But as you would expect by putting too much power and speed through something running on steel rollers it did over time shake it's self apart!

TheBeast23.jpg

TheBeast22.jpg

TheBeast26.jpg

Knowing it wouldn't hold together for much longer something had to be done...  I did attempt to fit a Westwood trans and wheels to it, but the center of balance would of been way too high!

TheBeast30.jpg

Then one day Garry walked into the Shack.. Had one look at the Webb and said, "Why not turn it into a rear engined trike?"....

Why not I thought, and the Webb was soon stripped down..

TheBeast31.jpg

Pete turned up during the first mock-up, I think the grin says it all.

The plan was to use the Webb seating trailer thingy frame as the main chassis for the trike...

TB4.jpg

Out came the hacksaw and off came the rear suspension mounts..

Frame1.jpg

And fresh steel added to widen the rear a little so I could bolt on the Westwood trans.

Frame3.jpg

Westwood (Peerless) trans used to get it's power in from a pulley at the top.. The top pulley thingy was soon ripped out of the trans..

DT2.jpg

And a sprocket was bolted to the trans brake disc to get the engine power back in, in the direction I needed.

DT3.jpg

Rather than make new engine mount's I reused part of the Webb frame as it had the mounts already made, which the sharp eye'd of you will notice is actually part of the Z200 frame.. I like to recycle :)

Frame8.jpg

I remember welding the extra bracing on at 3 in the morning when I used to have the energy to do all night Workshack sessions!!    And yes I was single back in those days :D

Frame11-1.jpg

The trike slowly coming together..

Frame13.jpg

More to come later.. I need to sort out some more photo's.. And kick myself for not renaming them so they are in any kind of order!!!

hurry up!!!!!

I'm hooked...

Working on it mate..  It's hard to work through the folders... some are dated, some say things like bodywork or drive train.. None of the photo's have been renamed!!  I was lazy with my photo's back in those days :rolleyes:

Nice trike Nigel :thumbs:

I take it back Heath :rolleyes: . Now it's looking more like a 'Stig Job'...thought it was only Symphonies that were 'unfinished'....Like Mark says, waiting !!.

.............Nice 'Bo Trike; Andy :thumbs:    

A little bit more before my dinner is ready..

This er.. Interesting set-up was made to get the power from the engine to the trans.. Yes that is a reinforced box spanner on the left side of the sprocket!

DT5-1.jpg

The box spanner bit slot's onto the nut that fit's on the bike gearboxes output shaft.

Pic5_zpsd4a8fd5f.jpg

A couple of these chain adjusters were made..

DT7_zps56f6c72b.jpg

One side bolted in place.

DT8_zps992f1db0.jpg

The complete chain adjuster from above..

DT6_zpsca1e06fe.jpg

To help the engine keep it's cool behind the driver seat, this cooling fan was installed..  It's a car heater fan but I've not idea what from..

Pic3_zpsb06a2494.jpg

With a bit of fiddling I managed to graft mini moto brake discs onto the trans axles..

RB8-1.jpg

A trimmed down Kawasaki Gpz305 caliper could just be fitted inside the rear wheels!! 

RB9.jpg

More later, dinner is ready :D

Thanks Neil..

Dinner eaten and a few more photo's found :D

I wasn't happy with how the front end looked, it needed a bit more rake and a bit more length..

Chop chop.

Frame15_zps17279755.jpg

Gone!

Frame16_zps984bb60d.jpg

Some box section was welded inside to put the strength back..

Frame18_zps1c774f04.jpg

Plated and painted over.

Frame19_zpsea98f99d.jpg

Time to sort the bodywork out..

A Kawasaki Gpz305 fuel tank was fully washed out..

Tank2_zps311f8c31.jpg

And sliced open so I could get it to sit low over the frame.

Tank6_zpsbe4c9aec.jpg

Fitted with the filler hole plated over..

Tank8_zps800e63ca.jpg

The real fuel tank came from an old J.A.P engine that was attached to a water pump.

Engine5_zps821b2aa3.jpg

Rear wings were made from box skinned with ally sheet.

Pic1_zps9f542225.jpg

Bodywork2_zps43cc3a43.jpg

Fitted.

Bodywork5_zps1e6d2625.jpg

A cover for the battery was quickly folded up.

Bodywork11_zps3403274e.jpg

As the rev counter was now quite a way from the engine, I joined two rev counter cables together to make a rather long cable.. Don't ask me how I did it, I can't remember!

Bits9_zpsf286fcc1.jpg

By rather long, I mean 81 inches long :D.. Despite the length it worked well with only a little "rev lag".

Bits8_zps6b67d3e4.jpg

Joining two clutch cables was easy.

Bits6_zps87008bbe.jpg

Some of the electric mounted.. This was all hidden under the seat.

Bits5_zpsb38433e2.jpg

The chassis stripped down for final welding and painting.

Bits1_zpsfe54776b.jpg

Reassembly begins after painting...

b10_zpsc60e4971.jpg

Coming up next the final part and some fun painting..  But first I need to pour myself a glass of red wine :D

Thanks Koen, over the years I've become quite good at fitting square bit's of steel into round holes...... Of course a hammer helps :D

By "fun painting" I of course mean a flame job... No brush painting this time... I wanted better than that..  So a bit of internet shopping later I had an airbrush and paints on the way..

Before we get ahead of ourselves here, let's get the slightly more boring bit out the way..

Apart from the air brush paint, all the rest of the paint came out of rattle cans..

Loads of primer first which was flattened down once dry.

Pic11_zps3e42f9d9.jpg

Then the black... 

Pic12_zps73bf007c.jpg

The black was very carefully flattened back to a smooth finish taking care not to sand through to the primer..

Pic13_zpsf13d55df.jpg

Before I started laying flames on the tank I thought I should have a play with the airbrush first.. A good move as I had never used one before..

A few test panels..

100_1054_zpsd0e21ea2.jpg

Pic9_zps938007f7.jpg

Pic8_zpsb7d7806b.jpg

Happy I was starting to get the hang of the air brush, out came the fine line tape to lay the flames on.. No templates here, it was done free hand :D

Pic14_zps55ed2cf2.jpg

Lot's of masking tape was used to cover the parts I didn't want to flame.

Pic15_zps05a37bbd.jpg

A light dusting of white went on first.

Pic16_zps5ba7d2e5.jpg

To help the blue stand out more.

Pic17_zpse9c1fe71.jpg

De-masked..

Pic18_zps70c73ab2.jpg

The next part did require a custom template thingy..

Pic6_zps51079398.jpg

Once again white went on first, followed by yellow.

Pic7_zpsaceb3b19.jpg

Some orange and red highlights were added.

Pic8_zps14409e0c.jpg

Stig unmasked :D

Pic9_zps529b2f7b.jpg

Only one thing left to do, the clear coat..

PICT0018_zps5daa4730.jpg

Pic10_zpsac2b7eb4.jpg

Awesome  Ian !. Like the Airbrush work. Have an affinity with that, did a lot of it in the 70s on Cars etc. 

Super recovery to the Trike. :bow: . Fab Skills are terrific. Did it ever go Road Legal ?